25of 203
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,401 messages
  • December 28, 2008 16:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I am not very happy with the possible genres. I would like to see Blues, soul and R & amp; B as separate genres. I also advocate separating Dutch-language and cabaret. Maybe also an idea to add as a genre: Rock & amp; Roll and Symphonic rock.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • December 28, 2008 23:21
added
prices
reviews

I have already discussed this with Rene via email. I also run into the limitations of the current genres. I have a lot of hardcore and emo in my collection, which I actually have nowhere to put. Now I place it under metal / hard rock or punk / new wave, but that is not really optimal.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • December 28, 2008 23:50
added
prices
reviews

I think you are right. A further refinement of genres is desirable. Come on with your proposals. So separate Blues, Soul and R & amp; B. Do you have a good subdivision of metal / hard rock and punk / new wave?

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • December 29, 2008 14:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What I often encounter in genres left and right are:
Americana
Blues
Bluesrock
Chanson (French)
Dance
Disco
Gospel
R & amp ; B (not the original Chicagoblues)
Schlager (German)
Singer / songwriter
Soul

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • February 12, 2009 19:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I'm still performing my comic book collection, but every now and there is an LP or CD with it. I have noticed that the genres are very broad. Examples are:
punk and new wave, I miss hardcore and oi !, but there has also been cross-pollination within these genres. Oi! bands that made new wave for example. Now I am interested in the Oi! but not in the new wave period. Unfortunately, that cannot always be deduced from the cover or from the release date. The question is therefore whether it is possible to add sub-genres.
other examples I can mention here:
- reggae and ska, genres I miss are rocksteady, skinhead reggae and the distinction between ska and neo ska. Jimmy Cliff has made rocksteady, but also reggae. I am only interested in the rocksteady.
- blues, where I miss the genre rhythm and blues (with artists like Ruth Brown)
- I miss the genre rock 'n roll that can be categorized as: rock' n roll (e.g. Pat Boone), doo wop, rockabilly, neo rockabilly and psychobilly

Show original message
  • 126 messages
  • March 04, 2009 16:48
added
prices
reviews

I would like to have some more options in the genre of music.
For example, what I still miss are:
Rock 'n roll
Progesive Rock
Symphonic Rock
Psychedelic Rock
Compilation album
Disco
Nederbeat
and there are probably more.
who knows another addition?

Show original message
  • 126 messages
  • March 25, 2009 14:43
added
prices
reviews

calypso
salsa
Swing
would also be welcome categories.
I have quite a few records that I can't assign a genre right now :-(

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • August 04, 2009 22:21
added
prices
reviews

I would like to relaunch this discussion because it is not closed yet.
In the meantime I have separated Blues, R & amp; B and Soul and added the following genres because it was clear to me that they could not be properly placed under the existing genres:
Children's songs
Gospel and Chanson
Schlager
The problem with many other proposed genres is that they are a specialization of an existing genre, which means that there is a risk of imbalance (one genre completely broken down and the other at a fairly high level). For example: Rock 'n roll, Progesive Rock, Symphonic Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Nederbeat, Bluesrock, doo wop, rockabilly, neo rockabilly and psychobilly are all subgenres of Rock, I think. And that is now within Pop & amp; Rock as a genre. This is then broken down very far and other genres are not. If we split all genres so far, there is a danger of a very long list of sub-genres where new entrants may soon drop out…
Anyone have any advice on this topic?

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • August 08, 2009 17:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The expansion with children's songs, chanson and schlager is fine. gospel is not necessary. Fits well with jazz or blues. I still miss speaking Spanish (The Inglesias).
Disco would be nice as well as rock & roll. There is already quite a lot of this kind of music in cw. Of course most of them can be classified as rock, but then you can classify everything as rock.
Check out www.allmusicguide.com
There they have a few “big” genres with a huge subdivision. Not that I always agree :-)
So far I am quite satisfied.
@René:
Is it possible to have everything from an artist switch genres at once? I am thinking here in particular of the beautiful collection of Anske by Freddy Quinn. Most now mention World Music and a few Schlager.

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • September 01, 2009 19:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Problem I'm having is that pop & amp; rock includes just about everything that appears in the top 100 plus a lot more. An impossible task to find something in that. Reggae & amp; Ska are included as a separate genre, so why not Rock & amp; Roll? With rock I personally think of Status Quo or AC / DC and not so easily of Gene Vincent, I cannot make the link. Musically they are also (have been) completely different subcultures. By default, I place NeoRockabilly and Psychobilly under punk, both genres have more in common with that than with pop.
Furthermore, in my view, Catawiki is not only intended for recording one's own collection, but also for the search for new acquisitions. How do I know which Jimmy Cliff album is rocksteady and which reggae?
As soon as my comic collection is on Catawiki, I will continue with music. In the field of hardcore punk rock (US), Oi !, psychobilly and neo rockabilly I will certainly add a lot (a few thousand items). I would be very happy to be able to differentiate between the genres.
By the way, I also do not agree with your argument Rene, that new importers quickly drop out because of the subgenres. Certainly when you talk about the music from the alternative circuit, in my view you bring them in because punk and new wave are finally “not in the same place”.

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • September 01, 2009 20:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Just a continuation of my previous message. What strikes me is that there are quite a few differences in interpretation around the genres. Take Ruth Brown, one of the R & amp; B (Rhythm & amp; Blues) artists from the very beginning. I find it under jazz and not under R & amp; B. What I do find under R & amp; B I cannot place with this genre.
Furthermore, I find Fats Domino under Blues while in my view he is a rock & amp; roll artist. And Frank Sinatra has been performed under pop & amp; rock while he really was a big band jazz artist.
You understand, I'm confused!

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • September 02, 2009 21:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Dazed and confused! That's hard rock! : )
I totally agree that categorizing them into genres is extremely difficult. Personally, I wouldn't link a genre to an artist, but to a record. Elvis has made R & amp; R, as well as country records. Eric Clapton's From the Cradle is blues, but August is pop & amp; rock.
Ruth Brown I would not classify Ruth Brown as jazz, but blues. The R & amp; B mentioned in the catalog is in my opinion the R & amp; B of our time and not the Rhythm and Blues of the fifties. The latter is a subgenre of Blues for me. Fats Domino (yes, he is still alive):
), which has its roots in New Orleans, you can because of that fact fall under blues, but indeed also under Rock & amp; Roll. But what do you do with Chuck Berry? The ultimate rock & amp; roller, but blues artists play along on all his big hits from the 50s, such as Willie Dixon. Berry’s hits have also been released on the infamous Chess label. So blues. Muddy Waters said it already: Blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll ..
I tend to put the black rock and rollers under blues and the white rock and roll.
Frank Sinatra is for me mainstream pop (popular music) from just after the war. No jazz.
Still difficult, hence my idea to take a look at such an allmusic guide, for example. How they do that with genres and subgenres. Perhaps that is also possible within CW: choosing a genre and adding a second list with subgenres.

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • September 11, 2009 20:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Agree, with subgenres you can overcome a lot and you link a genre to a record and not to the artist. That guide looks good and I think it is definitely worth the effort to “adopt” in CW

Show original message
  • 380 messages
  • March 13, 2010 16:19
Deleted
Show original message
  • 14 messages
  • March 20, 2010 09:54
added
prices
March 20, 2010 09:54

I'm still looking for the right category for James Last, Cor Steyn, John Woodhouse, Stef Meeder, Mantovani and many more. Now put it in world music.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • March 25, 2010 13:22
added
prices
reviews

Added Cajun today. And also Italo-Disco (request by mail).
Soon I will try to delve into the other genres to be added.

Show original message
  • 2,418 messages
  • March 25, 2010 18:46
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I would like to be able to link multiple genres to 1 album. eg soundtrack and pop.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • March 25, 2010 19:34
added
prices
reviews

Your wish is my command!

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • March 25, 2010 20:02
added
prices
reviews

??? soundtrack and pop have nothing to do with each other, they are two different units…
Apparently, a different distinction has to be made…
I also saw that compilation album was mentioned as a genre…

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • March 25, 2010 20:32
added
prices
reviews

soundtrack and pop (is a broad term) Grease! Evita and so there are more.
Collection album indeed nonsense.
But what is world music?

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • March 25, 2010 21:32
added
prices
reviews

yes, but a soundtrack only indicates that it is music for a movie, can be classical, pop and jazz. Soundtrack itself has nothing to do with pop. Pop is a genre and a soundtrack, yes, at least that's not a pop.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • March 25, 2010 23:06
added
prices
reviews

I also assume if a combination is possible that it is not just pop / rock, just came across an item was also a soundtrack but with blues, Also think that is meant?

Show original message
  • 2,418 messages
  • March 26, 2010 09:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ morits & amp; @dick
Because soundtrack is associated with genres and is not actually a genre, with my request for the possibility to add multiple genres to a record I want to disconnect this, but of course this possibility is too use with all imaginable styles.
Soundtrack Flash Gordon is an example of pop and rock
World music is a repository of music that is made all over the world and cannot be placed in the other genres, can vary from Inca music, Skolt music (Marie Boine) Brazilian note tunes, etc, (folk music actually) but there is also often the new age music. added to it.

Show original message
  • 126 messages
  • March 26, 2010 16:20
added
prices
reviews

I miss many genres
one of which is Swing.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_%28muziek%29
think, for example, of the many dance orchestras that existed in the first 40 years of the last century.
you can't put all this under jazz.
think about including more genres in the selection field.
list:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muziekstijlen_per_…
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_muziekst…
of course not all of them
but if I take, for example, the music of ELO and Van Halen, then I have to place them both under rock, while the music style is very different…

Show original message
  • 179 messages
  • April 07, 2010 19:47
added
prices
reviews

alternative
spoken word
modern composers

are categories that I already miss at the beginning of entering… I can of course adjust later, but the sooner available the better.

By the way: directly enter eg
discogs and abebooks [homebase3] would get along too!

greetings,
Jan

Show original message
Go to page
25of 203