11of 11
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 66 messages
  • August 23, 2010 21:04
added
prices
reviews

I have been bothered by my input disappearing for a long time. I mean after the last button of the entry is clicked, the item is not immediately placed in the catalog. I now often see a tab with the text: “http: //www.c…log/new_item”, linked to a blank page, which never disappears. My complete entry has now disappeared / lost. Even after ten re-entries, it is not always possible to get an item in the catalog, and that message will always appear. Now entering "a single item" is already a time consuming job, but I still have tens of thousands of items to enter. If I have to multiply this by ten attempts for each item, the fun is over for me. Then my life is no longer sufficient to enter everything.

Is it a timeout error? The site may not be able to handle much? My internet connection is working fine anyway.

Are more people affected by this?

Curious about your reactions. There must be something to do about Hioer!

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • August 23, 2010 21:16
added
prices
reviews

That's annoying! it doesn't bother me, it always goes well with me. Perhaps Marco or Rene has an answer to this ...

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • August 23, 2010 21:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Lately it has been less bothering me, but it remains difficult (sometimes I get a message that the image is not the right size and if I try again everything is ok).

If something goes wrong, your full input is gone. That is not nice if you have just typed a lot of details. Perhaps it is possible that if something goes wrong, your input will be retained and you can make the same thing again.

What I also noticed is that there is something wrong with the mouseover. Mouseover "cancel" without clicking = (sometimes) cancel.

Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • August 23, 2010 21:46
added
prices
reviews

Hmm now I also have the same problem as Treasure Digger, but never had this before ...

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • August 23, 2010 21:49
added
prices
reviews

That's not so good. We will of course have a look at it.

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • August 23, 2010 22:41
added
prices
reviews

Scam's suggestion strikes me as excellent. Can't we “freeze” or “lock” the input? Then at least the laborious typing is retained after entering, even if things go wrong afterwards.

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 24, 2010 09:06
reviews

Treasure Hunter: I've been bothered by my input disappearing for a long time. I mean after the last button of the entry is clicked, the item is not immediately placed in the catalog. I often see a tab with the text: “ http: //www.c…log / new_item ”, linked to a blank page, so it never disappears.

Obviously, that's not the way it should be. I will contact you to see what exactly is happening and to see which operating system / browser you are using.

Treasure hunter: The site may not be able to process much?

That is not the case. There are of course times when the site is busier than usual, but the servers can handle that just fine.

Scam: What I also noticed is that there is something wrong with the mouseover. Mouseover "cancel" without clicking = (sometimes) cancel.

Strange. Let's take a look.

Scam: Perhaps it is possible that if something goes wrong, your input will be retained and you can bring in the same again. / Treasure hunter: Scam's suggestion seems excellent to me. Can't we “freeze” or “lock” the input?

That's how it works. For example, if you forget a required field, or enter an image that cannot be read, you should receive an error message and you can try again. Apparently something else is going on in the situations described earlier.

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 26, 2010 12:27
reviews

Treasure Hunter: I've been bothered by my input disappearing for a long time. I mean after the last button of the entry is clicked, the item is not immediately placed in the catalog. I often see a tab with the text: “ http: //www.c…log / new_item ”, linked to a blank page, so it never disappears.

Update: I have now been in contact with Treasure Digger. Most of the items he posted on Catawiki contained three very large images. In some cases, he ran into the limit that you cannot upload more than 15 Mb in total of images. In that case, you will indeed lose the data you entered. We need to solve that better.

What is good to know is that Catawiki automatically resizes images to max 1000 × 1000 pixels if necessary. That means that an image of about 5 Mb is reduced to about 800 Kb.

I asked Treasure Digger to supply the image smaller (max. 1000 × 1000) and it works well in 9 out of 10 cases. Even though this is an extra operation, it makes entering a lot faster. Just consider whether you are sending 15 Mb of images to Catawiki or 2.4 Mb. Even though you have a fast Internet connection, uploading is always much slower than downloading.

From time to time things still go wrong with him and we will investigate exactly what it means

Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • August 26, 2010 14:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What is good to know is that Catawiki automatically resizes images to max 1000 × 1000 pixels if necessary.

According to all input instructions known to me, oversized images are reduced to max. 700 × 700 pixels.
If that is not (anymore) true, the input instructions must be adjusted as soon as possible to prevent 'scanners' from reducing their scans further than necessary.

My experience is that, apart from the faster upload, scaling images yourself (and sharpening them if necessary) yields much better results than the algorithm that Catawiki uses.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • August 26, 2010 17:51
added
prices
reviews

The site uses 700 × 700 pixels. For the printed books that you can order from your collection, we reduce to 1000 × 1000 pixels. So we make several automatic resizing of the picture (also a small one for the showcase view).

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • August 27, 2010 16:22
added
prices
reviews

Things are much better now. With a scan resolution of 150 instead of 300 dpi, the image becomes 950 × 1500, so that hardly anything is lost when reducing to 1000 × 1000. I keep it at 150 dpi, also because scanning is twice as fast and I always enter 3 scans by default.

Do I still have a comment about "locking". What Marco says is true, so that there is "locked" after an incorrect entry.
But now it is about “locking” after a correct input. Then apparently in a data overflow (or other stream-related problem) the information can indeed disappear.

I would like to save the complete input data for an item before sending it, but that is not possible. That's what I actually mean by “locking”.

Show original message
11of 11