5of 5
  • 77 messages
  • May 01, 2009 15:11
added
prices
reviews

The agreement was not to use the Direct Edition number addition anymore.. However, this still happens... :-(
For the comic collector who values the direct edition:
What “you” understand by the Direct Edition for Comics is the Standard Edition.
The Direct Edition mention is in the barcode.
But this is on all comics! even on the variant covers!!
There is nothing special about a Direct Edition Comics at all. It's even more special to mention that the comic is made of paper(lol)
Except…...(And now it comes)
With the Direct Edition TPB 's and HC's it IS mentioned..
Why?
That's because the direct edition tpb's are the counterpart of the newsstand edition tpb's (also called mass market editions).
These newsstand editions are for sale at GENERAL outlets such as 7-11, Barnes and Noble, Amazon and Bruna,.. So you will no longer find direct editions (since 1980) at these outlets.
The direct edition tpb's are only for sale at the comic shop.
In the case of TPBs and HCs
so is it true that the newsstand/7-11/mass market editions are the standard editions..so no suffix...and that the tpb's that are direct editions get the suffix A..
So direct edition Comics.. no addition
Direct Edition Tpb's.. an addition..
The reason for this confusion is that COMICS ARE NEVER OFFERED FOR SALE AT GENERAL Retail outlets such as Bruna, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
Just to be sure, 1x: Direct Editions do not get an addition..NOT THE LETTER A..except if it concerns a tpb or hc that is also offered at amazon.
Even if I'm wrong: Please still follow the system that www.comicspriceguide.com also uses .. :-P

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 215 messages
  • May 01, 2009 17:43
added
prices
reviews
Adding

direct edition as number addition makes no sense
But I do not agree to just copy everything from comicpriceguide and not to think if it fits in the structure of catawiki
are we going to adopt the sometimes illogical listing of comicspriceguide?
especially with albums where several cover variants are immediately available for purchase, they are immediately numbered with a letter
Just look up fathom volume 2 in comicspriceguide as an example and you will see the 1 (cover a), 1a (cover b), 1b (cover c) etc. and if I understand the explanation for the number addition field correctly then the most common edition is assigned the letter a if there are multiple variants of an album, even in comics
When importing comics, specific rules will be required, but it is not good to make deviations if the rules used for comics are properly applicable
the tendency here is to declare comicspriceguide a comics bible
what makes me wonder what sense catawiki has in the field of comics

Show original message
  • 204 messages
  • May 01, 2009 21:00
May 01, 2009 21:00

For the record 1975, we are definitely not copying everything from CPG , just the existing names of the series of a hero. (Almost) everyone agreed on that before a few weeks ago and we've been working with it ever since. We did this for 4 very good reasons, I will mention them again: a. To prevent proliferation b. Because they are so used worldwide. c. because they are already there and then do not need to be reimagined. 4. Because it works perfectly (!), We now know. See eg all entries for X-Men 1966-present (USA) and all other tens of series of the last weeks. Works flawlessly, we don't have to convert anything and everything can be reviewed at once.
Even by non-comic connoisseurs among administrators. But as said, we already had this discussion weeks ago. Would you please leave this at 1 topic please, so X-men names. It can now be closed as far as I am concerned.
M.b.t. the number addition Direct edition is not necessary because it is the standard anyway. No sense, I would not say it remains an addition that is on the comic.
Finally, with regard to this topic, the numbers a, b, c, for a different cover, etc. In Catawiki it says exactly how to do it in the input field, so it is not that complicated it seems to me.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 54 messages
  • May 01, 2009 23:07
added
prices
reviews

I do agree with Pellucidar.
It is also not about making ComicsPriceGuide a bible.
It is all about coming to one system together. I don't really care.
Although I sometimes miss the logic of CPG .
But you will have that with any system, I suspect.

Show original message
  • 204 messages
  • May 02, 2009 00:21
May 02, 2009 00:21

I could not have expressed it better.
For me it is only about one and the system, because otherwise it will be really unworkable. And that's it now, because otherwise there wouldn't be many questions…
The CPG system is the standard in the States. For anyone who works with comics such as collectors, shops, publishers and catalogs. So all we do is fit that one system as well, in other words we just take over the standard series names for US comics that stand for it. Furthermore, nothing bible or copy everything, just that.

Show original message
5of 5