Go to page
25of 43
  • 8 messages
  • September 20, 2009 14:38
prices
September 20, 2009 14:38

It has always been stated that Catawiki is free and will always remain free; a pity that this is not the case for our own catalog either. The owners of the site do not own the images, nor the intellectual owner of the content, nor the layout of my own collection that I have entered myself. How can you explain the fact that I cannot print my own catalog to pdf? This option has been intentionally blocked to oblige collectors to pay for it. Too bad but unfortunately, hopefully several collectors will see what is going on here and we can, by responding together, change this.
Gert Beckers
Belgium

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • September 20, 2009 15:34
added
prices
reviews

Dear Gert,
It is indeed a pity that you do not appreciate our new functionality with which you can order a beautiful book from your collection.
All basic functions are and will remain free. You don't have to worry about that. Because it obviously costs money to keep the site up and running, we are looking for additional services that can cover the costs and that are also interesting for the user. Being able to order a book is one of them. Of course we cannot offer that for free either.
It is in no way obligatory to make use of this. So you are by no means going to lose out.
You can only order a book from your collection yourself, someone else cannot.
best regards,
René Schoenmakers

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,418 messages
  • September 20, 2009 19:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I support the option to have your own catalog printed and I am quite willing to pay for it. If you don't want that, creating your own catalog in “word” might be an option.

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • September 20, 2009 21:19
added
prices

believed catawiki received fees from bol?
and other advertising stuff
a real book has to be paid for - after all, printing costs money
but a pdf file for yourself from your own catalog should be free, I think

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • September 20, 2009 22:00
added
prices
reviews

Hi Puurveensboekshop,
We also try to generate income with advertisements, including from bol.com, but that is not going very fast.
Having a book in an edition of 1 (“on demand”) professionally printed in full color is not that easy. It was quite a job to make that possible from 19.95…

Show original message
  • 497 messages
  • September 23, 2009 15:45
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Folks, I think it's strange that you don't think a little further. Catawiki is just a company. Two men work full-time and they just have to support a family. The server and internet connection also cost money. Isn't it logical that there will then be options with which money has to be made? I've been using Catawiki for quite some time now and it's completely free. I am super satisfied with Catawiki and there are quite a few things I would like to pay money for.
If you make a PDF export for free, there are few people who order a nicely printed book, I think, despite the added value the book has in quality of the print, so I can follow the decision not to make PDF export available (for free).
For example, I would also pay money for an iPhone app to view Catawiki optimally.

Show original message
  • 469 messages
  • September 24, 2009 11:54
added
prices

Hmmm, it's just a shame that I can't sort by number in the book series. He now does auto by date I think, but that is all mixed up (for me then).
@ Rene
Also take a look at Google AdSense, maybe not the best, but is an idea.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • September 25, 2009 17:03
added
prices
reviews

Two men work full-time and they just have to support a family.
2 1/2 actually.

Show original message
  • 177 messages
  • September 26, 2009 22:36
added
prices
reviews

How much does it cost to print yourself?
An average large-use color ink cartridge can last about 100 prints, with a coverage of 4-5% on an A4 paper. In practice, you will soon be between 10-20% coverage on A4 with this type of printing.
Large consumption cartridge can easily cost around 35-40 €.
High-quality paper….
And no printer of 40 € can make you such quality prints.
And if you do, I think, if your collection has 2000 items or more, you can get a new one buy….
By the way, today at the comic book fair in Houten I looked at the sample albums that are there.
And they look very good.
Beautiful and very good print quality on beautiful and durable paper.
And you can choose how you want them printed too.
19.95 € is really not too much to ask!

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • September 27, 2009 12:11
prices
September 27, 2009 12:11

I actually come to the same conclusion, printing on your own printer is probably more expensive and certainly not as nice. In practice, printing also sometimes goes wrong and the theoretical number of pages per ink cartridge is almost never achieved. (and indeed you have to take a much higher coverage percentage into account).
In addition, you will have a stack of loose sheets, and not a book with a cover.

Show original message
  • 380 messages
  • September 29, 2009 12:01

removed

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • October 12, 2009 15:14
prices
October 12, 2009 15:14

Hello everyone!
I am very happy with the responses, but they ignore what I had in mind. When I want to have my collection of comics printed, I get the following message: “Note: this example consists of more than 196 pages. Unfortunately, it is not technically possible to make a cover book out of this.
This catalog can be printed loose-leaf. This setting has already been selected. ” In addition, this would cost about € 264.
Why not a "premium membership" of the site, where you pay a contribution (logically) and then also get more options, eg. print it yourself on the PDF files of your collection?
Let it be clear, this is purely for practical reasons. Who the hell wants to have a € 250 book printed that the day arrives in the mailbox is already outdated?
Greetings,
Gert Beckers - Belgium

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • October 12, 2009 15:30
prices
October 12, 2009 15:30

ok,
I have changed the layout of my book and I now come to a more manageable number.
By the way, I think it's strange that you don't think any further: someone who wants to pay for an iPhone application, is not going to pay again for every update on his phone? Don't you just apply for a subscription?

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • November 26, 2009 22:29
added
prices
reviews

I would also like it to be a choice of the user to make their own print or whether or not in book form by Catawiki. I am absolutely opposed to determining what is good for the user. If the choice is more advantageous for the user to do this via Catawiki than to do it yourself, enough people will quickly see that and you will still have the opportunity to earn some extra money. But then give him the opportunity to do it himself. I think this is a bit "scary" (we know what's good for you). Let us make our own mistakes, but give us the opportunity.

Show original message
  • 87 messages
  • January 27, 2010 23:16
added
prices

Being able to print yourself seems a must if only to be able to take an overview of 1 series such as Nero, which has a very difficult numbering, while you go shopping.
Such a print is then before intended as a temporary instrument, which you would probably also print on plain paper.
Once your collection is not constantly evolving, the online album print is a very nice alternative. But let the users who add the content themselves also decide on it.

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • April 01, 2010 18:18
added
April 01, 2010 18:18

Perhaps it would be nice to start a voluntary donation, you often have with these kinds of sides.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • August 20, 2010 15:19
August 20, 2010 15:19

I'll get involved in the discussion. In a few weeks I will travel to Houten again with a nice search list in hand. It would indeed be nice if there was the possibility to quickly create a search list with covers. I am, like most I assume, very visual and would therefore find it more pleasant to search for a certain cover instead of a certain title. Why not offer the possibility to generate a PDF with various watermarks, etc. For example, the printout is less suitable for printing your own catalog, but it is very useful for making temporary lists.

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 20, 2010 23:41
added
prices

I don't really understand this discussion.

you already have a free service, a free Shop and a free stage to get in touch with other users. The sun rises for nothing.

Now don't expect Catawiki to come up with a solution for everything. There is also such a thing as personal responsibility.

If you want to make your own list, there are countless possibilities for PC and Apple.

As an Apple user, I use Bento 3. you can create your own fields and even enter your purchase, sales and expenses. Completely adapted to your own wishes. So what more could you want.

Filemaker is also a good option.

I'm no longer familiar with Windows and PC (thank goodness), so Windows users may be able to give some ideas for Database programs here.

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • August 20, 2010 23:45
added
prices

Another Windows program comes to mind that I used to use:
Microsoft Access. Also a database program, which you can adapt to your own wishes.

Show original message
  • 36 messages
  • August 21, 2010 10:35
added
prices
reviews

I'm no longer familiar with Windows and PC (thank goodness), so Windows users may be able to give some ideas for Database programs here.

I myself use Adress 2000, a freeware program from windows.
It looks like an office excel.

It's child's play and you can even add photos to the items. after which you can put everything in the order that you want and select a part of it again as a wish or sales list.

A disadvantage is that there is no calculation function in it, but you cannot expect everything for a free program.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • August 21, 2010 13:16
added

I can agree with the fact that it is “strange”, or whatever you want to call it, when you have entered items. (read: your entire collection), that you then e.g. cannot export to an Excel format, with all the information that can also be found in the database.

The number of columns that can now be exported is simply very limited.

Regarding the development, well 2.5 people, I think much is very little for the question that arises here from the community.

As far as I am concerned, there would be an “open source / lite” version with limited functionality available, which can be expanded by means of some nice APIs or the like, let the community help build Catawiki.
Any paying visitors (to which I would also count myself) will then receive a “CataWikinerd” account, in which all functionality + extras are offered.
something of 20, - a year or something, nice amount :)

Well, I would like to know if I could help develop / program this website.

Keep up the good work!

Show original message
  • 324 messages
  • August 21, 2010 14:56
added
prices
reviews

I have put many hundreds (if not thousands) of hours into Catawiki and I am certainly not the only one. Surely there should be more elegant solutions than making me pay to join my own "volunteering". I am therefore absolutely against Cairo's proposal to make possible a kind of paying super customer who can and may do just that little bit more because he / she has contributed to the software part, than we are working hard to fill the Catawiki for a very large part. .
As a catawikinerd you can still build such a beautiful database with the most beautiful aapie's, but if it is not filled with data, I think you have an empty shell.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • August 21, 2010 16:54
added

LangeJan01, ooh excuse I wasn't very clear I'm afraid :)
I also forgot to mention an “idea”.

The people entering items should get points for that.
These points not only earn you honor and respect :)
But also with sufficient number of points access to the database.
You would of course still have to think about how that works in the long run.
Imagine LangeJan has imported 10,000 items, many months of work.
After how many months do you lose the “Free” right to such a CataNerd account.

With the option to build out catawiki yourself with new features, I think the site can only grow further.
simple things like e.g. remove something in an overview of comics with 1 click.
It's just an idea, of course.

Show original message
Carl
VIP
  • 53 messages
  • August 21, 2010 17:26
added
prices
reviews

As soon as I have to pay for Catawiki as a collector, my account may be deleted.

Show original message
  • 2,418 messages
  • August 21, 2010 18:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I've been working on my almost daily contribution to Catawiki for 2.5 years. How many points do I get for that?

Show original message
Go to page
25of 43