25of 32
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 21, 2015 16:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Philips released many EPs in the 50s and 60s. To keep that a bit manageable, they had devised a release number system for that. Dutch artists in one series, American artists in yet another series, etc.

Vertigo and I have spent a number of weeks grouping all Philips EPs present within Catawiki into series. We used there for the release number. The first 3 digits determined the series; the last 3 the number in the series. The intention is that per series there will also be a background page with extra information.

Besides the fact that you can filter out duplicates and incorrect input so quickly, it sometimes also yields interesting information. Popularity of certain artists etc.

All EPs are released in a photo sleeve. Some are manufactured in the Netherlands, some in Germany or Belgium and a lot in France.

You can find them via the search function in Catawiki. Then search for Philips EP series.

You will then get a list of all series. The list is sorted by number of items.

We also had the idea to do the same with the Philips singles from those years.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • October 24, 2015 00:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Nicely sorted, but how can you see all EPs from the Philips series together?

Can't you just sort by number in series and then see all EPs together? If all goes well, then all series will be together. I know that will destroy your entire work, but I still have a logical question or is the sorting you have chosen useful? Again a chapeau for the hard work.

Show original message
  • 523 messages
  • October 24, 2015 09:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If you want to see all Philips EPs select carrier - & gt; EP - & gt; label - & gt; Philips.

What has now been done is no different than if they had christened the series "Dutch smartlappen" or "French chansons". Philips has come up with a number series. Less clear to (current?) Collectors, but essentially not much else.

At first I also had my reservations, but if you think about it longer, it makes perfect sense.

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 24, 2015 14:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Can't you just sort by sequence number in series and then see all EPs together?

That is only possible if they are in a series ... them now. Once you have selected a series, it is automatically sorted by number in the series. But of course you can also sort by year, title, value or recently added.

In the meantime I have also started working on the singles :-) I've already had the first 40.

Philips minigroove 45 is available as a label and as a series. I have already removed most of them from label and added to series. Minigroove is not a label, but a process that made the groove smaller.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • October 26, 2015 16:30
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That's all well and good, but if you try to see all the Philips EPs together, sorted by number in series, the first song is EP 422 000 instead of the first of the series EP 088 . I also tried to sort them by year of issue, because this new series sorting is based on that too, right? However, the EP 422 000 is also the first to emerge there.

Is the sorting not quite correct yet?

If you are going to reclassify all Philips variants under the Philips label (thought indeed always that it was a series, but that is why I often assigned them to both), hopefully the sorting will go a bit better then. And weren't there also EPs that were of the minigroove type?

In any case, my compliments to all the efforts made by these administrators, as it is a large number to change.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • October 26, 2015 19:36
added
prices
reviews

@ DM,

You select the label and then EP

The result is that the oldest item (if you select the year) first.

you cannot select all series at the same time, that does not work yet maybe ever (make a selection from a series)

In addition, in this case the series has no sequence number again,

Release number but don't select on that

example not va n EPs from a series where the serial number is included, the release number of Boek en Plaat has been selected by serial number in series

and this reversed

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 26, 2015 21:37
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That's all well and good, but if you try to see all Philips EPs together, sorted by number in series,

Yes, that is not possible .... Numbering in a series is of course limited to the series. As Dick already describes, you can go to everything that Philips has released via Label (Philips). Then you can choose the carrier EP and you have all EPs from Philips together. (Currently 652). If you then sort by serial number, you will get all 000's first. Then 001's etc. The very first item in the series is 422, because that series contains the most items.

If you tap directly at the top of the Philips EP series search bar within the Records and CDs section, you will see 3 series on the left with "more" below. If you click on it, you will get a list with all series. And that list is sorted by size, so most of the items. At the top you will indeed find the 422 series.

What is actually still a problem is that you can only assign one series sequence number per item. If an item is in 2 series, you have to choose which number to use. I have opted for the EP series so far.

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 26, 2015 21:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

And weren't there any EPs that were of the minigroove type?

Yes there are. All EPs with minigroove 45 are also in the Philips Minigroove 45 series. That also contains many singles.

There is also Philips Minigroove 33. But I haven't started on that yet.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 26, 2015 21:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I have chosen the EP series so far.

Real Series Names and Sequence Numbers always take precedence over fantasy names in Catawiki. I suspect that this method is therefore flawed. But I haven't physically looked at it yet.

edit: Just solved your problem, I think. Just don't use sequence numbers for those fantasy sequences, sort by release number.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • October 26, 2015 23:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Thank you Arco, that is almost completely fine, only the first page does not want to sort properly. The first 11 images should only appear on much later pages, if the sorting is maintained (which is indeed correct for the rest and is therefore nicely chonological over the entire Philips line).

Sorting error?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 26, 2015 23:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I don't know what your first page is, but some may have a space in front of the Release number?

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • October 27, 2015 00:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It was indeed those twisted spaces again! ;)

I deleted them and it is now indeed nicely sorted.

Show original message
  • 1,041 messages
  • October 27, 2015 08:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Real Series Names and Sequence Numbers always take precedence over fantasy names in Catawiki. I suspect that this method is therefore flawed. But I haven't physically watched it yet.

The EP series are not fantasy. They are also used by other relevant websites, only the naming may differ slightly.

In addition, the distinction of these series provides a wealth of information.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 27, 2015 09:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Every self-made series is a fantasy series. This is not a disqualification, but a distinction with series names on an item. Fantasy series are always inferior to real series in Catawiki.

Example: if on a Philips EP it says 'Sinterklaasliedjes 5', then must be the Sequence number 5, and not the fantasy number 567. That's what I meant by 'limping'. So you can miss numbers in your order by Sequence number of fantasy series. Then such a sorting by Release number is a solution, provided it is filled in correctly. And the Sequence Number remains logical for all users.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • October 27, 2015 12:11
added
prices
reviews

I think Arco has a point because you can also select by release number.

but indeed correct input of release number.

But then I come back to an earlier story

and this one and this one

you can then select the single collection by country instead of release number.

And can I select all versions of singelcollection regardless of the country and if I only want to see the country, just select it

Show original message
  • 1,041 messages
  • October 27, 2015 20:56
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Then such a sorting by Release number is a solution, provided it is filled in correctly. And the Sequence number remains logical for all users.

I am also in favor.

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 28, 2015 13:37
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Great that it is now possible to sort by release number. This means that we can no longer exactly copy release numbers from the label. Think of points and the like.

For the Philips release numbers I used this form for some time: JF 327 000 On covers you often see JF 327 000.

The problem of items that are split in two or more series persists. And if I have to choose between Sinterklaas songs 5 or the sequence numbers of the EP series, I will go for the last one ... Those 5 Sinterklaas eptjes will be on the screen at once. Those 100 EPs are not.

Oh yes, a bit more ants and mosquito fucking :-) the series derived from the release number is of course just on the label. We added the text Philips ep-series because the series 400 (was the first) doesn't tell anyone anything.

The concepts of original and fantasy series are new to me. They are also not in the manual and I suspect that Arco made them up OR that they come from the comics section :-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 28, 2015 15:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Great that it is now possible to sort by release number. This means that we can no longer exactly copy release numbers from the label. Think of points and the like.

No, it just means you can sort on it now. The fill-in instructions remain as you have defined them as administrators.

In many sections there are real series and fantasy series. Fantasy sequences are used by administrators to group items together that deserve it, and give some users a faster and better understanding of related objects. Is really an added value of a digital system.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • October 28, 2015 16:39
added
prices
reviews

Yes literally copy from label with,. - the importance of the third scan label will then count even more.

Seems like a tight plan

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • October 28, 2015 17:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As Dick52 says, the release number on the record remains leading, which I think is also in the Handbook. As FransS also says, the release number can differ in notation on the cover and the record. With some plates it is even completely different.

Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 28, 2015 21:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If you want to properly sort by release numbers within a series, you will have to keep the format of those numbers identical. Most Philips numbers do not pose a problem, but there are some where we still have to make some cosmetic adjustments. I already gave the example of the letters in the front. Occasionally I come across one on the label with the letters in front. I then adjust it. In some French series there is a period after the third digit; I replace it with a space. Some French singles have the letter code (usually BF) on the label in such a way that there is a B before the numbers and after the numbers the F. I also make BF at the back.

Of course we have so much possibly get info from the label and I do that too. But as far as I am concerned there are exceptions.

It is also not about large quantities. So far only the Philips singles and EPs and the Bovema releases from the 70s (5C 006-12345)

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • October 29, 2015 12:22
added
prices
reviews

French if you just keep the release number as it is on the carrier, is there nothing wrong?

That the cover has a different rendering take for example this that's just a given.

I just don't see the point of adding the last 3 digits as a series number, it is a waste of time.

Is just like mentioning details mono Dutch pressing

That Dutch is already mentioned under Countries

or mention another example with details.

set consists of single, CD single, and CD, you can Selecting.

Show original message
  • 523 messages
  • October 29, 2015 15:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews
No Dick, I had already personally informed you that if there is a single, CD single and CD, that we report this in details and fill in Mix of carrier types as carrier in connection with a future change to this field.
Show original message
  • 1,401 messages
  • October 29, 2015 16:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

French if you just keep the release number as it is on the carrier, is there anything wrong?

That's not quite right. For example, with a number of French EPs and singles there is a dot between the numbers 434.123 If you then sort by release number, things go wrong. For a few (also French) you see B 434 123 F instead of 434 123 BF

I adjust that so that it can be properly sorted by release number. If they are properly sorted by release number, you will also see the correlation with, for example, the year.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • October 29, 2015 19:09
added
prices
reviews

@ Frans,

I understood that but if you just take it over literally, you will indeed not see them in sequence, but you will continue to follow the manual.

@ Kevin that I know

Show original message
Go to page
25of 32