6of 6
  • 6 messages
  • December 30, 2016 23:19
December 30, 2016 23:19

Does anyone happen to have an overview that indicates how much a new Jommeke album has cost in the store over the years?

For example, in 1959 De Jacht op een Voetbal cost 15 Belgian francs.

But how much was that in 1960, 1961, 1962, etc. until 2016?

Prices in Dutch guilders or euros are also allowed!

Even if you can help me with a small number I have been helped a lot for years.

Thank you in advance!

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • January 01, 2017 16:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Why do you want to know that? Here at the Collectors Forum, we as collectors are not that served by questions about costs, I think. That's because these are often people who just want to sell their items without contributing to the CataWiki Catalog. People like that should go to the Auction section of CataWiki.

If you have something else in mind with it, I think people would be more than happy to help. But I think it helps if you explain what you want to do with the information. Unfortunately I don't know and it will be difficult. Have you checked old comic catalogs or consulted comic shop owners?

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 01, 2017 20:57
added
prices
info pages

You could have summarized the three questions in one item. After reading the (almost) same message three times, I actually didn't feel like responding anymore.

It seems unlikely that someone already has all that price information in a row (and the chance that it will person reading this forum is much smaller), although such an overview can be quite interesting.

As DisneyMeentwijck also pointed out, collectors may be willing to look for you, if you also have the information want to share. For example on a background page.

Prices are probably hard to find for the early years (except for Jommeke, where the price comes first). But there are publisher folders in Catawiki (eg from Standard from the eighties) with scans where you can recognize prices.

For example, in 1981 a Suske en Wiske fl. 4.95 / 70 Fr. and a Nero fl. 3.95 / 58 Fr.

In 1989 it was 99 Fr. respectively. (fl. 5.50) and 90 Fr. (NLG 4.95).

Exactly when the price increases took effect requires some more in-depth research.

From mid-1999, all Dutch prices can be found online.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 04, 2017 20:58
January 04, 2017 20:58

I am preparing a lecture on the origin and development of the Flemish comic strip.

One chapter deals with the sale of comic strips.

It seemed interesting to show me how the price of an individual series evolves over time.

And to compare this with the evolution of the consumption index and, for example, the price of a loaf.

This is to demonstrate, as I have noted so far that the rise in the price of a strip has always been less than the rise in the consumption index and even less than the rise in the price of a loaf of bread. Or in other words: these comic series are really not expensive.

I hope this has clarified my original question sufficiently.

Thanks in advance.

PS
1 . @Boekenmagazijn: where can you find the Dutch prices online from mid-1999?
2. The oil crisis of the 1970s seems to be the period in which prices rose fastest so far, even more so than the period of the recent banking crisis (2008+).

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 05, 2017 23:30
added
prices
info pages

That sounds interesting, I would like to see such a graph of bread price and comic book price.

But I can imagine that you don't want to invest days of research into such a relatively small part of your lecture. On the other hand, you probably don't need a complete detailed overview of all prices in every year.

Comic shop Eppo has been publishing "Eppo info" every quarter since the eighties (printed on bright yellow A4 sheets, I can't find them in the catalog yet), a chronological list of all published comics. The first online version (3rd quarter 1999) can be found here .

Good luck.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 07, 2017 15:45
January 07, 2017 15:45

Thanks, Boekenmagazijn, those "Eppo info" online pages have already helped me a lot.

Indeed, a detailed overview of all prices in each year is not necessary. Prices remained almost constant until the mid-1960s. After that the price changed every 3 to 6 years, approximately.

I will show the graph here at the end of January, although I still have to figure out how to do that.

Know that I the comparison with Belgian bread making, which on average is more expensive than Dutch bread ????.

@ DisneyMeentwijc: I also have useful information indeed found in a Matla catalog. Furthermore, I am going through my own collection looking for price stickers - problem is that I try to avoid them when buying an album and that I usually try to remove them carefully ...

Show original message
6of 6