16of 16
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 10, 2020 21:05
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Because I saw the 1st rejected and the "2nd" approved version fly by at the auction, nice opportunity to indicate that I still have a different version in my hands. Details but still. How do I explain it ... .

At the auction, the 1st edition is indeed larger but with a green spine (may be discolored) That aside

The first edition measures 29.0 x 22.4 cm
Second edition measures 28.70 x 21.90 cm

Now I have 2 copies 2nd edition, exactly according to the photos with (those are the details)

a) front cover: a dark dot above the sphere and 4 dots at the bottom right Kresse

b) back cover light orange line at the top right of the frame, diagonally above the text power and violence. So those are busy issues, there are several copies, 2 of mine and those in the catalog and so on. The color of the back should be brownish.

I have another copy, not a rejected copy, same sizes as 2nd edition. However, without those printing issues and with a (I'm sure (not discolored) gray back.

Anyone who also has a copy (I think the photos of the dots are ex from Arco) can check it in no time.

I have entered the deviating copy.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • October 10, 2020 21:28
added
prices
info pages

My copy is also missing those spots and dots, as with all copies that are for sale with a photo. And the back is gray, but I'm pretty sure that's a discoloration.

If the interior shows no differences, then I think the spots on the cover just got in during printing.

(I didn't exactly have the impression that this book was a sales success, so a different edition does not seem likely to me.)

Fact of the week: the comic is literate by Peter de Wit.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 11, 2020 07:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Book warehouse: Satan's Island is not an "important album" as Tintin Zaak Zonnebloem with printer issue "planed" 1956 in the colophon. Zonnebloem has been recognized as a separate print. (I think a print round where it just went wrong) At Satan's Island there are now at least 3 copies with the dots and the dash respectively.

I compared the 2 versions: the colors of the front and back cover are the same and also the sharpness of the front cover illustration as well as the illustrations themselves. With my 2 copies of dots, on the last picture on page 5, there are 2 small "scratches" visible at the top right through trees, which does not have the print without dots.

Then the back color remains. Coincidentally, your copy also has a gray back. I know that I have not bought these as new because they come out as new, so when exposed to light the back can be discolored. In case most copies have a brown spine in the color of the back cover, then I accept discoloration.

I personally thought and think Satan's Island is a beautiful album and a good story. You can clearly see that Kresse is busy at a later age, the heads are reminiscent of the Indian series .....

There are many owners of this album in LD so I wonder if the Forum is still being visited ....

Finally: How to make it known in the catalog? Separate edition or simply a special mention with the existing 2nd edition? Or replace the scans of the 2nd edition with the "no dots" and as a 3rd scan front cover with the dots. I can do that. Please send a message from 1 of the comic book managers.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 11, 2020 09:05
added
prices
reviews

Just like Boekenmagazijn, I have the idea that the b and c edition are the same. I also have no dots on my cover or a yellow stripe in the brown on my copy.

In my view, the b and c version of Satan's Island are identical and you have filled in a duplicate harrie :)

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 11, 2020 09:57
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Rik, the b copy really has (just like my 2 copies) the dots and the dash. Please take a good look at the photos. The providers who have posted a photo in their shop do indeed have a copy without dots and dash, but it was not yet there in terms of photos. Now as c.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 11, 2020 10:03
added
prices
reviews

Harry, I do believe that your copies have the dots, but I wonder if they really are 2 versions.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 11, 2020 10:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Rik I am not saying that either, it concerns a printing round where several copies have printing errors. And I understand that LD then allows the misprint albums (if only details) to be entered. As far as I am concerned, it does not have to be an extra version or c (I only entered an item for explanation), but I think it should be mentioned at b. I will replace the spine with dots at c, because the bottom is difficult to see. In case someone thinks it is nagging, it could be, but if it concerns Tintin with a slice through a year then it is suddenly "holy" ....

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • October 11, 2020 13:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

but if it concerns Tintin with a slice through a year then it is suddenly "holy" ....

That's because Herge made so few albums (limited creative?). Otherwise, these self-exalted collectors are very quickly collected (which is why they collect every print of the old albums). Now they have founded societies that go on endlessly about every picture and try to outdo each other by knowing in which street Herge's aunt lived after her second move ...

Nothing you can do Harry, snobbery for comic collectors.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 11, 2020 13:09
added
prices
reviews

As far as I am concerned, Tintin is not sacred. In fact, Harry's input is still in the catalog. I have doubts about this, but they are not so great that I remove the Satan Island variant. I hope to open a discussion on this forum about the existence of this variant and not about the sanctity of Tintin ...

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • October 11, 2020 13:46
added
prices
info pages

I was not familiar with that Tintin variant, but if I understand it correctly, it is assumed that the “planed” year is an indication that this is actually a different edition of the book, and that it is not just a coincidence with part of the first edition.

Of course, after 64 years that can no longer be said with 100% certainty. Personally, I would rather see some more differences between the versions (even if only scratches and spots in the printed matter) before daring to draw such a conclusion. With Tintin, perhaps more often the wish is the father of the thought.

At Satan's Island, I think the evidence so far is far too meager.

P.S. Image 3 in version c is very confusing, you should not include pictures from another book. A combined image with details from both versions would be possible.

Show original message
  • 2,419 messages
  • October 11, 2020 14:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

In terms of Tintin: There is also the idea that the books were made simultaneously at several printers, but that is not reflected either.

In terms of Satan's Island. I don't think it's any other print either.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 11, 2020 15:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

With the reactions of Jilles and Boekenmagazijn, I realize that I am not focusing on the color of the spine. Apparently this discolours with light in all years that different color shades arise. That auction specimen had a spine as green as grass, so that was not true compared to how it once was. Also agree that a misprint, although there are apparently more copies in circulation, than rooting is a la a stamp under a loup.

Again the 1st 2 scans in c are of the copies that are without print blanks, the copy introduced under b years ago really has those minimal flaws. So I'm happy to transfer the front and back scans from c to b. Mentioning in the details that copies have also been reported that have minimal pressure issues and that the spines of the album (originally the same color as the back cover) are light-sensitive and there are albums in circulation with shades from gray to green. After that, c foetsie. Then everyone knows that there are no other variants. Before another Harry comes forward with muddled stories ....

By the Way I am the fool who discovered that the reissue of Panda's Golden Dagger Kresse and the extended 1948 version lacks 5 illustrations compared to the 1st version. That is quite different from picking out a picture of Tintin, such as that of the Parrot in Bianca, who babbles from nothing to a few words and is now misplaced because of endpapers 8? versions in the catalog.

Show original message
  • 2,419 messages
  • October 11, 2020 19:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I bought the first edition of Golden Dagger with dust jacket in 1977 for fl. 3.50. Just after the reissue of Hans Matla. Hans was extremely surprised that a copy with a stop cover had been found. I treasure that moment and the Golden Dagger releases with pride.

Anyway. I don't find any differences between the release of Panda and the first edition.

From the 1948 version, I have four ...

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 12, 2020 07:54
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Jilles good morning, I had contact with you about the Golden Dagger in 2018. While reading and comparing my 1946 with the extended version 1948 and the reissue of Hans and after checking 3 times, my conclusion was:

Larger size than the revised 1948 versions, with these versions some of the illustration of the dust jacket at the top and bottom has been omitted. The revised versions have 184 pages, dozens of additional illustrations, however of the 1st edition (from 1946) the illustrations on pages 26/36/37/53 and 70 are no longer included.

I mentioned that in the catalog and you reviewed the change.

So if you take the original version from 1946 and the pages mentioned, you will no longer find those illustrations in the extended versions 1948 as well as those of Panda. If you want to include the illustrations in your 1948 versions, it will make me dizzy .........

Show original message
  • 2,419 messages
  • October 12, 2020 17:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Not in the 1948 edition, but in the 1976 Panda edition. This is an integral reprint

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 12, 2020 18:19
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Jilles, you're right, the missing plates have nothing to do with the Panda release. Sorry, it was so long ago that I was really lost. I think it is good in the catalog, because I had not put anything in the Panda edition. Stupid stupid stupid ....

Show original message
16of 16