Go to page
25of 60
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 66 messages
  • August 27, 2010 14:44
added
prices
reviews

The bizarre fact is that there is still no field for the number of pages with the comics.
Surely this is one of the most basic data and should by no means be missing in a self-respecting comic book database! At least I don't know of any database where this data is missing.

Is it really that difficult to add such a field?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • August 27, 2010 16:00
added
prices
reviews

This must indeed still be yes. We haven't got around to it yet. Marco will not be there for the next week (he will be needed). Perhaps the following week.

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • August 27, 2010 17:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

And then (especially for older books where this is once lacking) the flyleaves; printed or unprinted.

For example, for a Christopher Columbus by Jijé from 1947, you should be able to state that there is first a recto-verso blank flyleaf, then twice a recto title page with blank verso side. Album starts with page 7 and has 1 recto blank flyleaf at the back.
Then the album is only complete.

How are you going to indicate this in one field?

And what do we mean by number of pages. Pages or pages?
The last numbered page for this album is 80.
The number of pages is 41.
The number of pages is 82.
Without counting endpapers, it would be 37 pages and 74 pages. But since they have started counting, for the page numbering, at the first flyleaf, will it still be 82?

Um, just to be brief: How do I count my pages so that I don't dump falsehoods into the catalog in the future?

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • August 27, 2010 19:23
added
prices
reviews

For example, for a Christopher Columbus by Jijé from 1947, you should be able to state that there is first a recto-verso blank flyleaf, then twice a recto title page with blank verso side. Album starts with page 7 and has 1 recto blank flyleaf at the back.
Only then is the album complete. How are you going to indicate that in one field?

In this case I would mention that in details. It is a special situation, of course.

Um, just to be brief: How do I count my pages so that I don't dump falsehoods into the catalog in the future?

I think it should be the number of pages to where in the book itself is numbered. Otherwise it will be too complicated, I think, as you have already sketched yourself

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • August 28, 2010 02:45
added
prices
reviews

Then the album is only complete.

Yes Jozef, you can indeed make it just as complicated as you want. If we disregard the rectal blocking of pages for a moment (I don't think this is beneficial for the life of the book either), then for 99% of the comics the number of pages is equal to the number of pages.
Sometimes there are unnumbered or Roman numeral enclosures. Just as Rene states, this can be stated separately Pages that do not contain useful information, such as endpapers, notepads, etc., simply do not count. That is, if they are not already included in the page numbering.

However, all these arguments are no reason not to include a page numbering field.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,346 messages
  • August 28, 2010 09:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Please keep it as simple as possible by only entering the number of pages in this field, which is the same as the numbering in the relevant book.

Now there is also sometimes a different number of pages listed, each time I first look to see if I have a different album. But the importer unfortunately subtracts the title pages from the number stated in the book, very confusing.

Attachments and the like can easily be mentioned in the details.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • August 28, 2010 15:01
added
prices
reviews

As a layman, may I ask a very silly question in this area? Why is the weight not included? When I order a book, that is crucial for me, especially if it is abroad. For example, there is a huge difference in postage costs between less than 2 and more than 2 kilos of registered shipping ... And there are also restrictions for the weight per carrier internationally. As a buyer, you will also be less likely to be faced with surprises and you can order "smartly" by just approaching the rate limits, also taking into account packaging.

Show original message
  • 4,320 messages
  • August 28, 2010 15:20
added
prices
info pages

Why is the weight not included?

Perhaps because traditionally it is not customary to state the weight of books. The same goes for the thickness (in the library world usually only the height is indicated). While weight may not matter bibliographically, I agree that it is useful as an optional field. A collector may not have good scales, but for a trader this is an indispensable tool.

(Incidentally, Bol.com also mentions the weight, as well as the thickness. And the original title, even though such an omission in Catawiki.)

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • August 29, 2010 10:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

However, all these arguments are no reason not to include a page numbering field.

I was not looking for a reason not to make the field, but a fixed rule that everyone can adhere to.
That is simply the last numbered sheet.
How beautiful the simplicity can be.

Show original message
  • 166 messages
  • August 29, 2010 17:32
added
prices

Personally, I have never missed the page count as important information. With the photos and other information with the items, all comic books that I find interesting can be identified.

Simplicity is indeed to use the last numbered page as the number for the number of pages. For really important additions, the box is details.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 29, 2010 19:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As soon as there is time to focus more on the stories in an album, in addition to the number of pages per book, there is also the plan to indicate exactly how many plates per story it consists of.

Show original message
  • 402 messages
  • January 06, 2011 22:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews
In my own database I also keep track of the (real) number of pages, and the number of plates per story. Definitely an option to add.
Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • January 16, 2011 22:46
added
prices
January 16, 2011 22:46

On 27-08-2010 René writes about this: perhaps the following week (after the next week that Marco is not there). That would be mid-September.

It is now 4 months later, and there is still no field for the number of pages per book and the number of plates per story. Or the number of strips for stories in oblong format.

I would like to go through my comic collection to possibly. to correct errors and please enter this information immediately.

Why does it take so long for this to be possible?

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • January 17, 2011 12:58
added
prices
reviews

Now, after all these months, let's get down to business.

The conclusion is: everyone is happy when a few boxes are added.

Since we all do the work of importing together, no bad faces can be drawn here.

So: - add a field for the number of pages as stated in the book.

- one field per story with the number of plates per story.

- a field for the weight of the book

- a field for the measurements of the book in the order height x depth x

thickness.

With regard to the latter field: the thickness is important for the shopkeepers in addition to the weight. sending items and calculating the postage smoothly.

For the bookcase, the height is the most important (and usually also the largest) measure. In general, the largest size is listed first, as the most decisive.

In addition, the volume of a series of books can then be calculated. When the Excel conversion is done (also a promise of the programmers), it can be done with the push of a button. This is also useful when moving or buying a new bookcase.

So everyone is happy with just adding four fields.

So do it as soon as possible!

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • January 17, 2011 13:49
added
prices
reviews

It has now been 4 months, and still no field for the number of pages per book and the number of plates per story.

You are absolutely right. Sorry for the delay. We have added the field "Number of pages" with these instructions:

The number of pages in accordance with the page numbering in the strip. This number must therefore be equal to the numbering of the last numbered page in the relevant book. If the pages are not numbered, the actual number of pages must be entered here (cover not count).

Number of plates per story is valuable information. We will work on that.

Show original message
  • 65 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:01
added
prices

This number must therefore be equal to the numbering of the last numbered page in the relevant book.

How strict do you have to adhere to this? Our edition Skim 1397159 is numbered up to and including 141, but then the closing comic page follows, which is not numbered because the drawing continues at the bottom.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Either we stick to it strictly, or the field makes no sense at all. (I'm still laughing at those manga pockets that often stop numbering dozens of pages before the end of the book for the same reason that you mention, I now change my mind). That a story in the case of Skim continues 1 page is later shown by the number of plates per story. That is my opinion, but I still approve everything that it says, because it is information that cannot be verified by administrators.

Even though I am not going to use the private field, I would have preferred that all pages of the book block count as in the Books section. You will never have a discussion and books without numbered pages can be treated identically, but yes, you cannot always get your way.

Show original message
  • 65 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:12
added
prices

Skim has 138 records and starts on p. 5 (although page numbering doesn't start until 8). The plates themselves are unnumbered. I don't care, just tell me how you want it.

Show original message
  • 246 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The field with number of pages is now visible, so now you can enter the number of pages.

Mvg, ivo

Show original message
  • 65 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:42
added
prices

Counting the number of pages in the book block is also not foolproof, because some publishers are in the habit of including the endpapers in the numbering of hardcovers (and importers will therefore do the same). I have even seen that soft covers count the cover (although I will not come to an example).

Incidentally, it is a bibliographic custom for books to indeed count the last numbered page (without the subsequent blank pages and "filling" with, for example, advertisements for other books from the publisher), but also there it regularly goes wrong because older editions sometimes have a roman numbered introduction or because unnumbered illustration pages are pasted in. A 100% consistent annotation is therefore not possible.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • January 17, 2011 17:44
added
prices
reviews

How strict should you adhere to this? Our edition Skim 1397159 is numbered up to and including 141, but after that follows the closing comic page which is not numbered because the drawing continues at the bottom .

So fill in 141. There is something to be said for both systems, but as indicated by several people in this thread, looking at the numbering in the book is the most clear and reduces the chance of incorrect entries.

The number of plates can later be entered in the stories per story. We will see if we can add that tomorrow.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 17, 2011 18:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A 100% consistent annotation is therefore not possible.

I don't like fields without 100% consistent annotation. (;-)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • January 17, 2011 18:27
I myself would have preferred - although I'm not going to use the private field - that all pages of the book block count as in the Books section. You will never have a discussion and books without numbered pages can then be treated identically

I totally agree.
That is the least complicated, and also easy to explain.

Counting the number of pages in the book block is also not foolproof, because some publishers have the habit of including the endpapers in the numbering of hardcovers

As far as I am concerned, you always count those endpapers.
That gives the least confusion.
Just count everything that is between the covers.
You also don't need ifs and buts in your explanation.
Keep it simple.

The number of plates can soon be entered in the stories per story. We will see if we can add that tomorrow.

I think that's another reason to just add everything to the number of pages.
You can find the number of comic pages in the stories themselves.

What is and is not numbered on the pages is actually the least interesting to know.

Show original message
  • 49 messages
  • January 17, 2011 19:03
added

I totally agree with Arco and Arwin: be sensible and make the completion instructions so that all pages between the covers count. That is a 100% consistent method, and I agree with Arco that it is the most important.

Suppose a series is always 32 pages (like most Classics), but in some cases there is no number on the last page (e.g. because of a special drawing, advertisement or whatever). Am I going to put 31 there? This not only seems unnecessarily complicated to me, but also extremely confusing. I also understand that in the section 'books' the number of pages between the covers is also specified. I don't see any reason why that fact should be viewed differently in comics.

If you change this now, it will be before many values have been entered (fortunately it is probably the same in 90% of the cases, but still ...).

Greetings,

Tom

Show original message
  • 246 messages
  • January 17, 2011 19:05
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I fully agree with this.

Mvg, Ivo