Go to page
25of 37
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 15, 2021 11:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I can't find the explanation in the Forum so quickly. Once understood that 1st edition reissue may only be entered if it is a first deviating reprint from the real 1st edition ever. That is unclear, a new recent series of Karl May books, for example in 1st edition, would also qualify for such a description, but it is still not good. It makes entering difficult and also a lot of unnecessary review correction work. Can it be done differently or just live with it?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 123 messages
  • January 15, 2021 11:54
added
info pages

Harry, it's a definition that once came from comics. To me it is utter nonsense. Each reissue is a first edition of that reissue, and each reissue is also a reprint. That is the common term in the book world.

Once had a discussion about it with Arco, pointing out that the whole slogan has only commercial value; after all, a first edition is worth much more than a reprint, right?

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 15, 2021 12:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Enigma, that made sense to me too. So I just stick to what you say. It is also logical that a second edition in a series is a second edition in that specific series. It remains, however, that you could add a note to an original 1st edition, because a known oldest title in the catalog does not mean that it is the "real" 1st edition.

Show original message
  • 123 messages
  • January 15, 2021 12:33
added
info pages

All this has its origins in comics, a lot was already known about this and prints had already been appointed by experts. And yes, there a first edition is indeed worth much more than a reprint. That is where the selection came from.

It would have made much more sense to start from the facts. There is never a 1st edition in a real 1st edition. But sometimes it is in books. If you start from what is in the books you could just fill in what is there and replace "first edition of a reissue" there "not mentioned", then you can also state in detail that you think it is a first edition. .

But that is simply a choice that has not been made.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • January 15, 2021 12:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Normally the term is only used when something substantial has changed.

For example in the new translation of Ulysses by James Joyce you could use that.

For me 2nd and 3rd editions are also superfluous. All reprint. Whenever an album comes in, no one is going to change it in the other items

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,233 messages
  • January 15, 2021 13:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

For me 2nd and 3rd editions are also superfluous. All reprint. Whenever an album comes in, no one is going to change it in the other items

For current expenses I agree with you. But with antiquarian books it seems to me that a 2nd or 3rd edition is very relevant for a collector.

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • January 16, 2021 09:09
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Regarding the 2nd and 3rd editions, I completely agree with Tammo.

@Harry:

Enigma certainly has a point. 'First edition of a reissue' is actually a commercial nonsense statement. I have also found that it is often used when one is too lazy to count the pressures. In most cases I replace the listing in the catalog with reprint. I will indicate the actual pressure (if that can be found) under Details.

Using this entry also poses problems. What do you do with the 2nd and 3rd editions of this reprint? These editions are often called 2nd and 3rd editions. That is, of course, extremely confusing.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 16, 2021 09:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

In the past I used the term reprint when entering a new item, and then in the field specials 1st edition of the hop-pop-up series, because of the explanation at the time. I suspect that much in the catalog is indeed confusingly mixed up. Needless to say, I now do this like this: if I see that there is a series then use 1st edition and a 2nd edition in that series passes, then that is the 2nd edition in that series. The enthusiast can indicate in the field details: original 1st edition Dutch ..... publisher, etc. Sometimes you just have to live with not quite right or confusing in a book catalog. A true enthusiast knows quite well what is good and for many users it will not be so interesting. However, if the rules are different, I as an administrator should know this now, before I continue with perhaps not applying properly. I have little use for the one, the other does it like this and then discussions.

Example series (1st edition is therefore 1st edition of that series, 2nd edition and reprint after the 3rd edition in the field details for umpteenth edition))

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/areas/389455-karl-may-s-reisavonturen-rebo-productions

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/areas/181933-karl-may-pockets

Show original message
  • 123 messages
  • January 16, 2021 10:55
added
info pages

The whole problem is in the objective of the field “pressure”. At the time, for LD this was to determine the value of strips. You can also count prints for books like Vertigo does, but then you have to be sure that you have all prints in the catalog. So you never know and then you fall into correcting items over and over again when another until then unknown pressure appears, which JozefK already indicated.

To identify the item, you just need to know what's in the book. And I can assure you that there is no publisher that can count. I have several second and third editions of the same book from other years. But that is irrelevant as long as you fill in what is stated in the book as year and pressure. Unfortunately, this option was never chosen, and you can no longer change that ..

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • January 16, 2021 11:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Enigma:

In 90% of the cases, counting prints is no problem at all. With books that sell very well and that are published by different publishers, it does indeed become difficult. In those cases, I try to include the printing history in the Specials box. The fact that a print history may not be complete or needs to be corrected later is no reason to let it go.

On this subject, I totally disagree with you (in other cases often ;-)). For me, the catalog also serves to determine which editions have been published. The fact that some data may not be entirely correct is no reason to fail. Moreover, we are talking about an open source catalog. There are always errors in that.

@Harry:

I'm not going to do it like you suggest. The first edition of a reissue remains nonsensical and that is why I am removing it in principle. Your previous method appeals to me more than the current one.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 16, 2021 11:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Enigma and Vertigo,

It's difficult for me now. I didn't use the 1st edition of the reissue, unless it really was that 1st reissue. If I already knew.

As an example I pasted 2 Karl May series. Where you should not read the original 1st edition, but only 1st edition, 2nd edition 3rd edition and with 4th and more in the field 4th 5th 6th edition in the SERIES. That is good, or should it be a simple reprint and in the free field 1st 2nd 3rd 4th edition of The CONCERNING SERIES. In my opinion, the method now introduced for the Karl May series is also followed by the administrator Greenhorn expert KarlMay. Then we can change hope.

That's what I mean, if administrators and users (who can also change what they think is right) already have various visions, what should I do as a junior administrator? Let alone the user who also does not know what to do.

Show original message
  • 123 messages
  • January 16, 2021 12:01
added
info pages

@Vertigo I don't believe our positions are that far apart. But the counting of prints does depend on what you call a reprint. If the same book is published with a different cover, is it a reprint? To me yes, and it is certainly a reprint, even if only one (1) letter has been changed in the book. With old books it happened quite often, because they were printed in batches, and spelling errors etc. were corrected every new printing run. Our English-speaking friends call this, for example, First edition, second printing. Is this a first or second edition for you?

I also used to change “first edition of a reissue” by “reprint” when I came across it. Until I got a call from Arco that I shouldn't do that because that was a legitimate mention. Since then I have not changed anything to print, and I will be concerned about what it says.

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • January 16, 2021 13:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Enigma:

I don't think your example is completely clear.

If you do mean 'First edition, second printing', then I think you are talking about a second printing. The book has been reprinted using the old type.

If you mean that part of the first edition was left on the shelf and was only provided with a new cover later, then I think it is still a first edition (although it should be mentioned under Details that it is a new cover).

Funny, Arco never called me about this subject.

@Harry:

Don't worry. This is an insignificant detail. And we will never think exactly the same on all subjects. That is not bad at all. There is agreement on most of the rules.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 16, 2021 13:45
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Putting everything into perspective: LD is a Wiki, users have already entered 400,000 books in more than 10 years (or just how you look at it). For comparison, if I may believe the Internet, an estimated 140,000,000 books have been published worldwide from the printing press, the KB will know what Dutch is. So it is an illusion that LD will become a complete catalog.

To the best of their knowledge and belief, users enter their books as well as possible. A bit clumsy at times, but none of us are perfect. We make do with what we have.

As an administrator, I no longer have the feeling that I do what I can do, incidentally after 2 weeks of bombarding one connoisseur after the other. If there are users and / or administrators who see that something of importance is not right in terms of reviews, great a response via messages, then I will see if I have tips to dot the i's.

Whether a book has been entered with 333 pages instead of an even number (as stated in the attention field), well I don't think it's that important. And mentioning the press, given the differing opinions, I will deal with it as I think, unless a decision-maker says Zo Should It YET.

Worrying well, that sometimes seems like that, if I were to worry about being an administrator and Beren sees it, people will see it for themselves, then it is exit. This is how it goes with volunteering …………

For the outsider not an administrator, I am not quite sure that it has to grow. What I do know that you should not think, I understand this and that so I will get to work and I will solve everything quickly. No Way.

Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 17, 2021 15:56
added
prices
info pages

@Admins Books

I have the book Aardzee by Ursula Le Guin as the fourth edition.

Now the third edition is available, but the third and fourth edition are unchanged for special occasions.

Can or must one still enter the fourth edition.

Greetings John.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

John, I see more titles Aardzee, which catalog number?

Incidentally, it is not relevant whether a print is unchanged in terms of execution or text compared to a previous print. So you can enter it. Some collectors are not so thrilled that 20 editions of a popular book have been entered, but there are also enthusiasts who like that.

Show original message
  • 2,403 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@John: Since you have the fourth edition in your collection, you can just enter it in the catalog even if it is no different from the third edition. Actually different, because it says fourth edition. Please also see the page with the entry 4th edition

as the third image
Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:15
added
prices
reviews
So then the mention in the 3rd edition can also be removed
Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:21
added
prices
info pages

@Harry

Involves No. 192469

@Jilles

Submit it tomorrow.

@Morits

Once I have entered it, I will remove the entry from the third press

Thank you all,

Greetings John.

Show original message
  • 123 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:42
added
info pages

There is another difference, the third edition is from 1976 and the fourth edition from 1978, according to the KB.

Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:50
added
prices
info pages

@ Administrators

While we're at it, I have one more question.

Yesterday I received a complete newspaper of June 27, 1988, containing everything about the fact that the Netherlands has become European Football Champion.

Can one enter something like this, can't find much about newspapers at LastDodo.

Concerns the Gelderlander.

Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 17, 2021 16:57
added
prices
info pages

@ Enigma

You're right the fourth edition is from 1978, did not see that the third edition is from 1976, LOL

Greetings John.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,233 messages
  • January 17, 2021 17:08
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Lyonesse

Enter the newspaper at Magazines and Newspapers

Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 20, 2021 14:46
added
prices
info pages

@Tammo

I am entering Old Ni-js at Magazines.

Saw you made some changes.

By year and day I can still follow the yes.

At month number you have changed to 12 at e.g. December.

These Magazines are published three times a year, shouldn't that be listed under the month number?

Month number is slightly different from Month in my opinion.

Greetings John.

Show original message
  • 1,792 messages
  • January 21, 2021 16:23
added
prices
info pages

@Tammo

I joined Magazines when they add a new section to what came up.

Is it possible if you fill in for part 1 what, for example, type part, story number, attachment, this is transferred to New Part 2, would be easier.

Is also the case with records, if you fill in something with Track 1, this is also taken over with Track 2, etc.

Greetings John.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 37