14of 14
  • 429 messages
  • August 12, 2010 14:05
added
prices

Would it be possible to protect the photos from downloads in the short term?
Now you can save photos freely. This does not seem desirable to me for several reasons.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • August 12, 2010 14:13
added
prices
info pages

Can you name a few reasons?

It is almost impossible to prevent the copying of images.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 12, 2010 14:15

Since you can always take screenshots, total protection is not possible.

Whatever protection you come up with, it can always be circumvented.
The “C” that appears on all images protects Catawiki in any case against those who would like to copy the site in its entirety.

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 12, 2010 14:59
added
prices

I am aware of the fact that it is not waterproof, but I do not like it when random visitors can download my photos without barriers and edit them or use or abuse them as they please. So it is about protection against the malicious ones among us. Unfortunately, there are many on the Internet.
Ebay, Marktplaats and a little site that matters in this area protects his photos.
Especially when it comes to reasonably unique pieces, it is nice if that photo cannot be downloaded just like that and can end on another site. I also think that Catawiki should keep as much control as possible over its database and not make it accessible without any barrier whatsoever.

I quote ": The" C "on all images, in any case, protect Catawiki against those who would like to copy the site in its entirety. With Photoshop I get rid of that C in no time. but relative to me.

By the way, I have to figure that out for my own site as well.

Could I otherwise put a watermark on my photos?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 12, 2010 15:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You can, but then we don't want those photos on Catawiki ... The chicken and the egg, actually ... (;-)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 12, 2010 15:26

Could I otherwise put a watermark on my photos?

None visible in any case.
I don't know whether an invisible watermark will be included after placement.

Ebay, Marktplaats and a little site that matters in this area protects his photos.

Ebay does not have any protection worth mentioning.
Marktplaats is a bit better, but it is also not much

With Photoshop I get rid of that C in no time. So that copyright protection is only relative to me.

As long as the c is not over the item itself, you can.
But to do that for all items is too much work for people who want to quickly copy the site.

Deleting something with Photoshop is probably more work than just taking a screenshot.
Although both are thresholds, they only require a little effort.

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 12, 2010 15:37
added
prices

thanks for the response. The question is whether the above argument "little effort" justifies the conclusion, in order not to do any protection at all.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 12, 2010 15:40

I'm not going to hear about it.
I am only expressing my personal opinion.
So no conclusions are drawn.

The fact that I don't get excited about it is because it makes it harder for me to edit items I can, but it costs me an extra effort.
I will also no longer be able to post a picture from Catawiki on the forum.

If there were good protection in return…
But that is not the case (I think)

Maybe Marco can say something about this.
It will be about it.

Show original message
  • 7 messages
  • August 12, 2010 16:10
added
August 12, 2010 16:10

Hi,

Saw you talk about photo protection. What Arwin says is indeed correct. You have them off in no time, even if there is a script on the page to prevent the photos from being saved to the computer. A simple print screen is enough and nothing can stop that… unfortunately.
C on the coin is sooooo annoying. And I like that about this site, that you can clearly see the coin.

Maybe becoming a member, logging in and then seeing photos is an option?
Small selection of the entire collection for people who don't want to log in, so they want to see more and still log in.?

Is just an idea.

Greetings,
Coin33

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 12, 2010 16:57
added
prices

Thank you all for the comments.

Dear Arwin

I understand your problem.
It is of course a difficult story from a technical point of view. I have no insight into that. It should not be the case that your work is hindered by security. Then you will go from rain to drip.

Munje: Is it true that if you do print screen, you have an editable jpeg?
Then security is of course not feasible

Point tasks.

By the way, I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to express my enthusiasm at Catawiki. I understood that you were nominated for an internet price?

Definitely deserved

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 12, 2010 17:01
reviews

artdecorations: Thanks for the response. The question is whether the above argument "little effort" justifies the conclusion, in order not to do any protection at all.

In the beginning, we looked at the shielding of photos in the way, for example, Marktplaats protects photos. All these techniques are based on the use of Javascript. All you have to do as a user is turn off Javascript and you can access the photos. We thought that was too easy a protection. And if you don't know that truck, you can just take a screenshot, as Arwin and Boekenmagazijn describe.

That is why we have chosen the watermark at the bottom right. We did that in a subtle way so that you can still view the photos properly. We think this is important because Catawiki is a catalog.

And indeed you can remove the watermark, but that is also a small effort that you have to make. This effort is greater than with the previously mentioned protections.

Muntje33: Maybe becoming a member, logging in and then seeing photos is an option?

We thought about this for a while. However, Catawiki becomes very boring if you can't see photos :-)

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 12, 2010 17:04
reviews

Artdecorations By the way, I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to express my enthusiasm at Catawiki. I understood that you were nominated for an internet price?

Looks like we were typing a response at the same time :-)

Thank you! We have indeed been nominated several times for an Internet prize. A.o. at the Accenture Innovation Awards (there we were among the best 5 web concepts), at the Broos van Erpprijs (there we were among the last three) and in Belgium we won the Netties award.

Artdecorations: Is it true that if you do print screen, you have an editable jpeg?

Yes, because jpegs are always editable.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • August 12, 2010 17:24

Try it differently.

You can take a screenshot with your PC as follows.

Key “Alt” + “Print screen”
Open Windows paint.
Enter “Ctrl” + “v”

On a Mac there is a special program (called "screenshot") to take screenshots, so it is completely simple there.

Show original message
  • 7 messages
  • August 12, 2010 17:58
added
August 12, 2010 17:58

Hi Marco,

That's why I also thought of a selection of the collection visible to everyone. So not everything immediately visible without logging in. Just say 50 percent visible. The “special” items only after logging in.
In this way you have at least a filter and you immediately know how many people are really interested in the collections. These are then natural persons, as they must confirm the e-mail.

Greetings,
Coin33

Show original message
14of 14