14of 14
  • 10 messages
  • January 15, 2021 14:35
prices
January 15, 2021 14:35

Recently I added some background information on Hermann Huppen and the Jeremiah series. I had largely borrowed this from Wikipedia. Quite a job to do this well. Now I see that these contributions have disappeared. What is the purpose of this option in Lastdodo? Should information be placed here or do they not want this? I do want to spend time on this, but if it is then removed without notification, I will leave this. Don't know where to report this, and do it here. Greetings Geoffrey

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 15, 2021 14:46
added
prices
info pages

If you have created a background page, you have undoubtedly also read the instructions:

A number of game rules apply to the entry. The most important are: write the text yourself and write objectively and concisely.

If you click on that link, you might find the answer to the question why your contribution has been rejected?

This I had largely taken from Wikipedia.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • January 15, 2021 16:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Boekenmagazijn: correct conclusion

@Geoffrey: the pages are indeed not included because the text is not self-written.

What is the purpose of this option in Lastdodo? Should information be included here or do they not want this?

This seems to me a reasonable example.

Show original message
  • 909 messages
  • January 15, 2021 17:11
added
prices
reviews

@Bookstore

And what's wrong with grabbing info from Wikipedia?

After all, just like LastDodo, it's a wiki.

To my knowledge, you will not be reimbursed for contributions to wikis.

And many are already satisfied if there is something about "them" on it.

And if I replace 5 words in a text with synonyms, it is my own written text.

And not everyone takes the trouble to write their own text.

Often the text has been taken over literally.

But watch out is of course always the message.

But "commercial sites" probably don't mind if you "borrow" something; really just reckame for their cause.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 15, 2021 17:23
added
prices
info pages

And what's wrong with grabbing info from Wikipedia?

It's all about "picking". Just because a text is written by a volunteer does not mean that it is not copyrighted.

The information is public, but a well-written text often takes a lot of time and effort and copying is considered plagiarism, even if you replace a few words with synonyms.

Of course you can only formulate some things in one way (eg "Hermann Huppen is a Belgian comics artist"), but for the rest you will have to write it down in your own style.

But "commercial sites" probably don't mind if you "borrow" something; really just reckame for their cause.

No problem, as long as you cite the source.

Show original message
  • 909 messages
  • January 15, 2021 17:39
added
prices
reviews

@Bookstore

Ok That's clear.

But then LastDodo better immediately appoint someone to check all this ... And mention the source ... And it is not all text. But also photos with the images (so 1, 2 and 3) in the catalog ...

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 15, 2021 17:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Bookstore:

It is good that users bring up this topic. I do hope that in general importers if the background information is not cf lines, they will receive a message?

You always get information about something from other sources. If a copy is not allowed, you may write something else out of the same text, not even, that is then disguised plagiarism, right? . I also always had trouble with background data. They really do not come from my own brain, often a composition that you have read and heard. I thought I managed to cut and paste nothing. But I also stopped because it is almost impossible to do without sources. Question is: can you place a link or several links if information about what has ever been included in the Catalog? Do you also have to ask permission from Wikipedia, for example? If it were allowed, the option could be built differently.

Show original message
  • 10 messages
  • January 15, 2021 17:55
prices
January 15, 2021 17:55

I thought getting the info from Wikipedia itself was a good idea, because that info is free to use, and because I contribute to it every now and then. I don't want to beat myself up, but have already added a lot of info about comic books. Incidentally, I had already made changes to the text myself. Love to hear how Lastdodo wants to deal with this. Otherwise, I'll leave it.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 15, 2021 18:00
added
prices
info pages

But then LastDodo better appoint someone to check all this ...

That is basically - just like with the images - the job of the administrators, although I don't know how many of them keep an eye on the background pages.

I do hope that in general, if the background information is not in line with lines, the importers will receive a message?

I don't know if it always happens, but that seems to me to be a matter of decency.

If a copy should not be allowed, you may write something else from the same text, not even, that is then disguised plagiarism, right?

If you were not allowed to use sources, then no more scientific studies could be published. Combining information from different sources often yields new insights. Repeating general information in your own words is always allowed, quoting verbatim is also allowed (limited, and with acknowledgment of the source), but you are not allowed to copy entire pieces of text. Not even if you have the author's permission, as that is against LastDodo's rules.

Linking to other websites doesn't seem like a problem. But just writing "For more background information see Wikipedia" is not very informative ;-)

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 15, 2021 18:08
added
prices
info pages

@Geoffreys: Wikipedia also has rules about the reuse by third parties of the information on the site. In particular art. 7a of the Terms of Use determines what is and is not allowed. I think you can keep roughly the same standard for LastDodo.

Show original message
  • 2,404 messages
  • January 15, 2021 18:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I don't know if it always happens, but that seems to me to be a matter of decency.

Sounds silly, but the administrator's own e-mail is rejected, and not everyone wants that. That's why you see items being doubled and merged later, then you don't have that 'problem'.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • January 15, 2021 18:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I'm afraid that everything that is built into the nice LD catalog, which has to do with rights of others, is barely manageable in terms of "control". Even if you had 5 times as many driven managers with hours of free time every day. That seems like a pessimistic view of things, it is not to me, just look realistically at how "the well-known companies and institutes", with professional staff, have to pull out all the stops. Perhaps it is a good time to check whether the catalog has not become too complex and some options have to be removed ... I am a helmsman on shore, I know, but often we cannot figure it out in discussions on the Forum and erases it or ends up on To do lists. And that doesn't solve anything.

Show original message
  • 1,798 messages
  • January 15, 2021 19:20
added
prices
info pages

Maybe a stupid question, but in general photos of e.g. Record sleeves, books, stamps and the like are made and placed with LastDodo, then there are no rights on them, if rights are already attached to a normal Text on Wikipedia, and if they are copied like that, they are rejected here.

Greetings John.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,320 messages
  • January 15, 2021 22:37
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Maybe a stupid question, but in general photos of e.g. Record sleeves, books, stamps and the like are made and placed with LastDodo, then there are no rights to them

No, they are self-created images and the Usage Material is licensed to LastDodo under the terms and conditions. Hence, photos "plucked" from the Internet will be removed, as the user has no rights to them.
Boekenmagazijn has said enough about using someone else's texts.

Show original message
14of 14