17of 17
  • 86 messages
  • March 24, 2014 12:30
added

Sometimes when offering books I read: a 'limited edition' - or a

'rare copy'.

I wonder how people will find out.

Is there anything known to you about how to get here in any way - or any particular one that you can consult to find out if it is indeed a rare or limited book?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,403 messages
  • March 24, 2014 13:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If it says "Limited", it can only be used if the edition is known.

For example: Limited edition of 100 copies, whether or not numbered or signed, but the number must be stated somewhere.

"Rare" is a relative term, often used as a sales pitch.

Show original message
  • 86 messages
  • March 24, 2014 13:40
added

Thank you for your answer!

Indeed 'Rare' is a relative term but is often used.

As I understand it can be used as an indication when selling a book etc. everyone can be used just like that.

Will this be tested or checked by Catawiki?

I assume so.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • March 24, 2014 14:05
added
prices
reviews

There is no substantive check to see if this is indeed the case, too much other work on the shelf, but I always remove the phrase rare from Specials, if you are talking about a catalog item at least.

Show original message
  • 86 messages
  • March 24, 2014 14:13
added

That is reassuring because otherwise this would lead to abuse and this would have a detrimental effect on the site.

Can I assume that when Lots are offered at the auction that there will be of a check?

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • March 25, 2014 21:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No control is watertight. You will always have to check the details of an offered item for their correctness . That actually applies to any auction, anywhere in the world.

Show original message
  • 86 messages
  • March 26, 2014 16:49
added

Okay, but if I mention 'rare' for an offered lot, how do I find out whether it is a 'rare' item?

Can I draw the conclusion if there is little supply of it item can be found on the internet is that this is a 'rare' item, or is this reasoned too simply?

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • March 26, 2014 18:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Jilles rightly said that "rare" is a relative term, "little supply of the item" is. Does that mean that 1 is being offered? Or 2, or 3, or 4? I couldn't say it.

In addition, the question plays an important role. If there are 10 of something on offer, but there are 1000 people urgently wanting a copy, then it is still a rare item.

If an item is so rare that there is only 1 copy in the world offered, but no one wants to buy it, so rarity is of no use to you.

But why do you want to know this so badly? What is your goal with this question?

Show original message
  • 86 messages
  • March 26, 2014 19:08
added

Because I often come across the expression with offers and wonder. : How do you know - or find out if an item can be called rare and if there is a demand for it?

In an earlier message posted at the book forum message: Offered auction lot, the following was answered:

'The auctioneer determines whether it is attractive enough for the auction. It mainly looks at the attractiveness, rarity, possible yield and the demand for the item."

So...hence my question -out of curiosity-: How does one know - or do you find out if an item is rare, if there is a demand for it and...is there a way to find out for yourself?.

The reason why I would like to know this is primarily out of curiosity, and if there is a method I would like to use it to test the possible value of my books

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • March 26, 2014 22:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Before the internet existed, there were a lot of rare books, which you might only come across once in your life.

But the internet changed everything. Suddenly it turned out that perhaps 20 of a rare book were for sale in various places in the country. As a result, some prices have dropped considerably.

The above is actually an answer. Information about books (for example about the value) can be found all over the internet. Obviously, it remains difficult to interpret the information obtained in the best possible way. You learn that through experience. I don't believe there is any way or method to master it quickly.

Show original message
  • 2,403 messages
  • March 26, 2014 23:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

When I found this book43157 on a second-hand/book market and told it to my - then - comic book salesman in the evening, he didn't believe me at first.

It was impossible because the great Kresse collector and biographer had never seen this book.

Rare? In any case, a rare and beautiful discovery.

More copies have now been found and even 1 has been on the Catawiki auction.

Nowadays, if you want to measure whether a book is rare, as Vertigo said - the internet offers a wide opportunity to look around the many sales sites. But even then it can be on the bookshelf of many.

And sometimes it is the case that if a rare high amount is paid for a "rare" book, other copies are quickly offered.

Show original message
  • 86 messages
  • March 27, 2014 16:13
added

I have also had the above experience.... so that's why I ask you.

But it is good to know to be careful with expressions such as: rare-unique, etc

Anyway,..... collecting / selling, it's still fun and exciting, isn't it?

Thanks for your clarifying answers.

Show original message
  • 29 messages
  • March 27, 2014 20:21
March 27, 2014 20:21

Another nice example:

Just auctioned - http://www.americanaexchange.com/auction_lot_books/1045994

In 2008, the largest auction house in the Netherlands (until Catawiki started) auctioned for 440 + premium.

Now auctioned at Catawiki for 4600 + premium. And the item just auctioned is a lot less beautiful (visible wormholes with loss of letters, not mentioned in the description by the way).

Rare? Three copies in the STCN, another four at another printer in the STCN. Just pretty general I'd say. But a top price!

Rarity has no correlation with price. And in this case, I think more will be on offer soon ...

Show original message
  • 29 messages
  • March 27, 2014 20:32
March 27, 2014 20:32

And to come back to Vertigo: some prices have gone down, but many prices have also increased tenfold with the argument 'not available anywhere else'.

If you want to buy quickly, you also pay accordingly. . Remember that search time is also 'money', and people these days apparently prefer to spend that 'money' now.

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • March 28, 2014 22:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews

xxxxxx

Show original message
  • 1,025 messages
  • March 28, 2014 23:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@sral:

- The proceeds of an auction are always a snapshot. You cannot draw far-reaching conclusions from the comparison of two benefits. And there may be reasons for a price lagging behind.

In this case, the first auction ended on November 28, 2008: just after the stock market crash of Sep./Oct. 2008, the start of the crisis, a very uncertain period. I don't think it's really the time to get a top price for an expensive book.

- Six years have passed since the sale of Bubb Kuyper. The first shock of the crisis has passed. People are looking for alternative investments. This could explain the high price.

For a meaningful comparison, you have n.m. more digits needed.

Show original message
  • 29 messages
  • March 29, 2014 08:45
March 29, 2014 08:45

@ vertigo

I have been around the Dutch auction world for many years (which is being shaken up by Catawiki). Many auction results are not available online, including more recent ones, the traditional auction world is only recently starting to see the need for the internet. This book has been auctioned several times in recent years, consistently around 300-500 euros (but not so directly linked). If you search at Bubb you will find both a slightly earlier and a slightly later edition (auction results 2012 and 2013) for 325 and 375 excluding premium. This book was so popular that it often appeared several editions per year for two centuries.

The auction provider had been offering it for 600 euros via Marktplaats for a few months (seems a reasonable price to me). So he made a good choice by offering the book on Catawiki,

\ Catawiki regularly shows prices that are double (or more) of auctions, antiqbook / addall or bookstores (and marketplace) . Several people build a nice life by buying there and selling on Catawiki.

Catawiki simply offers an opportunity for a new audience that never comes to auctions or other sites (and does not feel like going crazy bottomline: Catawiki is offering a completely new experience for buyers, apparently. With ditto prices. Sometimes a bit lower than through other channels, but usually much higher. Only compliments for this achievement. And on topic: rarity only counts within a sales channel. Rare in the eyes of Catawiki users cannot be rare elsewhere.

As for crisis, I was at the auction in 2008. Good books went for top prices. Business as usual, the 'crisis' was then more than compensated by the new findability via the internet. The crisis is only there for a part of the public, if you can pay a few thousand euros for a book, the crisis will not affect you.

But that's another discussion.

Show original message
17of 17