12of 12
  • 232 messages
  • July 21, 2020 16:26
added
prices
reviews

Is it possible (desirable) to add Pop-Up as type in the Comics category?

I now have 2 albums that I really can't put in comics because pop-up is not an option.

https: //www.lastdodo .en / catalog / comics / series-heroes / willie-jolliffe / 8144493-wicked-willie-stand-up-comic

https://www.lastdodo.nl/catalogus/boeken/series hero-in / frankenstein / 7366327-frankenstein

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2020 16:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Because pop-ups have a large group of collectors who cannot bomb it or have a comic in it, we decided a few years ago to put all pop-ups in the Books section and the type of Pop-up from Comics.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • July 21, 2020 16:52
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Gedo,

Gedo, what you show as an example is nice and correctly entered as Pop Up and then comic related with references?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2020 17:18
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That second one was already good. The first I moved ...

Show original message
  • 232 messages
  • July 22, 2020 02:02
added
prices
reviews

Thank you for your answer Arco.

An absolute fallacy unfortunately.

A large group of pop-up book collectors? I think this one is many times smaller than the group of comic collectors. If I say it roughly, there are maybe 15 real pop-up book collectors, the rest have only a few and most have 1 or 2 pop-up books in their collection.

And just because it 'can't bomb them' doesn't mean it can't bomb me or other comic collectors.

If she can't bomb the fact that there is a strip in it once, she probably can't bomb that the comic pop-ups are in comics.

In addition, pop-up books are very often picture books, which can then be placed as a kind of comic? While browsing through the pop-up books section, I think it would be better if the entire selection (only 955 books) would fit better under comics than under books.

'We decided that years ago'. Years ago they also thought the world was flat. That does not mean that insights can change. With such a stubborn need to stick to what was decided years ago, this catalog is not moving forward. Since when is 'because it was decided years ago' a reason not to change.

So Arco, instead of just serving everything away with a somewhat condescending tone, you can also climb into the digital pen with a little more compassion and consideration.

And for better reasons than these, in my opinion, blanks come.

With the highest regard and kind regards.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • July 22, 2020 09:18
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Dear Gedo, I am just a books and comic book enthusiast and saw your tight reaction to Arco. I will not interfere with that.

The bottom line is whether a pop up album belongs in a comic book section. A pup up book is a book and can be given the pop up book feature and various other features when entered into books. Children's book, science, etc., whatever the pop up book represents. A pop-up remains a book with perhaps a comic form included in it, what is the objection that such a pop-up book is included under books with comic-related and cross-references. Isn't that fine ?? Can imagine if a pop up is completely a comic strip (see definition of comic strip) with pop up s as an extra you do have a point.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 22, 2020 09:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hi Gedo,

I'm really not condescending, you know, at the most putting things into perspective.

In the beginning, Pop-up was kind of like Comics. Not since 2018. Years ago we started to organize more strictly and that is why, for example, annual reports in comic form are no longer included in Comics. And we are also transferring sketchbooks, picture books and art books. And finally, secondary literature and magazines will be dealt with one more time. Collection albums are sometimes also in comic form, but we still let the fact that they are collectibles prevail.

There are people who, if there is a picture somewhere, immediately call it a comic. Nothing wrong with that, but fortunately there is a group of administrators who make well-considered decisions about the location of items across all categories. In difficult cases, they allow other considerations to play a role in addition to the concept of 'object'. And that choice is of course always debatable. But for now we will leave it as is, especially since it only concerns 1 or 2 books.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,755 messages
  • July 22, 2020 11:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The bottom line is that all (all? .. yes all!) comic books actually belong under the books. When setting up the catalog, it was (unfortunately?) Decided to give a certain type of book its own main section with its own specific fields. And then by definition you get "bullshit" with setting the limit when a book scores sufficiently on various characteristics to call it a comic book.

That decision from the ancient days cannot be undone without a lot of programming work (because of all those mismatched fields). And Lastdodo has enough on the board for the time being so we muddle through on the chosen path. Some pop-up books (also) contain comics, but they are too few to sort them with comics. We would very much like to have all pop-up books together in one section.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • July 22, 2020 12:13
added
prices
reviews

I think we have had this discussion before, but if you continue to reason like this, then you should actually put all paper publications (newspapers, magazines, books, brochures, competition programs, etc.) together in a section and if you continue to reason, everything should be made of paper. each other (also the train tickets, tea bags, etc.) because they have shared fields such as printer, paper type, title, year, color, etc. and if you then reason further, you get 1 main category with all objects in it ;-)

It remains somewhat arbitrary when you classify objects in a separate category, but I think that besides "maximum internal coherence and minimum external correlation" it is healthy to also look at what larger groups of people have a specific interest in. After all, there are specific comic fairs, comic shops, comic publishers, comic museums, comic forums, comic information sheets, comic collectors' associations, etc. So it's not that crazy to also have a specific catalog section for comics. Of course there are many similarities with the book category and there is a gray area, but every choice for a certain division into categories has advantages and disadvantages, I'm afraid.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 22, 2020 13:30
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What Peter means is, I think, that in the past we could have chosen to include comics in the book section as a kind of Comic. And then just create a user interface that allows you to isolate everything that is Strip. Just say like we used to have theme categories. Then at least all fields were the same and you have one less section to maintain. That is now a passed station.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • July 22, 2020 14:09
added
prices
reviews

What Peter means is, I think, that in the past we could have chosen to include comics in the book section as a kind of Comic. And then just create a user interface with which you can isolate everything that is Strip.

I get that. I'm just saying you could apply that to a lot of rubrics. Personally, I think it is important that we also match people's interests when choosing categories. And there is simply a large group of comic collectors. The theoretically perfect solution might be a highly layered tree structure in which comic books are a specialization of books; books a breakdown of paper publications; paper editions a specification of editions (including records, etc.) and so on. The only question is how workable and recognizable that is in practice.

Anyway, luckily we all agree that adapting this structure to a highly layered tree structure is not very realistic and we will continue on the same path for the time being. Personally, I don't think this is "muddling through", that's what I meant mainly :-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,755 messages
  • July 22, 2020 15:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A tree structure for everything, with selection criteria, would of course be fantastic, but then Catawiki probably never would have existed. I once tried with the themes of the stamp section and you always get stuck somewhere, so you keep developing without realizing a final product.

From the set-up of a catalog for collectors, starting with some specific collectors and specific collections, it makes perfect sense that the site is set up the way it is set up.

But the fact remains that comics is de facto still a theme category in disguise. you can disagree about how bad that is, but you should be aware that it is. Then you understand why there are often things in comics that could very well be elsewhere, that second syllable of comic book is not entirely coincidental. :-) And why there are sometimes things elsewhere that are really comics, the infamous Peanuts particles from the Zwarte Beertjes series. And then you also understand why it is so important that the necessary choices you make about whether to put something in comics or not should be well documented. Incidentally, the boundaries of the theme category comics are already becoming narrower because, as Arco indicated, more and more "types" are being transferred elsewhere.

Show original message
12of 12