19of 19
  • 630 messages
  • October 10, 2020 13:32
added
prices

In respect of the existing possibility with regard to field Details (and basic manual).

Field: translator (-s).
short motivation: not everyone fills in the translator for a translated work & gt; field specifics.

Even though a translator can be seen as an author (a form of derivative of an existing work), does this exist as? & gt; is not an author as well. (don't want to start an extensive discussion about this). (also has legal aspects eg copyrights etc ..)

2nd point, identification depending on various circumstances 'happened' to an object (including damage, missing parts, etc.) but also editions of 1 object with various revisions (reason ..). aka 'object recognition. (the 'condition' of a publication not always also determines the collector's wish).
I will leave it otherwise I am afraid of a big discussion (would like, but seems to be sufficiently defined).

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 10, 2020 13:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes, translator is on the wish list at Books and Comics. And with Strips also a colourer.

Show original message
  • 630 messages
  • October 10, 2020 14:33
added
prices

Thank you, which was also useful for Booking

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 10, 2020 15:52
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Books sometimes mention an illustrator while that only concerns the dust jacket and the book otherwise only contains text. It might be going a bit far to break that down again, but does anyone have an idea how to make that clearer?

Incidentally, sometimes the designer of the cover is also mentioned as an illustrator, while he actually only combined a picture with the title in a certain font.

I believe this was discussed many years ago. It might be solved by adding one extra field for all secondary contributors (translators, editors, compilers, preface writers, designers, colorists, letterers, etc.) in addition to the fields for primary authors and illustrators.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 10, 2020 16:21
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes, that idea is still relevant, you know.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 10, 2020 16:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic pins: In case of only an "illustration" dust jacket, I will put "no illustrations in the book" for details. It also happens that there is talk of the draftsman dust jacket and another illustrator in the book. (In reprints of old youth editions to obscure the old-fashioned, for example) It is indeed wrong to characterize a designer as an illustrator. It goes without saying for the ultimate book lover to see or enter all the details, but I fear that will not work. There are so many that half are often not filled in. And who will supplement the existing shortcomings? Finally, it is also the case, the more is filled in without a photo / scan with all that on it, uncontrollable and / or more work for administrators.

Show original message
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 10, 2020 17:16
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It is not my concern that everyone fills in all the details completely, that is an illusion.

But if you want to enter data, you should not be forced to use a field that is not intended for it.

As far as I am concerned, the draftsman of the dust jacket does not belong in the Illustrator field if he has not also provided the drawings inside, just as the author of a preface is not an Author if he has not also written the rest of the book.

It might be clearer if the authors and illustrators can be entered in the Books section as is customary for Comics, i.e. based on "Stories in this book", where you can link the names to different parts.

Show original message
  • 630 messages
  • October 10, 2020 17:44
added
prices

Can follow it all the way @ stripspeldjes and agree with you, but it doesn't have to be a mandatory field, right?

And the last comment above? Wouldn't it be a good alternative? (in shape).

They remain suggestions, and illusions (especially as an administrator) I can enter .. I also prefer to see an image that has had respective cropping (to rectangle for example) than a trapezium ....

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 10, 2020 17:58
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic Pins: I don't think you should compare comic books with "books" in the sense of illustrators. The omission of an illustrator of a dust jacket (for 99% of the collectors precisely of importance and value) in the illustrator field, in case there are no further illustrations in a book, and moving that illustrator to the field at the most is, as far as I am concerned, acc. Unless you mean that there will also be a field for illustrator dust jacket. But yes, I am a book freak ....

Show original message
  • 4,317 messages
  • October 10, 2020 18:24
added
prices
info pages

Wrong thread.

Show original message
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 10, 2020 18:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, Harry, I meant that the dust jacket illustrator belongs in a field "Secondary contributor (s)". (Or indeed a field of its own, but then the end is really lost.)

And I don't compare them with cartoonists, I just compare the different ways of input in both sections. Because artists and screenwriters are entered at the very bottom of Comics, at "Stories in this album", you can link different artists to different parts of the comic book or comic magazine. This is not possible with Books now.

Show original message
  • 2,418 messages
  • October 10, 2020 19:45
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, Harry, I meant that the dust jacket illustrator belongs in a field "Secondary contributor (s)". (Or indeed a field of its own, but then the end is really lost.)

Why should the draftsman have to move from the dust jacket to the secondary worker field. In many books without illustrations, the cover draftsman is often referred to as an illustrator. You can also provide this information with details.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 10, 2020 20:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic Pins and Jilles,

You are administrators so we have to take that into account as well. But do I understand correctly that you both, for different reasons, prefer that books without illustrations (with only an illustration on the front cover and/or dust jacket) do not fill the illustrator field? . And so at most a mention in the details? And a book with 1 illustration then (also often occurs only next to a title page) Where is the limit? In case 1 illustration in a book qualifies, why not an illustration dust jacket/front cover?

The KB ( worldwide) has also built up its collection around books without dust jackets, logically not everything can be found with .... But they often lack information. It would be a shame if LD now changes the input criteria.

As an aside, a nice treatise on the dust jacket clipped from Wikipedia:

Besides beautiful bibliophile editions, the well-known book collector Jhr. MR Radermacher Schorer many books that are particularly important because of the dust jackets by designers such as Paul Schuitema and Piet Zwart (see, for example, Zwart's covers for the ten-volume series Monographs on Film Art Series ). This lover of beautiful books, however, let these covers disappear in the trash. [source?] A true book collector cannot tolerate this act. Yet Radermacher Schorer is not alone in his aversion to dust jackets. In 1946, the typographer Jan Tschichold (1902-1974) published an essay entitled Buchkunst und Graphik . At the end of this essay he says that a dust jacket does not belong to a book. The opinion that dust jackets are indeed part of a book is shared by almost everyone. An example is the work of the Berlin antiquarian Jürgen Holstein. In 2003 he published a wonderful monograph on Georg Salter , who designed hundreds of bindings and dust jackets. This monograph was followed two years later by the enormously thick book Blickfang . It depicts hundreds of dust jackets and bindings from Berlin publishers from the period 1919-1933.

Show original message
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 10, 2020 20:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I'm not a manager of Books, so my opinion here has as much value as yours or anyone else's. I do have ideas about how a catalog should be put together, so I'm also involved in improvements in other sections, but I'm happy to be convinced of a different point of view if it benefits the usability of the catalog. And I am realistic enough to realize that my point of view does not apply to everyone, regardless of the arguments.

Why should the draftsman of the dust jacket have to go to the secondary assistant field. In many books without illustrations, the artist of the cover is often referred to as an illustrator. You can also add this information to details.

A book may have an illustrated dust jacket, or an illustrated binding or front cover, but that does not make it an illustrated book. For me, the illustrator is only the one who has provided the content, the story, with drawings. Otherwise, he/she is the designer of the dust jacket, binding or front cover.

You can enter all information under Details, but I am concerned with the question of what exactly is the definition of the fields on which you can select and sort.
Is a photographer whose photos are used in a book automatically the Illustrator?
Are all the artists whose paintings appear in a survey work also Illustrators of that book?
If Thé Tjong-Khing retells fairy tales , is he then the Author or an arranger?
Is AL Snijders the Author of the Netherlands reads the most beautiful short stories or just a compiler?
If Hans Dorrestijn writes a foreword to Herman Finkers , does that make him a co-author?
And why would a translator earn less credit? Or even more, with your own input field?
The answers are not the same for every situation, but it should be clear to everyone which line this catalog follows, and why.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 10, 2020 21:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic pins, isn't it a good discussion? It seems nice to LD that there are ideas for improving the catalog. I reacted in particular because I got the impression that illustrators of covers and dust jackets are of less importance and are pushed away to "details". Then we will never find the Hans Borrebachen, Rein van Looys etc. again. Yes, unless they have also provided a book with some illustrations. Speaking of meddling, I meddle with something like that .........

Show original message
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 10, 2020 21:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic pins, isn't it a good discussion?

Yep, I'm having a great time :-)

Show original message
  • 2,418 messages
  • October 11, 2020 13:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Harry For the time being I am not in favor of the Stripspeldjes proposal, but if - as with comics - 1 database is added, in which both the author, illustrator and secondaries are placed, it is no problem for me.

I would not want information about the cover illustrations of Hans G. Kresse (Arena editions, De Vijf etc) to be lost, but that is not the intention of Stripspeldjes either.

As an administrator (including books) I would not welcome an extra database.

Show original message
  • 2,180 messages
  • October 11, 2020 14:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If - as with comics - there is 1 database, in which both the author, illustrator and secondaries are placed, it is no problem for me.

Obviously, all personal names must be in one list (table), preferably even for the entire catalog. That is precisely the great strength of a relational database, that all individual pieces of information only have to appear once and that you can then combine and link them indefinitely.

But I understand from Arco that this is not yet on the program in the Book section.

Show original message
  • 630 messages
  • October 11, 2020 16:39
added
prices

What a suggestion already leads to. In any case, this will give you a better view (if you filter),
everyone thinks, experiences and experiences, as it were.
It has become a longer discussion after all.
I am not going to grieve when things are not possible (or is / will be).
Time will tell.

In short (it turns out), it is not entirely a 'mgl. convenience 'for a user, but also an obstacle for an administrator. And finding the right middle way in this is and remains difficult (keep silent about the technical side).

I hope that the discussion will not abate, but in any case I would like to thank myself for the various views. They are therefore very valuable in themselves.
Had to post it anyway.

Show original message
19of 19