Go to page
25of 140,557
  • 44 messages
  • May 01, 2024 23:22
added
prices
info pages
On April 30, Duane Eddy died at the age of 86. He was one of the leading guitarists of the 60s.
Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 216 messages
  • May 01, 2024 22:22
added
prices
reviews
Yet I regularly see the Series item used to offer an incomplete series.
Raoul62 an incomplete series is a condemnable item in my opinion. A complete series is an extremely useful item for me. If there is a series, always use it above individual items, otherwise I add the series. Series of individual items is very easy to handle. Series-of-individual-items-except-if-a-se-tenant-exists-because-then-it-takes-priority leads to more work for collectors, sellers and, due to misunderstanding among importers, more work for administrators.
Show original message
nlae
VIP+
  • 241 messages
  • May 01, 2024 22:07
added
prices
Different stamps issued in a block is a block not a series - Tear off the edges it is a se-tenant and not a series - Tear off the stamps and you have a series of loose stamps - If everyone agrees, then we are still finished ?
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 21 messages
  • May 01, 2024 22:06
added
prices
reviews
May 01, 2024 22:06
Thank you everyone very much, it is clear now.

If, as Raoul62 said, the real French also give their opinion, that would be very nice
Show original message
  • 4,075 messages
  • May 01, 2024 21:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews

se-tenant and series are not synonyms. That you can see a se-tenant as a series, soi, but certainly not the other way around. To date, no one has been able to explain to me in three words why these are equated.
Even with many words you cannot answer this question.

Be careful when you quote. That you add the correct user. Think soon
everyone that I wrote those words :)
I don't see a question mark in that piece.
If it has to be in three words, then unfortunately I have to pass. I think there are few things about philately that you can explain in three words.
Unless you accept 'it's in the manual' as an answer... that's in three words.
Show original message
  • 2,197 messages
  • May 01, 2024 21:19
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Collectioneur
The manual is still confusing.
Under art. 10. State Type :
● A Series consists of 1 or more stamps.
It is only specified under 10.14 that they may only be loose stamps.
A Series is an item depicting the individual stamps from a current issue group
be bought and sold in its entirety as a series.

If this new definition has priority, then a Series may not contain any Se-tenants.
And also no stamps with tab, combinations, machine stamps, roll stamps, varieties, etc.

In any case, it is not logical to say that a se-tenant containing the entire series should not be included as a separate item. After all, such a complete se-tenant is a legitimate item that differs from other manifestations in the Issue group. However, the Series is no more than a combination item, which would be disapproved as duplication in any category other than Stamps, and which is only permitted for commercial reasons.
Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,784 messages
  • May 01, 2024 21:05
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Especially not because we will then get rid of the nonsensical discussions about se-tenant once and for all.
If I follow your reasoning, only commercially interesting "Series" remain.

Raoul62
se-tenant and series are not synonyms. That you can see a se-tenant as a series, soi, but certainly not the other way around. To date, no one has been able to explain to me in three words why these are equated.
Even with many words you cannot answer this question.

Show original message
  • 4,075 messages
  • May 01, 2024 20:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews
It is an exceptional case that is explicitly mentioned in the Stamp Handbook, since the beginning I assume. I follow the manual.
As 'Series' is also explicitly mentioned as an exception (but in the highest basic manual).

However, that extra rule (exception) to the exception is not clear. Many times I have left an item completely in doubt for a long time (sometimes it works out over time, when the loose sheets appear). When do you know whether stamps from a separate tenant have also been issued in single sheets?
Do all stamps of that se-tenant have to be issued loosely in sheets, or is it sufficient if 1, or half the number, has also been issued in loose sheets...
Is it necessary to round or round off to determine the half?
Now you can reject a 'series', and tomorrow a sheet will appear in the catalog for a single stamp from that se-tenant ... which suddenly provides proof that > 50% of the stamps from those se-tenant sheets are made per stamp.

For me, the exception to the exception is too much. No more and no less.
If you want to go to the other extreme, that's fine with me. Then there will be guaranteed an additional influx of serial items. In addition to the other outstanding reviews... it may not matter, one more or less.
With such a change, a transition phase will be necessary. A big.
All those se-tenants that are now also serial... and you can't get them out with any LD drug!
However, all those hanging on it should still receive a message. You have job security Collectioneur :)

Another (bold) solution, very simplistic, is to move away from se-tenant as a type to LD in the stamp catalogue.
Just as we do not allow pairs, blocks of 4, blocks of 8, etc.: get rid of the se-tenant.
That solution would score very high on the 'clarity' scale.
Then (at least) one series item can be added anywhere, in every issue.
Those who wish to sell their blocks of 4 can do so with the item of the loose stamp, their own image and an explanation in the comment.
If you want to sell a se-tenant, you could do so with the series item, your own image and an explanation in the comment.
Didn't I also say that when offering a se-tenant, your own image should always be added?
Not such a bad idea if you ask me.
Especially not because we will then get rid of the nonsensical discussions about se-tenant once and for all. Triple win!
Show original message
  • 1,054 messages
  • May 01, 2024 20:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews
April 30: Paul Auster (77)
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,367 messages
  • May 01, 2024 20:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews
We recently just defined the Series type and it only talks about individual stamps.
Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,784 messages
  • May 01, 2024 20:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Raoul62 se-tenant and series are not synonyms. That you can see a se-tenant as a series, soi, but certainly not the other way around. To date, no one has been able to explain to me in three words why these are equated.

It is not relevant whether this was already in the manual in 2013 or not.

By the way, it has been stated in another thread that series are determined on the basis of commercial popularity and therefore has a certain arbitrariness. A maximum se-tenant will always be the same (in order), regardless of which source (paper catalogue) you prefer.

I therefore agree with the simple formulation of az60 (and nlae )

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,265 messages
  • May 01, 2024 19:44
added
info pages
reviews
And when the peace doves run out, they can continue with the homing pigeons .
I didn't even know those stylized themes. It is indeed also an option. Totally agree.
Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,265 messages
  • May 01, 2024 19:35
added
info pages
reviews
In this way, a buyer or collector never knows whether he/she is actually purchasing a complete series
I think you mean the same as Helv
- a se-tenant is and always remains the largest possible combination of different seals attached to each other. That is often the series.
- tenants of fewer stamps are not allowed
- the se-tenant is never included as a type of series, even though that is often the case
- the type of series remains reserved for the individual stamps.
Show original message
  • 4,075 messages
  • May 01, 2024 19:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I don't think it's a good idea to also classify se-tenants as a series. This does mean that a transition phase is necessary.
Do you know the LD stamp manual?
I don't understand how you see a transition phase for something that is explicitly stated, right now, in the manual. As far as I know, it has always been the case (well before I started at LD). I still have an old copy here (2013) where it was already mentioned.
"this will be included once as a series and se-tenant"
It is mainly the following formulation:
" Only if the stamps of the series have also been issued separately, will both the series with individual stamps and the se-tenant be included separately."
That is a great uncertainty, unknown, doubter.
I propose to apply the same general rule in those cases: no serial item.
Show original message
nlae
VIP+
  • 241 messages
  • May 01, 2024 19:19
added
prices
I don't think it's a good idea to also classify se-tenants as a series

In my opinion, a bad idea - This way a buyer or collector never knows whether he/she is really buying a complete series - Moreover, it encourages everyone to add se-tenants regardless of whether it is a series or not - As said before a maximum se-tenants is also a series - There can be no misunderstanding about that
Show original message
  • 1,824 messages
  • May 01, 2024 19:15
added
prices
reviews
I think these belong in the heraldic animals section and would rather see them disappear with the birds of prey

Totally agree az60 . Stylized animals and Stylized birds are also a good option for this. And for the prey of the birds of prey, there are the Peace Doves .
Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,784 messages
  • May 01, 2024 18:57
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Collectioneur in addition to portbetaald
The definition becomes simpler and much more intuitive. This makes LD more accessible to new users and will lead to fewer errors.

I don't think it's a good idea to also classify se-tenants as a series. This does mean that a transition phase is necessary.

Furthermore, all reference works (paper catalogues) will be clear about the maximum se-tenant, but opinions differ about series.
Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,265 messages
  • May 01, 2024 18:47
added
info pages
reviews
Are owls still classified as birds of prey, or is there a separate group?
The order Falconiformes (birds of prey) included the birds of prey, vultures and falcons. However, the falcons turned out to be more closely related to parrots and songbirds. That is why birds of prey and vultures were placed in their own order: the Accipitriformes. This group of birds are closely related to the owls which are placed in their own order Strigiformes.
The term birds of prey has a limited meaning in biology, while in common speech it is used more broadly. There is also little commonality between LastDodo's various main languages. That is why I opted for the broad classification when defining the theme (perhaps in a somewhat unclear formulation):
Birds of prey include all species from the orders Accipitriformes, Strigiformes and Falconiformes.
Then it is a strict definition that best frames the theme of Birds of Prey. This seemed to me to be the best way to neutralize the differences in the 4 languages.
We are now at 68 pages of birds of prey. This is partly due to the heraldic animals . The eagle is of course a symbol on many weapons. I think these belong in the heraldic animals section and would rather see them disappear with the birds of prey, but that's beside the point. Furthermore, the owls have their own section, owls , so as far as I'm concerned they can also go to their own section. After that, the theme of birds of prey will probably be a lot clearer again.
Show original message
  • 4,075 messages
  • May 01, 2024 18:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews
"C'est chouette les chouettes."
I would also use " hibou " and " hiboux " (plural) throughout. But maybe that's because we learned it that way at school (a long time ago)...
What do the real French think? Maelyys domi36
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,367 messages
  • May 01, 2024 18:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews
portbetaald Jummeke Charles1971 Raoul62 Helv eva
The reported 59 combination items have been combined with the first stated LD number in the title in accordance with the agreement.
Please check whether I have actually merged all reported items.
Show original message
  • 916 messages
  • May 01, 2024 17:53
added
prices
reviews
reinierpower Charles1971 stripspeldjes nlae Collectioneur Just took a look at the French Wikipedia.
Hiboux and chouettes are names for certain types of owls in the French language.
And it has nothing to do with 'Ears'.
Those 'protrusions' at 'Hiboux' are called 'Eigrettes'.
And are above the ears on the owl's head.
Aigrettes: faisceau de plumes droites le plus souvent minces et effilées.
Translated as: bundle of straight feathers, usually thin and tapered.
And it doesn't just happen to owls, it also happens to other birds.
And set everything to 'Hiboux' in French. And Owls in Dutch.
With name variation Chouettes.
If that hasn't already happened.
The most common translation for owl is mi hibou.
So when you talk about all owls.
Also the human owls ...
Show original message
  • 1,824 messages
  • May 01, 2024 17:47
added
prices
reviews
The problem is reinierpower , different countries/languages have their own views on the animal kingdom. Sometimes it cannot be translated. Or one person falls into one group in one country, and falls into the other in another country (language).
It is better to use the Latin classification of the animal kingdom (and also flora).
For example the owls.
Owls (order) - Wikipedia

Owls are divided into two families, namely the Barn Owls - Wikipedia and the Real Owls - Wikipedia. The German Wikipedia provides more information.

The Eagle Owl (Bubo), in French (I think) is the Hibou. The Eagle Owl is a type of owl that belongs to the true owl family. This family (true owls) consists of several genera, for example Boeboekuilen - Wikipedia . As you can see, there are no pleats on the ears, so your kite won't fly.

If I wrote something wrong somewhere, az60 will correct/complete me. This one is a better expert in owl territory.
Show original message
  • 4,075 messages
  • May 01, 2024 17:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews
The alternative is to NEVER allow a [separate] serial item with se-tenant. That would be a lot clearer, and could work. If it MUST change, I will choose that option.

It could be formulated as follows in the manual:

"If in an Issue group the maximum se-tenant contains all stamps of a series, no additional series item is allowed (even if the stamps are also issued separately in sheets). One item is then both se-tenant and series (2 species)."

The series item is an exceptionally permitted combination item, to help users and administrators get an overview. That (maximum) se-tenant with all stamps of the series already offers that advantage of overview.
There should be no unnecessary items in the catalog that offer no functional added value.

You can never be 100% certain that both individual stamps and a serial item are complete. inherent to a WiKi. E.g. #843601 (incomplete series, only in the catalog for 14 years...). This is not a Michel catalogue, where dozens of people professionally publish a commercial catalogue.
As a catalogue, LD's stamp section is a product of collaboration. All on a voluntary basis, whereby it is possible to offer (sale) stamps with sufficient background (the data in an item).
Combination items on LD are prohibited. Except for that one exception:
the series item. Collectors and users benefit from it.
Normally a seller must put the individual stamps in a combination offer in the shop. The exception item gives them a handy advantage. There are > 100,000 serial items.
There are approximately 10,000 se-tenant items. Of which 3/4 do not qualify as a series (e.g. the connected Suida African pairs (Suit African and English).
There is always a problem with 'the seller must post his own image', and 'clearly state in the additional text whether the item is CTO stamped', in discussions about, for example, the lack of an extra condition (CTO). So as not to have to add an extra condition.
CTO applies to almost every item: Seal, Variety, Se-tenant, Block, Sheet, .... A very large part of the catalogue.
Se-tenant (maximum) which is also series... a fraction of the catalog.
And then suddenly a Series item becomes necessary?
Where necessary: own image. With se-tenant you always have your own image. A different order in a maximum se-tenant is sometimes very important. And we don't record those other performances either.

In addition, in addition to including a complete se-tenant, a series of individual stamps may also become a precedent for no longer allowing that one exception in the long term. Excess is harmful, and then there is usually severe pruning. Very hard and drastic. That would be a shame.
That is why 'incomplete series', 'overlaps between series' and 'differently composed series' are not permitted. A Stamp item can appear twice in the catalog: separately, and in combination (series / se-tenant). Yet I regularly see the Series item used to offer an incomplete series. Where it is stated in print 'Without the highest value'.

This is pretty much the reasoning behind it
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,272 messages
  • May 01, 2024 16:59
added
prices
reviews
We have no longer been involved in exports after the last adjustments. We will continue to work on this, but we cannot do everything at once.
Show original message
  • 216 messages
  • May 01, 2024 16:00
added
prices
reviews
Is there anything to say about this Rene?
Show original message
Go to page
25of 140,557