10of 10
  • 492 messages
  • December 03, 2013 21:56
added
prices

Good evening,

In this variant of Chlorophyll and the conspirators it says ' Plate 23 is missing in this edition' . I have two questions. What does this comment mean? And how can I recognize it in my copy? Thank you in advance for the information.

Greetings Vincent

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • December 03, 2013 22:23
added
prices
reviews

@Vincent,

The Conspirators is part of Chlorophyll's first adventure.

This story was originally published as one story in the weekly Tintin magazine. The publisher has decided to publish this long adventure in 2 parts:

Chlorophyll and the black rats and Chlorophyll and the conspirators.

At the first release of the conspirators, record 23 was still in the album, but this record was omitted in later releases.

Because the plates are not numbered and I only have the first edition, I cannot tell you 1-2-3 which plate this is exactly ...

The first edition is in any case an HC with a linen back. In addition, as far as I know, only 1 reprint was published in 1978.

Show original message
  • 492 messages
  • December 03, 2013 22:44
added
prices

@ rikMooren : Thanks for the information. By the way, I now suddenly see the difference between the two soft covers from 1978. One has publishing house Lombard and the other publishing house Helmond. I recently learned here that if the album says Helmond, then it is the variant with publisher Helmond. :-)

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • December 03, 2013 22:47
added
prices
reviews

I recently learned here that if the album says Helmond, then it is the variant with publisher Helmond. :-)

Good student :-)

You can also recognize this version by the Helmond logo on the front cover.

For the sake of completeness: Both versions from 1978 are missing plate 23.

Show original message
  • 9 messages
  • December 06, 2013 20:37
added
prices
December 06, 2013 20:37

Here's some addition:

I do not know whether the stories The Black Rats and The Conspirators were published as one long story in Tintin. I like to believe it. What is certain is that Macherot wrote and drew them as two separate adventures. For example, part 1 ( Ratte n) is still drawn on four strips per page and De Samenspirators has no fewer than five strips. The reason for this is, apart from the fact that several artists did this in that period (think of the first albums by Dan Cooper, Alex, Blake and Mortimer, among others), it was probably the publisher or editor who stimulated this form. In this way the issue offered 'more value for money' : the reader had more to read on the two printed pages, because after all he had to wait a full week for the sequel and furthermore Tintin magazine distinguished itself from many competing magazines. comic magazines that did place four-strip comics. Anyway, after the pre-publication of the two Chlorophyll stories, the beautiful album editions in hardcover followed.

The films from these albums were lent to the editors of the weekly Pep, where the two stories were published in 1963 (nos. 2 to 18 and 41 to 52). So far nothing going on.

In 1976, the editors of Donald Duck magazine decided to publish the stories of Macherot ( Chlorophyll, Snoesje and later Pantoffel ) as a follow-up story. Le Lombard probably didn't have the films available to them: Incomplete, damaged or completely gone? They supplied black and white prints and hardcover linen binding albums in French. The new translation of all Macherot stories in Donald Duck is by then (chief) editor Thom Roep. He then had the stories lettered at Studio Richard Pakker and recolored at Diepdrukkerij Etten in Etten-Leur: probably by Lia van Iersel, but this is not 100% certain.

After publication in Duck, Lombard bought back copies of the print films in order to be able to make album releases again: These became the well-known green albums from 1978. This was the case for De Zwarte Ratten, De Samenspirators and Geen Lekkernij voor Lorelei , all three of which were in Duck. The other adventures in this 'Green Series' were not in Duck. Incidentally, they made the capital mistake of publishing part 2 ( The Conspirators ) as part 1... the fools!)

But now about the missing page 23, which IS printed in the old hc albums, in Pep and in Donald Duck 50-1976. Publishers preferred strips of 44, 45 or 46 pages. Printed sheets of paper are folded in the printing house in such a way that the folding stroke produces quires of 8 pages. The content of the number of pages inside is therefore often divisible by 8. With sixteen quires of 8 (or eight pieces of 16), if you divide the first page as the title page and place a colophon or copyright on page two (left), this is economical possible out of the way. The Conspirators originally counted 47 pages! If the strip had been started with the opening page on the left (so on page 2 of the interior), nothing would have happened and it would have fitted exactly. But starting a book on a left page was (and still is not) possible! That was/should(?) not be!

So one leaf had to die. This happened very often during that period... (just think of Ravian's first album). Could it be done differently? Yes of course! But that meant an extra quire of paper or a separate extra paper cover of 4, but preferably of 8 pages, which had to be filled, however. With a hardcover this was not a problem because part of the addition was used as a flyleaf or as an adhesive sheet pasted on the inside of the front and back.

One more thing in favor of the Lombard man who killed page 23... He sure knew his stuff! This page is really not missed when you read the adventure. To be honest, I never noticed the lack of it, even though I own both the hc and sc versions and have read both editions several times.

Sorry for my long speech full of semi-learnedness, but hey, if you didn't find it interesting you probably would have stopped reading long ago!

Show original message
  • 492 messages
  • December 06, 2013 20:55
added
prices
I think it's really brilliant! Thanks! :-)
Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • December 06, 2013 23:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A wonderful piece of background information. Maybe something to put on the info page of the series?

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • April 24, 2014 17:35
April 24, 2014 17:35
The missing page goes like this: Chlorophyll and his friends are hiding in a haystack. They find out that Torpedo will really have to go to the pond to get food (fish). The missing page shows how torpedoes move from the haystack to the pond. In the next picture, torpedo is ready to go to the pond. That is the first picture after "I will really have to go to the pond, damn it" and also the first picture that can be seen again in the album, with the text something like "I dare it". pond is not at all interesting for the reader, but nice for the completeness. At the time I tore the relevant page out of the Donald Duck (yes, outrageous) and put it in the album.
Show original message
  • 492 messages
  • April 25, 2014 10:27
added
prices

@ Robert71 : How awesome that you described the missing page. Thanks for that. What I would also really like is to have a scan of the page. Do you happen to have the opportunity to make it for me?

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • April 25, 2014 11:54
April 25, 2014 11:54

Unfortunately, I no longer have the album. I always hoped that Navaja the Spanish stork would also show up in the later Chlorophyls :-)

Show original message
10of 10