15of 15
  • 4,319 messages
  • December 22, 2016 14:53
added
prices
info pages

Because the chronology in the series Blueberry is rather confusing, I had a list of all stories made. Catawiki numbers the stories per cycle , but I think that few people have a good idea of this, also because you cannot sort by story number yet. It turns out that a lot of items have been given the wrong story number (often the same as the album number, which works with most other series). That is why I have now expanded my list and put it on the background page.

My layout, which looks perfect in the preview, is of course screwed up again on the page itself (line breaks are ignored), but I hope it will yet clear enough. (Or check here .)

There still appear to be some inconsistencies in the current numbering . For this particular case, the Handbook does not provide a ready-made solution, so I will not adapt it on my own. I would like to hear what the administrators think is the most suitable solution.

P.S. Does anyone know why Arizona Love is featured twice in the Main Series?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,325 messages
  • December 22, 2016 15:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Bookstore
Because the chronology in the series Blueberry is rather confusing, I had a list of all stories made

All credit for this initiative, great work.
Probably someone has already adapted Arizona Love, because I only see it once in the Main Series now.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 22, 2016 16:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes, I just did.

Nice initiative, indeed. Should actually be done with many more series. Pegag just submitted a fresh version of the handbook, so I'd love to hear what's not clear there in terms of story numbers. Then we might be able to take that with us.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,325 messages
  • December 23, 2016 16:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Because the chronology in the series Blueberry is rather confusing, I had a list of all stories made. Catawiki numbers the stories per cycle , but I think that few people have a good idea of this, also because you cannot sort by story number yet. It turns out that a lot of items have been given the wrong story number (often the same as the album number, which works with most other series). That is why I have now expanded my list and put it on the background page.

The story numbers have been adapted to the overview mentioned.

However, I have not changed the numbering in brackets of The early years of Blueberry. Indeed, this requires some thought.
The same problem occurs with Marshall Blueberry.
A solution could perhaps be a numbering per hero (Lieutenant Blueberry - The early years of Blueberry - Marshall Blueberry). However, here you run into the hero Blueberry, who is linked to 3 other hero series.

@Bookstore - Is it true that Terror over Kansas has the number [V7-2] or should it be [V6-2]?

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • December 23, 2016 20:29
added
prices
info pages

@Boekenmagazijn - Is it true that Terror over Kansas has the number [V7-2] or should it be [V6-2]?

With 3 of the 4 albums it is indeed stated in the most recent state V6-2. I don't have these albums to hand myself and I can't remember if "Terror" is a sequel to "Outlaws", but I suspect it is.

Since the first 3 albums of "Young Years" consist of short stories by Giraud (so with K-numbering), I would however (like Tammo) propose to number the new stories by Wilson and Blanc-Dumont from V1. The same applies to "Marshall Blueberry" albums, which therefore also fall outside the numbering of the Series "Blueberry".

The Tombstone cycle can then be renumbered to V9.
(Or V10, if you split everything according to the French format.)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,325 messages
  • December 24, 2016 13:02
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The Tombstone cycle can then be renumbered to V9.
(Or V10, if you split everything according to the French format.)

I find the French division of cycles 7 and 8 somewhat artificial, so I prefer to consider V7-1 to V7-5 as 1 cycle.
The Tombstone cycle then becomes V9-1 to V9-6.

Terror over Kansas is also a sequel to The Outlaws according to the Matla catalog.

The current numbering of the stories of The Young Years is a bit lacking, maybe this is a slightly better one:

V1-1 The Missouri Outlaws
V1-2 Terror over Kansas
V2-1 The hellish train
V2-2 The Merciless Pursuit
V2-3 Three men for Atlanta
V3 The price of the blood
V4 The Pinkerton Solution
V5 The Mission of the Damned
V6 The last train to Washington
V7 The Plot Against Lincoln
V8 The Cincinnati Butcher
V9 The Mexican Fury
V10 $ 100 To Die
F11 The Path of Tears
V12-1 1276 souls
V12-2 Redemption
F13 The Convoy of the Exiles

The 3 Marshall Blueberry stories then become V1, V2 and V3.

The problem remains the hero Blueberry, which is needed to keep all Blueberry books / stories together. Only the story numbers are then no longer linked to the hero Blueberry, but is this bad?
If there are no objections, I will accept the (partial) renumbering.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • December 24, 2016 14:25
added
prices
info pages

The Handbook says (in art. 15.2):

It is therefore not about how many stories in this book it is, but how many stories of the (main) series\hero.

Blueberry alphabetically always stands for Young Years of Blueberry, De or Marshal Blueberry , but from the representation of the 3 Main Series he is already treated as a secondary "hero".

The only overlap in the Main Sequences concerns Giraud's 3 Early Years albums, which do not affect story numbering.

I can't think of any other series where the same dilemma occurs.

Show original message
  • 49 messages
  • December 26, 2016 20:29
added
prices

Two short stories with the same title in French explains why an error with the chronology was made when compiling the albums with short stories.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 26, 2016 21:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Tammo

Blueberry is always Blueberry. It has always been the intention that the same Story Numbers within a Series / Hero refer to the same story. We really shouldn't deviate from that. In this case, I would therefore rather argue for an extra code with the Story number. I will also consult with the super administrators.

From the start of adding subheroes to this Series, I have had a hard time with it, because it will remain a tie for eternity. Every item in Catawiki where Blueberry appears in or on must have two Series or must be linked to two Series ...

So it is not the case that the hero Blueberry is needed to link everything together (that's just the standard way of working); precisely those subheroes are an anomaly.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,325 messages
  • December 26, 2016 23:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Arco

Understandably Blueberry is a problem.
I agree that a story number should always refer to the same story of the Series / Hero, preferably chronologically.
The interweaving of the 3 subseries does not promote the clarity of the stories If the stories and story numbers have to remain linked to the Series / Hero Blueberry, then an extra code with the Story number is indeed a solution.
Proposal on my part:

Stories Lieutenant Blueberry starting with V-LB
Stories The Early Years of Blueberry Starting with V-JB
Marshal Blueberry's stories starting with V-MB

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • December 27, 2016 08:19
added
prices
reviews

A comparable series is Thorgal. However, we have chosen to start numbering again for all spin-offs.

So we know several V1 stories within the Thorgal series.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,755 messages
  • December 27, 2016 10:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Part of the problem is that we (mea culpa) have not unambiguously recorded in the handbook whether the fifth story of a series means the fifth story within the chronology of the series or the story that was drawn fifth. The second definition would instantly give every Blueberry of Thorgal story a unique number. The first definition causes problems with spin-offs and later childhood stories. I think that decision must be made first, in series order or character order, and then it must be considered how best to administer it.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • December 27, 2016 10:19
added
prices
reviews

In character order will, probably, cause problems with the logical order in story numbering. In the case of Thorgal, there are 3 spin-offs running simultaneously next to the main series.

There will then be gaps in the numbering within the different series. This makes the story sequence difficult to follow ..

The sequence must remain logical within one (sub) series. I don't think we can avoid adding an extra code per series.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 27, 2016 10:52
added
prices
info pages
reviews

We don't know anything about character order. I would rather talk about (pre) publishing order in the original language.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,325 messages
  • December 27, 2016 11:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If it was ever possible to filter / search for story numbers per (sub) Hero, it would be good if it was immediately clear to which (sub) Hero the relevant story number applies. A story numbering per sub Hero using an extra code is then strongly preferred. In case of consecutive numbering you would otherwise get an unclear whole per sub-series and also per series.

A catalog is to describe / classify unique items and to gain a good insight and overview (series, series, stories, authors, publisher, etc.).

Show original message
15of 15