7of 7
  • 429 messages
  • August 19, 2010 20:23
added
prices

I have expressed my displeasure with the pottery section several times, because a number of collectors don't seem to understand how much information you can get from marks and signings.
And so time and again fails to take pictures of the signing and the brand.

Now I see that also in other categories such as miniature cars and the like the underside is not photographed.

I'm not a Dinky Toys collector, but I would love it if I were to see the name and type.
Is this also experienced as a problem with other categories and collectors or are they satisfied with the type and quantity of photos?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,404 messages
  • August 19, 2010 21:19
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The name and type number is usually already in the information you enter.

And I saw your post in Pottery too, and you must remember that not everyone visits the forum, judging by the (19) posts.

If I were you I would think before you disapprove everything where someone has not photographed the bottom. As long as the information entered is comprehensive, I would not disapprove. Pictures can always be added by others.
(edit, I mean pictures of the bottom, as pictures / images always have to be entered)

VAT,
just my opinion

Show original message
  • 36 messages
  • August 19, 2010 23:03
added
prices
reviews

It is not a problem if the bottom of the model cars is not in the photo. This information such as scale, type, serial number
is also indicated in the information box of the relevant item. It would then only count as a check. Or to see if the exhaust is detailed :)

Personally, I prefer to see beautiful photos from different angles of the model or with the hood open, for example. Preferably with a white background, to keep everything nice and clear.

To reject an item in the absence of a photo of a bottom, I think it goes a bit too far. You can't force collectors to take their 200-year-old vase by the handles and turn it upside down, or tear the car out of the original box for a photo. Catawiki is a catalog that can be supplemented by all collectors at any time. So sometimes you have to be patient until a second or third collector also has that item and is willing to do so.
I sometimes make it a sport to find out the manufacturer, serial number, scale and year of issue from a photo. It takes a lot of time but very educational to expand my knowledge of the model car field.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 19, 2010 23:13

There is hardly any explanation in the input fields of pottery.
Then it is not so strange that people “just do something”
Most of them do not look at the forum.

Apart from that, I also think that mentioning a serial number / brand, etc. Then I don't need to have a photo as proof if necessary.
I can imagine that it is slightly different with pottery, because you sometimes have brands there that not everyone recognizes.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • August 19, 2010 23:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What bothers me the most is the absence of a Year (on which the item was created / published). In most sections this is the criterion on which the presentation on Catawiki is done.

In some cases it is impossible to find out (with the car models this is sometimes impossible, I tried but in vain), but in many cases it is just laziness.

Then you get a list with 15 pages at the back "Unknown". This is a problem especially with comics.

PS I still have some miniature cars, I enter on occasion, but that competition with pennies is highly unfair!

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 20, 2010 00:52
added
prices

I agree with you Scam. I also think it has to do with laziness and the lack of motivation to really figure things out.

Anyway, it will also have to do with getting used to Catawiki and inadequate expertise.

Since Catawiki I have never dug into it so deeply to find out data.

Just to you Arwin:

Indeed, it is a bit different with pottery. Signing, marks, etc. in pottery are often necessary to date an object. For example, Gouda South Holland has all kinds of signs, monograms of designers, set painters.

If users fill in incorrect details and then also do not include a photo of the bottom, you can never add extra information if you know a little more about the object.

On the other hand, of course, the above also applies to other sections.

If a user of Dinky toys, for example, only posts a photo of an item and then does not fill in anything else, an expert in this field may not be able to add anything, because he does not know a serial number and therefore misses the photo of the bottom .

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 20, 2010 05:16

Well, I understand your problem, but this is something difficult to implement with a wiki-based catalog.

An additional problem is that in the future we will have a tableware section, among other things.
That section will then also fill the pottery section.

The figurines (where I am the manager) also contain pottery.
But with the figurines / figures section, this kind of brand images are also not mandatory.
You can enter the manufacturer and the designer, and I think that's enough for that section, in most cases.
I assume that if you do not know something, you do not enter anything in those fields.
An expert could then, when he recognizes the image, still add or correct that information.
That is the idea behind a catalog like Catawiki.
I think it will work that way with the Dinky toys.

I will adjust the explanation text for the images, and make a request to use the third and possibly the second image for pottery marks and monograms.
But I will not go further than a request.

What we can still do is provide an overview of signings and brands in the future wikipedia section of Catawiki.
I don't know if there is already an online database of it somewhere? What you can do yourself as an administrator is to put images of signings, in the administrator section, with the right designers.

I also added something similar with the icons of the magic sets.
Then you get this
In the case of pottery, the identification mark is placed in front of the name of the designer.
At least that could be a support.
But that obviously doesn't help lazy importers.
That simply remains a problem at Catawiki.

Show original message
7of 7