11of 11
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 66 messages
  • May 18, 2010 07:10
added
prices
reviews

I propose to add one or two extra fields to the collection areas and items that lend themselves to this, for the history of a certain object and possibly a resolution.

For example, in the case of an Edison phonograph where it was made, the first year of manufacture and other information, such as operation, construction, a photo of the instructions, etc. Many objects are associated with curious facts and stories, which are also very interesting for non-collectors can be. The site can then grow into a Wikipedia of all collectibles. A collector often likes it best when he can tell something about his collection or items from it!
Oh yes, it is of course important for many collectors to know what the circulation or production number is. After all, that largely determines the rarity and therefore the value!

The Belgian site stripinfo.be, on which I entered my comics collection, offers the possibility to add reviews to the comics. Nowadays they are not used overwhelmingly, but the resensions are of high quality because they are generally written by real enthusiasts and therefore have a high added value. This could also apply to sound carriers.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,272 messages
  • May 18, 2010 10:57
added
prices
reviews

Both wishes are on our ToDo list (reviews and background info). Unfortunately not got around yet.

The intention is to offer the background information pages per collection area (as wiki pages), so for example at Philips or at Gramophones and not per object.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • May 22, 2010 22:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I think this is an important point after all.
Catawiki contains an enormous amount of "raw" data and more could be done with it.
You will never be able to compete with Wikipedia on (correct or incorrect) details, but you have to look at it from the collector's point of view (Wikipedia doesn't).

Some examples:

Sus en Wis: Brabant Strip compiled a very interesting overview of this a few years ago. In the meantime, Catawiki has several additions to it. Why not make current overviews of the "top" series?

Calculators:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/collect.htm
something similar (for any category) is an "eye catcher"

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • May 25, 2010 10:12
added
prices
reviews

I'm a fanatic opponent of adding reviews and historical data to a catalog. It is and will remain a catalog and not IMDB or anything like that. What someone thinks of something, he / she should put it on another site.
If you start with reviews, you get "war" because everyone thinks something different about a comic or book and then the end is lost.
Please don't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never not.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • May 25, 2010 16:20

The wiki info and reviews are on separate pages, not with the items themselves.
The catalog itself remains a catalog only.
If you don't want to see the additional pages, you don't have to see them.

Incidentally, there is a lot of demand for these types of pages.

Show original message
  • 66 messages
  • May 25, 2010 19:08
added
prices
reviews

Morits should take a look at stripinfo.be. Almost all resensions are of very high quality. Often written by die-hard fans, nevertheless sober and neutral.
The historical facts and interesting facts are certainly not subject to erratic opinions.

Moreover, this site pretends to be reminiscent of Wikipedia by its name. And that is pre-eminently a site that, in addition to data, also contains opinions and interpretations.

It is simply very interesting to see not only a picture with a price, but also a few sentences with the essence of the collector's item.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • May 25, 2010 21:12
added
prices
reviews

I don't have to check what someone else thinks of something. It is and remains an opinion and it is never mine, and with me many others ...

Show original message
  • 151 messages
  • May 25, 2010 21:36
added
prices

I totally agree with Treasure Digger. Are often reviews that have already made me decide to buy that album or at least have a good look at it myself.

It's just like reading the newspaper, a journalist writes something and what I think about it is up to me.
An opinion is formed by so many factors, just ask a commercial guy.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • May 25, 2010 23:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Two things are mixed up here I think.

"Reviews" and "Collector Info".

If the extra wiki info were to be added (and I hope so very much) they should stay separate. They are both valuable but have nothing to do with each other.

"Rikki and Wiske" and "Tintin in Congo" are real dragons of comics, but they are THE collector's items.

Whether you think a comic (or something else) is good or bad is nice to know but very subjective (I would like to say something about "literary books" here, but don't do it anyway).

Show original message
  • 1,756 messages
  • May 27, 2010 10:54
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I have already argued elsewhere not to use terms such as literary and pulp as (part of) item characteristics because they are not unambiguously or objectively measurable.

Collector info can be added in the field. That will undoubtedly become a searchable field in the future.

Furthermore, I disagree with Morits that no one ever agrees with him because I share his opinion that everyone has their own opinion.

Subjective reviews should not be part of a catalog database

Show original message
  • 800 messages
  • June 07, 2010 22:08
added
prices
info pages

I never rely on someone else's review, everyone has their own opinion. And you still know specific things about an item in the details and your own opinion in your own collection. And indeed should not be in the catalog, now there are no personal opinions, etc.

Show original message
11of 11