4of 4
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 66 messages
  • March 07, 2011 16:07
added
prices
reviews

It strikes me that there is still a lot of work to come to an unambiguous name for various artists.

It cannot be the intention that 1 artist has 4 different sections with items that all belong in 1 section. Occasionally the composition of a band changes or someone goes solo or vice versa .. Only then can the existence of several sections be justified.

As an example I will quote "K.D. Lang". There are currently 3 sections with respectively [K.d. Long] [KD Lang] and [Lang, K.D.].

So all three wrong. The covers and artwork officially use "k.d. lang". Please note: everything with small letters!

There are all kinds of names with capital letters in front and behind, so there can be no misunderstanding that the publishers prefer this spelling.

Perhaps it is best to maintain this consistently. It may look a bit strange but you get used to it quickly. Moreover, everyone can see that authenticity is of paramount importance at Catawiki. Unlike so many amateur sites.

We could also use "K.D. Lang", but this is not authentic. Using 3 different names for one and the same artist seems out of the question to me.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • March 08, 2011 15:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

This is due to the fact that any user can enter a new stage name. There is no getting rid of that :-)

What k.d. long: I find this a difficult one. She calls herself k.d. long, but I already have it without a space between k.d. and seen for a long time.

There are a number of options:

- if you accept her use of lowercase letters and our agreements on stage names, it gets long, k.d. Because the convention is that first the last name comes and then the first names. See Clapton, Eric.

- You can also ignore our agreements and it will be k.d. long. There is something to be said for this, because within the system we also use dEUS as the band name instead of Deus

- if you think of it as a common name, you would consider Lang, K.D. must do.

Personally I would choose the latter, but who am I? Don't even have her music :-)

Once we are clear on this, I can merge the variants into an artist name.

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • March 08, 2011 15:46
added
prices
reviews

Personally, I would opt for "k.d. lang", because it is actually more of a brand name. I think few of her know the first names. I have four CDs of hers and so it says "k.d. lang" everywhere.

I think there must be exceptions to the rules from time to time. But that must be made clear to the users.

When you talk about "Clapton" everyone knows it's about Eric. This is very different with "long". It is actually about nuance differences.

Also something else I have discovered that someone has imported a number of CDs under the nonexistent "Oreada Music" label. It should be "Oreade Music".

I have now improved this, but the now empty "Oreada" label can now be brushed away. I can't do that myself, so I'm just asking you Frans.

I have come across more or less the same thing with "Robert Cray" and the "Robert Cray Band".

A number of people have performed CDs on "The Robert Cray Band" as the stage name officially goes, placed under "Robert Cray". I was not prepared for that, so now a number of double entries have been made.

Maybe you can take a look at that too.

Thanks in advance for the effort!

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • March 09, 2011 16:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It doesn't seem like a brand name to me. She's just called that. (Kathryn Dawn Lang). There are more artists who only use initials. For example PJ Harvey.
In the meantime I have merged all K.D.'s and for the time being under Lang, K.D. I just wanted to wait and see what other users think :-) Later change the name to lang, k.d. or k.d. long is a trifle for an administrator :-)

I have completely checked Robert Cray. Removed any duplicates and I made a distinction between Robert Cray and Robert Cray Band, The
The CDs of the last few years were made without his original band and under the name Robert Cray. Hence. This also by analogy with eg Eric Burdon

The Oreada label was already gone when I looked it up. Empty subareas are automatically deleted at night.

Show original message
4of 4