Go to page
25of 39
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 11:52
reviews

As the number of auctions has expanded in recent times, more and more bidders and sellers are asking for an automatic bidding function (auto bid). So that it is less necessary to follow the auction live on the closing evening. We have therefore developed an autobid function. Automatic bidding is now possible on this week's book auction . It will be available for all new auctions from Friday.

What is automatic bidding?

After placing an auto bid (automatic bid), the Catawiki auction system automatically increases your bid by the smallest amount allowed (the minimum bid step), if necessary, so that you are the highest bidder again. The system bids over another bidder up to the amount of the autobid you have entered. In this way you do not have to manually make a new bid, but you can easily set your maximum amount as an autobid. This is also useful if you are unable to follow the auction on the evening of the end of the auction. Only if someone makes a higher bid than your auto-bid, you will no longer be the highest bidder.

How does it work?

Enter the maximum amount you want to bid for the lot and press the "Autobid" button. To be on the safe side, you must confirm your car bid afterwards. You will then receive an e-mail with the confirmation of the issued autobid. If you have not yet had the highest bid, the first possible bid will be made on your behalf, taking the minimum bid step into account.

Example: Suppose there is another bidder with the highest bid on the lot, which is 55 euros and you want to bid a maximum of 150 euros. You enter a car offer of 150 euros. You will then be offered EUR 60 on your behalf.

For more information about automatic bidding, see the following page:

http://www.catawiki.nl/help/autobid

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • October 16, 2012 12:04
added
prices

@marco

nice development

I read the following on the extended page I quote:

What happens if someone bids just under your autobid?

In that case, your maximum bid will be placed as an automatic bid. Example: Suppose you have an autobid of 100 euros and the highest bid is 80 euros. Another bidder offers 99 euros. That bid is accepted and is then outbid by your bid by 100 euros.: end of quote

if I read it correctly, the minimum bidding step is no longer present here??

so i theory can we get pennies posturing?

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • October 16, 2012 12:10
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, because in order to outbid, the one of 99 Euro must enter 100 Euro + minimum bidding step (I thought).

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 12:11
reviews

Puurveensbooks: I read the following on the detailed page I quote What happens if someone bids just below your autobid? In that case, your maximum bid is made as an automatic bid. Example: Suppose you have a car bid of 100 euros and the highest bid is 80 euros. Another bidder offers 99 euros. That bid is accepted and is then outbid by your bid with 100 euros. ?

This is indeed a special (and only) situation where the minimum bidding step does not apply. By the way, it will not be a matter of money because you can only bid whole amounts.

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • October 16, 2012 12:19
added
prices

@ marco mmm yeah well think that minimum bidding steps very nice on the other hand such a high possible offer for the seller is also very interesting

few smart guests have the car offer discover little bit of aiming with bidding you put a car bid at 3 euros higher admit little nails searching at low tide

ps please give Jan Tuitman a poke about my mail

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 12:27
reviews

@ marco mmm well well I think those minimum bidding steps are very nice, on the other hand, a bid that is as high as possible for the seller is also very interesting

With normal bids and also when placing an automatic bid, the minimum bid step rule remains in place. Nothing has changed.

In the situation described above, we cannot execute the minimum bid step because you would then exceed the amount that the bidder has set as an automatic bid. That is why there is automatically no higher bid than what the bidder has entered as an automatic bid. In this example, 100 euros.

Incidentally, the bidder who has entered 99 euros will immediately see on his screen that he has been outbid and can then consider making a new bid.

ps please give jan tuitman a poke about my mail

He received it :-)

@Scam: No, because in order to outbid, the one of 99 Euro must enter 100 Euro + minimum bid step (I thought).

In the example, $100 is a bid generated automatically in response to the $99 bid.

Show original message
  • 11 messages
  • October 16, 2012 13:41
added
prices
October 16, 2012 13:41

Wow, that looks very good.

If I understand correctly you have to use whole numbers that are within normal bidding steps, such as 120 euros or 550 euros?

With a manual bid of 551 euros, it exceeds the autobid, in itself I don't mind because manual bidding still has an advantage.

What about the 1 minute rule if an autobid is placed in the last minutes?

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 13:49
reviews

If I understand correctly, you should use whole numbers that are within normal bidding steps, such as 120 euros or 550 euros?

No, it is not. The only rule is that an automatic bid must be at least the mandatory bid step above the current bid. So if the current bid is 100 euros, then you must bid at least 110 euros. It does not matter whether you make a normal or automatic bid.

Incidentally, an automatic bid of 110 euros does not make sense in this example, because that autobid is then immediately fully offered.

What about the 1 minute rule if an autobid is placed in the last minutes?

That rule will continue to exist: if an automatic bid is placed in the last minute, the time will be extended by 1 minute again. Exactly the same as with a regular bid.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • October 16, 2012 14:25
added
prices
info pages

What happens if someone places exactly the same (auto) bid as my (previously placed but not yet made) auto bid?

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 16, 2012 14:32
added
prices
reviews

What happens if someone places exactly the same (auto) bid as my (previously placed but not yet made) auto bid?

And what happens if we arrive at the last minute with multiple autobods?

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 14:54
reviews

@Boekenmagazijn: What happens if someone places exactly the same (auto) bid as my (previously placed but not yet made) auto bid?

Let me quote from the FAQ :

What happens if someone submits a bid that is exactly the autobid you placed earlier?

You had already placed an auto-bid on this lot for exactly the relevant amount. Your offer will then take precedence because it has been made earlier. Both bids can be seen in the history, with the same amount and time. The top bid is the one you placed first, which is the highest bid at the moment.

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 15:04
reviews

@rikMooren: And what happens if we arrive with several autobods in the last minute t?

There is always a maximum of one autobid active on a lot. Suppose I have an autobid of 100 euros, and you place an autobid of 120 euros. Then my autobid is outbid and therefore no longer active. Your autobid is the active autobid at that moment.

If a lot has an active autobid, that user's bid in the last minute is the highest bid. If someone makes a bid at the last minute, three things can happen:

1. The bid is lower than the maximum set autobid. In that case, a new bid is made immediately by the autobid. The bidder with the autobid still has the highest bid.
  2. The bid is higher than the maximum set autobid. In that case the autobid has been outbid and the bidder with the autobid no longer has the highest bid.
  3. Exactly the same amount is offered that is set as the maximum in the automatic bidding. In that case, the automatic bidding takes precedence and becomes the highest bid. The bidder with the autobid still has the highest bid.

In all these cases the time is extended by 1 minute. So if situation 1 or 3 occurs, as a bidder you can respond immediately with a counter offer if you wish.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • October 16, 2012 15:10
added
prices
reviews

There is always a maximum of one autobid active on a lot. Suppose I have an autobid of 100 euros, and you place an autobid of 120 euros. Then my autobid is outbid and therefore no longer active. Your autobid is the active autobid at that moment.

Does this mean that if I make an autobid that is lower than an autobid already placed, I will receive a notification that my autobid has not been accepted?
Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • October 16, 2012 15:19
reviews

rikMooren: Does this mean that if I make an autobid that is lower than an autobid already placed, I will receive a message that my autobid has not been accepted?

Your autobid will be accepted and your maximum bid will be placed immediately. You will then be immediately outbid by the autobid already placed.

You will of course immediately receive a notification on your screen and you can then consider making a new bid.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • October 16, 2012 16:18
added
prices
info pages

Let me quote from the FAQ :

Did I have read all over. Apparently I am not very clear today ;-)

Show original message
  • 318 messages
  • October 17, 2012 07:48
added
prices

@ Catawiki Team,

Another nice development for the auctions.

Automatically more bidders than before, I expect, wondering what the prices will go up if fewer people are required to attend live.

Mvg Koen

Show original message
  • 245 messages
  • October 19, 2012 08:24
prices

An autobid is still not the key to success. If you want to make sure you win a lot, you have to be there at the last minute.

And why would there suddenly be more bidders? A comic does not increase in value because it is linked to an auction with a car bid. Potential bidders already have x number of days to make their bids. Maybe that way the bidding will be over sooner.

For me it is not an immediate improvement as I determine in advance how high my bid will be and will not be influenced by the course of the auction. If a lot interests me, I will always check the shops to see what is available and that way I have already saved quite a bit of money.

So, an autobid, ok, why not, but I don't expect much from it.

Greetings,

Nick.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • October 19, 2012 09:04
added
prices
reviews

For me it is not an immediate improvement as I determine in advance how high my bid will be and I will not be influenced by the course of the auction.

Then it is useful to be able to set an autobid. Then you no longer have to worry about the course of the auction.

Anyway: the first auction with autobid was in any case a great success. The book auction has never had so many bidders before and I have had a lot of enthusiastic feedback from bidders and from providers at this auction. Technically it all worked perfectly.

Show original message
  • 57 messages
  • October 19, 2012 21:00
added
prices

Don't know, this is again in favor of the pros, I think.

And as already mentioned, if you want to be sure of the highest bid, you will have to be present the day of the auction or you has to put a huge amount to the detriment of the common collector, who sometimes secretly hopes for a bargain.

Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • October 19, 2012 21:06
October 19, 2012 21:06

I could be wrong, but are the bids not artificially increasing immediately?

The trend is that in the first days of the auctions the amounts are steadily increasing.

What if multiple autobods are executed (different bidders on the same lot) from the first moments that they can be bid? Then almost immediately the maximum amount of the highest bidder is on the lot. Does this not influence the further course of the auction and will this not deter bidders?

Greetings,

Johan

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • October 19, 2012 21:26
added
prices
reviews

@Rene/Marco

this is dangerous:

Your bid was previously made by another bidder as an autobid. The bid of the other bidder therefore takes precedence. If necessary, place a new bid

This will help you out. He then knows that he has reached the top of the other and does not have to bid any further, because then he will go over it and that is just not his intention. You must give such a message in all cases so that it is not clear what the highest autobid is, but they have not bid enough to obtain the item. That was also what went wrong in Ebay and was later fixed ...

Show original message
  • 431 messages
  • October 19, 2012 21:54
October 19, 2012 21:54

@Yooo

What if multiple autobods are executed (different bidders on the same lot) from the first moments that they can be bid? Then almost immediately the maximum amount of the highest bidder is on the lot. Does this not influence the further course of the auction and will this not deter bidders?

The operation of the autobid is precisely described on the auction site. In case of multiple car bids, the price indeed goes directly to the second highest car bid + 1 bidding step for the highest car bid.
The risk of deterrence is present, but the benefit to bidders who cannot be present during the expiration phase is greater.

@Morits

With this you play a 'driver' in the card. He then knows that he has reached the top of the other person and does not have to bid any further, because then he will cross it and that is just not his intention.

This line of thought is not entirely correct. A bidder never knows whether the current highest bid is the maximum of the auto bid. So any "driver" always runs the risk of making the highest bid.
The situation the report is about is also normal. The bidder who came right with the autobid (which he did not know in advance) now has the choice to make another bid to become the highest bidder. Or he accepts the previously released auto-bid.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • October 19, 2012 22:05
added
prices
reviews

The simple fact that the bidder knows through this message that he has reached the 'top' is sufficient, he does not want to know more, how he gets there is not so important ...

And ' choice ', he does not want to have the highest bid at all, he does not want to, he just wants to increase the price ... is that not clear from my words?

Show original message
  • 431 messages
  • October 19, 2012 22:19
October 19, 2012 22:19

the simple fact that the bidder knows through this message that he has reached the 'top' is sufficient, he does not want to know more, how he gets there is not so important ...

Apparently my explanation is not clear enough, apologies for that. I'm trying now with a numeric example:

There is a highest bid of, for example, € 125.
The so-called "booster" does not know if this is the highest level of any autobid.
He then places a "float bid" of € 135.

Now it appears that he is the highest bidder and therefore no longer an autobid.

In the reported situation, a bid is made that is equal to the maximum of an auto-bid that has already been placed. Then the transparency and credibility towards the other bidders requires that this becomes visible in the history of the bids. The bidder himself must also know why his bid is not accepted as the highest bid, while the equal is high.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • October 19, 2012 22:30
added
prices
reviews

The bidder himself must also know why his bid is not accepted as the highest bid, even though it is equal high

No, it is sufficient to say that you have the highest bid don't have. no more, just like with any other offer. In all cases, as I said before, give the same report ... by a deviating report the bidder knows what is going on and it should never appear. As said before: this is exactly the same error that was also in the bidding system at Ebay and they fixed it fairly quickly ... and for good reason ... you are in the same kicked wrong ... but okay, otherwise, but I am actually stupid that I still make an effort ...

Show original message
Go to page
25of 39