• LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 17, 2009 23:55
added
prices
reviews

Hi Puurveen,
You read it quickly :-)
The basic functions will remain free. We will also not charge a commission for small-scale collector shops.
However, the idea is to ask a small commission for larger shops somewhere in 2010 if something is sold (a few percent and only if something is sold, so no fixed amounts or something). We want to invest the income from this in further promotion and improvement of the site. And of course everyone benefits from that.
We thought it would be appropriate to announce this early.
In due course there will be a good transitional arrangement for existing shops.
greetings, René

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,194 messages
  • November 18, 2009 00:21
added
prices

night animal he rene
come back to it
just turn off the emotion
if you know what I mean

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • November 18, 2009 02:05
prices
November 18, 2009 02:05

As a shop owner, I am very enthusiastic about the new functions that are to come. The shopping cart system is going to be a huge improvement and will certainly lead to more sales. And for the shop owner it means an enormous reduction in the administrative burden, bundling and invoicing 10 items was quite a lot of work (and often leads to errors) and that will all be done automatically and clearly. That is also a huge plus compared to the E-Bay shops. It is no problem at all to lose a few percent for that - I like to do that for convenience and will soon be more than compensated for by the higher sales (because a trolley system invites you to do this). Ultimately, saving time is also profitable! And for the buyer it is also very easy and clear. Catawiki is attracting more and more visitors through a good promotion and I can tell you from experience that with a lot of money it is not possible to advertise against that. If I can contribute to further improvement and promotion with a shop fee, I would be happy to!

Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • November 18, 2009 09:27
added
prices
reviews

I understand very well that Catawiki is looking for a revenue model, but I also understand that there is now some criticism, because this is a bit ire at the “always free”. Maybe you just shouldn't have said that :-)
I would really differentiate between comic dealers and people who just want to sell some of their own comics. I understand that you ask comic traders for a fee: they will soon be offered a completely free shop system with the cash register system, where they are also very directly on the target group (in contrast to the marketplace). Very nice for the comic book dealer, but not entirely realistic that it would be free.
I could imagine that you make the shop system ( the new functionality ) a paid option (or therefore at a percentage) but that you keep the current system free (marketplace is after all). You can then choose whether you think the shop system (which may contribute to sales) is worthwhile. I think that in the end, owners of large shops will always opt for the functionality and time savings of the paid shop.
It seems difficult, and in some ways not entirely fair, to draw a line with: from now on you can only have so many items in your shop, or sell so many items. When you make the extra shop functions (shopping basket, etc.) a premium option, you do not have to make the distinction private / trader ...

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,425 messages
  • November 18, 2009 09:54
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@puurveen (and others)
You don't have to join. Then view the difference in income. What Catawiki is going to offer to the stores looks very nice. (I looked over the shoulder for a moment) so wait a little longer.

Show original message
  • 1,194 messages
  • November 18, 2009 12:35
added
prices

I don't really mind that catawiki earns money
in fact it should
but for me it concerns the point that the basic functions remain free
I understood that the shops also remain free
now the big question is what are the basic functions
I think that a private individual should also start paying
otherwise the private individual will have an unreasonable advantage
it must have equal conditions
so that no one is drawn to it
you could possibly exempt x number of products
eg the 1st 50 or the 1st 100
what is also possible is that, for example, you will ask for a commission for products of an x amount
whether shops can buy a kind of banner for the home page
ala admarkt the more you pay the longer and the more often you come to
kind of bar on screen that continues to rotate
just like with rtl z
on ebay it was also possible to invoice in combination
but that's not the point now
and of course I am happy with improvements
but there are other topics for
to celebrate
Catawiki does not receive fees from bol.com
I thought that remind me
but also that rene recently said that what was disappointing
had to do with linking or something?
in a nutshell make clear once and for all
what is free and always remains
equal conditions for everyone in the free area
develop more commercial activities
eg that book work nice idea
make sure you earn some money from it

Show original message
  • 318 messages
  • November 18, 2009 13:55
added
prices

@ Rene,
commission is ok,
but on what basis & gt ;?
on the sales amount or the number of sales?

Show original message
  • 104 messages
  • November 18, 2009 14:06
added
prices

@ rene
The sun rises for nothing, 100% understandable, MP EBAY also costs money.
If money has to be paid, some of the companies will probably drop out, as they can also sell the products well through their own website.
We believe that companies, for example, can advertise on your site with mention of the www address for a certain amount per month or per click. It also saves you a lot of administration, this is not an insignificant fact in our opinion.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 18, 2009 14:09
added
prices
reviews

We expected to be able to generate significant income from advertisements on Catawiki and from orders for new comics, books and music at bol.com through our site.
However, the advertising market is very disappointing in these times.
And with every item linking to bol.com, to buy it new there, we stopped as soon as Catawiki shops started selling more and more new comics. We didn't want to hinder our own sales people.
@ deblouw: we will rethink your ideas, thanks for the suggestions!
@ pureveen: the basic functions (viewing catalog, maintaining your collection and a small-scale shop) will certainly remain free.
@ stripsmagazijn: we think of a few percent of the sales price of an order (so only if it has actually been sold, no further fixed costs).

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • November 18, 2009 14:23
added
prices
reviews

you do not have to make the distinction private / trader
The distinction private / trader also has another reason. Traders registered with the Chamber of Commerce have some legal obligations that private individuals do not have. This concerns warranty (2 years on new and 6 months on used items) and right of return. (usually 14 days). This is EU law. At E-Bay Germany, a standard text is set for private individuals that you have no legal right to warranty / right of return. It is therefore important to us that the buyer knows whether the purchase is from a private individual or from a registered dealer. This does not mean that a private individual gives no guarantee - but it cannot be enforced by law. In addition, an official trader is obliged to place his address details and Chamber of Commerce number on his site.

Show original message
  • 1,194 messages
  • November 18, 2009 14:35
added
prices

Briefly Summarized
the business plan does not come true
that means pulling extra hard
will be nice if you got a little more money from bol
maybe see if that can be done better
/ although you will have /
what is called a small-scale shop?
that sounds vague!
for the 1 that is 100 items for the other
1,000 items
I mean only
and I read about a transitional arrangement what will that entail?
or does it still need to be discussed?
and yes, I am a bit fretful today with catawiki

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 18, 2009 14:46
added
prices
reviews
You are indeed crabby today :-)
And I don't think you read this about bol.com:

And by linking with each item to bol.com, to buy it new there, we stopped as soon as Catawiki shops started selling more and more new comics. We didn't want to hinder our own sales people.
We will come up with extensive information in due course. I wouldn't worry about it in advance. We will arrange it properly.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • November 18, 2009 15:04
added
prices
reviews

that means pulling extra hard
This also means that we will make a huge effort to make it even more attractive for the shops to move to Catawiki. I can assure everyone that it will also be very attractive. Shop owners can calculate what it costs to scan and describe each object themselves, to host a shop (I have now lost 2000 Euro per year at my shop) and not to forget to promote it. Basing your sales on the Catawiki catalog allows you to list many more items quickly than any other platform. And the collectors benefit from a lot of offerings and providers, making Catawiki even more than now the place to supplement the collection.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • November 18, 2009 15:54
added
prices
reviews

Probably when money has to be paid some of the companies will drop out, since they can also sell the products through their own website.
Hosting, maintaining and promoting your own website costs a multiple of what you will soon have to spend on Catawiki. Moreover, there is the "cost before the benefit". At Catawiki you will only pay if you actually sell something. And the nice thing is that you can also paste the Catawiki store in your own webshop. Shop owners are very capable of appreciating all the advantages of Catawiki and I do not expect shops to drop out. Thanks to the small fee, we can only make the total stronger and more attractive for all parties.

Show original message
  • 2,425 messages
  • November 18, 2009 16:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Probably when money has to be paid some of the companies will drop out, since they can also sell the products through their own website.
Let's hope these companies stay and the grocery mentality disappears.

Show original message
  • 104 messages
  • November 18, 2009 17:49
added
prices

@ ErikBoere
The total costs will indeed not be too much at Catawiki, which we have understood from Rene, yet all other costs such as hosting, mp, google will continue anyway, there are many types of potential buyers who buy their products in many ways, not everyone knows catawiki.
These are additional costs.
Of course not to forget Rene and all other employees, in our opinion they do their very best to make it a success, they put a lot of time into it and that is certainly worth a big compliment, that's why Catawiki simply has to earn money for this beautiful site. To keep it in the air, which is why we gave an idea to get money in immediately, let companies advertise on Catawiki for an x amount per month or per click. (We cannot of course assess whether this is feasible)
Commission per sold item entails a lot of administration, suppose a product is sold for € 5, -.
Commission 2% is € 0.10.
Having these costs paid costs more than it delivers.
@ Jilles
At companies it often has to do not only with wanting to stay but it must also be possible, everything takes time and at a company this time must be paid from a business perspective, we have made our hobby our job and are therefore always working on it, even if it does not generate money (it is also a hobby), nevertheless we have to be able to pay for everything at the end of the month and still have to make choices where we spend our time.

Show original message
  • 1,194 messages
  • November 18, 2009 18:48
added
prices

ha pl was fun again yesterday!
idd rene and associates are doing their best and also try to keep communicating well
some of them can still make a difference, for example organization rijswijk

Show original message
  • 104 messages
  • November 18, 2009 19:27
added
prices

@ pureveenboekenshop
Rijswijk is getting faster, today already an email back about construction times.
sorry Rene back on topic

Show original message
  • 497 messages
  • November 18, 2009 21:38
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I thought, let's not react too quickly this time. I think it is a worrying announcement, but I wait calmly for the rules. For the time being, I am not selling a beep through Catawiki, despite a fairly extensive shop. If, on the one hand, Catawiki is going to ensure a larger growth, I can imagine that there could be a commission in return. If not, and I would have to pay a high commission, then I only put my stuff on Marktplaats, because it is free there. After all, for me it is a hobby that costs me more than it yields. I am therefore very curious about the rules as I already wrote.
A point of great criticism: as a second reaction I see an “anonymous” (no avatar) member ErikB with a positive reaction. Click twice to learn that it is a Catawiki employee. That's not neat.

Show original message
  • 2,425 messages
  • November 18, 2009 22:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ pl-comics
Of course I understand that money has to be made, especially in the comic trade this is not easy nowadays; Then you should definitely realize that something beautiful like Catawiki cannot be done for free. If a minimal contribution is then asked - and among us, as a collector, who sometimes sells something, I am also willing to give up a part - one reacts a bit too strongly and I think that is not justified and certainly not in relation to all those volunteers who often selflessly contributed and made their time to create a nice catalog.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 18, 2009 23:17
added
prices
reviews

@ eric-t,
Well, you shouldn't look for a plot behind everything :-)
Erik Boeré has a separate account with which he offers Trading Cards with the shop name lossekaarten.nl. In the profile of that account he also has a link to lossekaarten.nl, his own site in this area which he has in addition to his stamp trade (he offers stamps through his other account ErikBoere).
When Erik responded in the forum last night, he was setting up trading cards in his shop with that account. Hence his reaction under that name. There was no further thought behind it.
If he had wanted to do that "undercover" then I don't think he would use an account called "ErikB" and link it to his own site :-)
greetings,
René

Show original message
  • 104 messages
  • November 19, 2009 01:06
added
prices

@ jilles
That catawiki cannot live on air seems logical to us, no one can, they put a lot of time and money into making this site something very beautiful.
We do not think that a commission on a sold item is the solution.
(maybe we are wrong too)
We would rather see something in a shop that costs x amount per month (many small amounts make a large amount), this could then become fixed income for Catawiki. This is also what we meant by:
that companies, for example, can advertise on the catawiki site, stating the www address, for a certain amount per month or per click.
Everyone can sell for free on other sites and otherwise it will look a bit like Ebay.

Show original message
  • 497 messages
  • November 19, 2009 07:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Rene: I'm not looking for a conspiracy behind it. It is my personal opinion that it is not proper not to make yourself known in this forum as a Catawiki employee. Either way, ErikB cannot be objective. He writes that he is a “shop owner”, then he can also write that he will earn money when other shop owners start selling something on Catawiki, and his opinion is therefore at least colored. But conspiracy, no, but the average reader does not know, and I think it would be neater if you make it clear in Forum posts that you are a co-owner or employee of Catawiki.

Show original message
  • 469 messages
  • November 19, 2009 10:51
added
prices
As I understand it, everything is still free, but only when selling comics is a "commission" asked. That makes sense because they make it possible for anyone to sell comics or other stuff through their site. It is and will remain a catalog and not an internet shop, but this option has been added.
Especially now that more traders are finding their way to Catawiki and are offering new comics, I don't find it strange that commission is being asked. It could also only have been a catalog WITHOUT shop function. When merchants and also individuals earn money through the shop, this is made possible by the catawiki employees. They could also have removed the shop or never had to add it, but they did.
It makes sense that they will then ask for money for this possibility, especially due to a lot of new supply. Actually, I think they should have done that much earlier.
@ Eric-t

quote I think it would be neater if you make it clear in Forum posts that you are a co-owner or employee of Catawiki.
I agree.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 47