5of 5
  • 2 messages
  • July 10, 2019 04:23
July 10, 2019 04:23

My books have been in a somewhat damp house for six years and many of them now smell a bit musty or sour.

They still look completely fresh, but the smell bothers me.

Does anyone know where I could get them deodorized?

It concerns roughly 15 meters of books.
They are not precious works in themselves, but I am attached to them.
Most date from the last 30 years.

Thank you very much,

Jan

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,025 messages
  • July 10, 2019 08:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hi Jan, I don't believe there are companies that deodorize books. I think you should do it yourself.

Completely deodorizing may not be possible, but ventilation can help a bit. You can put a book somewhere without contact with other books (in a dry place of course). Preferably unfolded on the back. After some time, the smell will become less strong.

Another thing you can do is sprinkle the book with baking soda and keep it in a plastic bag. Even then the odor diminishes. You can remove the baking powder with a dustpan or a vacuum cleaner.

Often the pages still smell a bit .. To get the smell out even better, you should actually dust every page.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • July 10, 2019 12:50
July 10, 2019 12:50

I'm afraid this will be difficult given the amount of books (and my lack of time).

I was hoping something would be possible with eg ozone gas or something to do it faster.

Thanks for the tip. I take note and remain interested in other options.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,025 messages
  • July 16, 2019 08:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

In the Wikipedia I read that ozone is used to deodorize interiors and materials after fire. That means that ozone could indeed help deodorize books. I do not know what equipment is used for this. You could ask a company that specializes in the removal of odor damage.

There are also products on the market that mask or break down odors. Because they are liquids, they seem less suitable for the pages (but for the cover).

Finally, you can also put books in a freezer (in a plastic bag, of course). That in any case kills the bacteria present

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • July 16, 2019 13:12
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Experts in booking treatment can be found at the Kon Bieb. They respond quickly to information questions. Progenion is a manufacturer of air filter devices (silent), but they cost 175 euros. Working on ozone and you can, so to speak, keep it on continuously.

Show original message
5of 5