Go to page
25of 39
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 168 messages
  • October 12, 2008 10:13
added
prices
reviews

An album that was originally released plain and is now out in color. Will this be entered in Catawiki as a first edition or a reprint? In other words, a first color print, as it were.
And what about an album that is being reissued with a redesigned layout (cf. de Kiekeboes, which have all been reprinted in the new layout since “De Heeren van Scheurbuyck”)? I would say there can only be one album the first edition, or am I wrong?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • October 12, 2008 10:53
added
prices
reviews

Personally, I find it interesting to know whether a revised edition is a first edition or not.
Consider, for example, the Guust stories that were originally published in OB-long format (landscape format) and later in regular format. Many people also collect the first editions of the regular editions. Not to mention Tintin and all the editions of all the revised editions collected from it…
I think a solution could be to indicate in a separate field whether it is a Revised release or not. Then a distinction can be made between first edition and reprint for both the first edition and revised editions.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 12, 2008 17:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A revised edition is indeed a first edition for many collectors.
Sometimes a revised edition (except for the cover) is also not identical in content to the first edition. Take Heinz, for example.
In the publications of Oog & amp; Blik is a different selection of gags than in the albums of Gezellig & amp; Nice.
You shouldn't call that reprints.

Show original message
  • 168 messages
  • October 17, 2008 20:36
added
prices
reviews

I would like to clarify the many reprints that are in Catawiki or will be included in the future regarding the comic series “The Red Knight”. Currently there is an “Uncoloured series” and a “Colored series”. I am thinking of renaming it and splitting it up into:
“Uncoloured series (1st edition)”
“Uncoloured series (reprint)”
“Colored series (1st edition)”
“ Colored series (reprint) ”
But I would have liked to hear your opinion on this first.
And what about the old black and white albums that were released in color for the first time. Do I place these under the “Colored series (1st edition)” - series or under the “Colored series (reprint)” - series? ) ”
“ Colored series (reprint) ”
In any case, it would be a lot easier for the collector if the 1st and the reprints are separated in this way. And for such a large series as S & amp; W, red knight, peek-a-boo, ... otherwise it will be an incalculable mess.
Or am I seeing this wrong?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 17, 2008 21:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What I certainly know is that if a book is re-published, but in color, it will be a 1st edition again.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • October 19, 2008 16:59
added
prices
reviews

Indeed. Agree with Arco.

Show original message
  • 19 messages
  • February 12, 2009 01:35
added
prices
February 12, 2009 01:35

I would like to plead not to use new terms where necessary. In Tintin in Concreto (Ottens) some definitions are described, including:
Print: an edition of identical books.
Edition: A single edition, or a print in which the books have been changed compared to the previous edition.
Variant: An unintentionally deviating copy within a print.
First edition: The first edition of the first edition.
First edition: The first edition of each edition.
Reprint: An unaltered new edition.
Changed: substantive change in text, drawings, coloring, typography or design.
The name “first edition of a reprint” is therefore a white fungus.
In my opinion, the above definitions speak for themselves. I have been researching terminology for years and published this in-house in the book “Terminology of the Comic Book”, this can certainly be a guideline.
Another suggestion: the first an album of the original overseas release is an “original first release” (note the difference between release and print)
Regards,
Alex

Show original message
  • 215 messages
  • February 24, 2009 21:19
added
prices
reviews

Noticed a problem with the reprints of suske en wiske
How are we going to record several reprints in the same year?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 26, 2009 00:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I think I might not fully understand, because I don't see the problem of multiple reprints in the same year, unless the backsides are completely identical. Do you mean that sometimes?

Show original message
  • 402 messages
  • February 26, 2009 07:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

[In response to previous point] Wonder how you know it's a reprint in the same year if everything is the same, but that aside.
It is in itself a nice fact to determine what a first edition and reprint are.
Basically, there are three variants:
- first print
- reprint
- reissue
Hereby applies to the reprint that you can have it in two variants:
- unaltered reprint
- modified reprint
Divided into these possibilities, you can really only argue about the term reprint. Especially when a reprint has or has not been changed compared to the first edition. This includes the year and other colophon data. In that case, is it an unchanged or modified reprint? Technically speaking, yes.
Example: An edition from a different publisher (such as much Lombard/Helmond/Dargaud material) compared to the first edition would become an altered reprint.
After all, it is the same story, but probably a new cover and colophon.
A publication in a different form, for example first an album and later a paperback, is then a reissue.

Show original message
  • 215 messages
  • February 26, 2009 20:34
added
prices
reviews

With standard publishing you can determine in which month the album was printed see back cover and some years there are several prints
The only difference is the month of printing

Show original message
  • 402 messages
  • February 26, 2009 23:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

With standard publishing you can determine in which month the album was printed see back cover and some years there are several prints
I'm familiar with this, but there are more publishers than just Standard.

Show original message
  • 32 messages
  • March 01, 2009 22:25
added
reviews

Hmm, it remains a tricky subject. In which many people have just as many ideas about. But this is how I feel about it.
- First Edition: The very first edition of a book
- Reprint: Everything that comes after the First Edition, possibly indicated by a number (2, 3, 4, etc)
But what if something is changed in the book.
I think the easiest way to fix this is to change the story numbers. For example, the first edition is v1. And the first changed edition would then be v1.1, followed by v1.2, v1.3, etc. An entry field could therefore briefly explain what has changed.
I think this is the most convenient way to indicate different pressures and variations.
@Alex
I agree with your terminology. But I think it will be difficult to implement this. Since the current terms are so familiar, even if they are less precise.
cheers

Show original message
  • 19 messages
  • March 06, 2009 00:38
added
prices
March 06, 2009 00:38

If you want to catalog, first make an inventory of what differences occur in practice. It is very difficult and a lot of work to add something in an encoding afterwards. Build on what is already known.
The comic as a collector's item is not separate from other collectibles, such as books and stamps. The terminology used should therefore correspond as much as possible with terminology from other collection areas. Example: for stamps, a variant is an unintended deviation. A comic is, for example, a copy where a color print has been forgotten. An intended deviation is called an edition.
The pressure is also often indicated in albums. If it says “first edition” then you cannot call it a reprint of another edition in a catalog. Then it is still acceptable “first edition of a reprint”, but it is not used in other collection areas.
If additions are made to story numbers, it makes sense that it says something about the story (the version) and not about a change in the performance (the edition).
It can help if you diagram the different terms.
vertical:
original
first edition
first edition
(in that language)
first edition
(at that publisher)
unamended reprint
(modified colophon)
amended reprint or revised edition
(see definition above)
horizontal:
story -version -language -edition -variant

Show original message
  • 19 messages
  • March 06, 2009 00:48
added
prices
March 06, 2009 00:48

Edition says something about the performance of the album (morphology, how it differs from other editions: colored, black and white, hard cover, soft cover, deluxe edition, format, redesigned cover, changed back cover, changed layout, modified translation, etc.
By reissue or revised edition you can mean anything published after the first edition.
It doesn't matter which terminology you choose, as long as it is clear to everyone.
Alex

Show original message
  • 380 messages
  • March 06, 2009 07:24

removed

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • October 25, 2010 08:49
added
prices
October 25, 2010 08:49

Here is a new question about a first edition or reprint. Some time ago I introduced my series Vae victis (SC and HC). Now I see that for the SC that a whole series has been added for the SC version with no price stated on the back. My question now concerns the rare particle 9. This appears to have been reprinted in 1989 (without addition), while the first edition was only published in 1999. This does not seem correct to me. I also have this particle in my shop and it is now getting confusing what the rare part is and which the reprint (so the cheaper part is). I see that both comics have sellers, but I suspect that just like I did the previous particle in the sale, which was subsequently changed. How about now?

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 25, 2010 09:21
added
prices
reviews

@ Polleke

It is quite confusing indeed. The one from 1999 (with price) is the first edition.

The 1998 album (without price) is the 2nd edition (and not the first edition of a reissue). This one is probably from 1999 because part 11 is being announced on it.

Show original message
  • 4,320 messages
  • October 25, 2010 10:19
added
prices
info pages

I am not very familiar with the series, and it is very difficult to see on such a small scan, but the back of 27855 (part 9 without price) seems identical to me to that of 107979 (part 10 without price). The barcode does not look the same as with 142835 (part 9 with prize). There are plenty of collectors and sellers, and at such prices it is disappointing that no one bothered to do a good scan of the back.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 25, 2010 10:45
added
prices
reviews

@ Bookstore

You are absolutely right. The barcodes of part 10 and part 9 without price are identical, although this is indeed difficult to see. Part 9 with price has at least a different barcode. I have since removed the back cover of this part.

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • October 26, 2010 13:42
added
prices
reviews

What is it like in a Triology? it usually contains Books that have already been published

if it concerns the first edition of this Triology, I indicate the first edition of a reissue

because the Books have already appeared as an independent copy

or is the first edition more applied there?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 26, 2010 14:46
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, that is indeed the first edition of a reissue.

Show original message
  • 2,421 messages
  • October 26, 2010 14:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A trilogy is a new book and then it must be a first edition, even if, for example, the quires used are older. Example: 22756

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 26, 2010 15:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Sorry, but you are really wrong (if I understand you correctly).

In Catawiki, every edition that contains work previously published in book form is called a reprint or a first edition of a reissue. There is only one first edition per story, so it has been agreed. The rest is a derivative and never a first edition again,

Show original message
  • 1,756 messages
  • October 26, 2010 16:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Formally, 22756 is even a bundle, and a bundle I don't think it can be a 1st edition by definition.

But it remains difficult matter. As soon as a draftsman starts redrawing or coloring things (differently), it suddenly becomes a 1st edition again. You should have just noticed all of that.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 39