7of 7
  • 2 messages
  • August 16, 2010 11:43
August 16, 2010 11:43

Hello,
I think Catawiki is a wonderful invention, is it possible to add a shipping item?
You can then split this item into groups, merchant shipping, towage, inland shipping, fishing, shipbuilding, etc.

Sincerely,
Ap

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 16, 2010 12:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That would then become a theme section.
This is still being worked on.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • August 16, 2010 12:25
August 16, 2010 12:25

okay, if it comes to that I'll make sure it gets full

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,403 messages
  • August 16, 2010 13:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You can already start to put the books with the books, the postcards with the postcards, etc.

It would be nice if at some point all similarly named themes (eg shipping) would end up in a traffic jam across all collection areas, so that we can see all shipping items together again.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • August 16, 2010 14:57
added

Jilles,

It would indeed be useful if you could see it as “whole”, but also by category.

For example, I have nothing to do with ships as such but I would like to be able to see all shipping stamps.
this of course works both ways :)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 16, 2010 17:44

It would be nice if at some point all similarly named themes (eg shipping) would end up in a traffic jam across all collection areas, so that we can see all shipping items together again.

That's definitely going to happen (someday)
Presumably, “shipping” will be included as a sub-category, within the theme category “transport” which is yet to be made Aviation is therefore included as a theme section, but also cars, trains, bicycles, etc.
Anyway, that's all with an emphasis on presumably.

It would indeed be useful if you could see it as “whole”, but also by category.

By definition, theme sections only contain items that are in other “normal” sections.
Theme sections do not have their own items, but we sort items that have been placed elsewhere in the catalog by theme.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • August 16, 2010 19:21
added
prices
reviews

For example, I have nothing with ships per se, but I would like to see all shipping stamps.

This has been worked out reasonably for the stamps of the Netherlands and Western Europe. Here the theme is Ships, and often further detailing by themes such as fishing vessels, passenger ships, etc.
The theme Shipping is of course a bit broader, you could also include a theme such as anchors (this is a theme with the postage stamps), a container terminal, a signal flag and a marine training school. It immediately becomes apparent how difficult that is, because everyone has their own criteria for this…

I think the problem lies mainly with "theme". In philately we know "motives" and "themes". A motif is clear, a monkey, a ship or a car on a stamp. The term "theme" is much broader, it is actually the story about a subject. And then it just depends on how broad you want to make that story. In other words: The motif Cars are just cars, the theme cars can also be a stamp with Henry Ford, a gas station or a stamp with a car factory.

Show original message
7of 7