Go to page
25of 166
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 27, 2012 16:36
reviews

As of today, there is a new functionality on Catawiki: you can now add background information to a collection area. This ranks 3rd in the list of suggestions (with 73 votes).

Here is an example of what you can see with Henk Albers in the comics catalogue.

At the top of the page is a short description.

http://www.catawiki.nl/images/forum/backgroundpage1.jpg

Via the option "Background information" in the left column you can enter and change background information. And at the bottom of the page you can see all the details.

http://www.catawiki.nl/images/forum/backgroundpage2.jpg

Enjoy!

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • August 27, 2012 16:52
added
prices
reviews

great! I would make "born" "date of birth", that seems clearer to me.

Show original message
  • 164 messages
  • August 27, 2012 16:53
added
prices
reviews

I can't find the field "pseudonyms" by the way.

/ edit: that is of course just from the catalog data.

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 27, 2012 17:27
added
prices
info pages

It is a pity that the example has not been worked out a bit more carefully.

The buttons above the formatting window for the full text do not work optimally.

If you select a piece of text and make it bold , by clicking the B button, asterisks will appear in front and behind (and in Preview it will be bold). If you want to undo the bold text by clicking that button again (as is common here on the forum), additional asterisks will be added and the text in the preview will be italicized. You apparently have to click on the "Undo" arrow on the right. Very confusing.

This also applies to italicizing text.

The button quote (blockquote) gives a completely strange result. No idea how that should work.

P.S. These background pages are only available for the Dutch sites, I understand ?!

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • August 27, 2012 18:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Wonderful, but is it an option only for administrators or, according to the wiki system, we can also add / modify texts.
Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 28, 2012 22:08
added
prices
info pages

Everyone can and should. It just takes some effort to figure out exactly how it all works. But you can tinker with it until it is the way you want it.

Maybe a link on the main page (s) to "Latest background pages" is an idea? That may inspire other people, and otherwise it is a matter of looking for a needle in a haystack before you find other examples than Henk Albers.

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 28, 2012 22:15
added
prices
info pages

Stranger and stranger!

Yesterday at Lewis Carroll added a (temporary) background page, but now it has disappeared. Has an administrator disapproved it?

All my work is gone :-(

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 28, 2012 22:21
added
prices
info pages
reviews

We are working on input rules, such as that you are not allowed to write or change your own background information, and that you are not allowed to pick up texts from elsewhere on the internet. Actually similar to Wikipedia.
Whether a manual will be available immediately, I do not know.

We are also working on an overview of everything that already has background information. I do not know what that will look like. But I only got that idea yesterday, and doesn't seem to require much programmer effort.

By the way, I don't see a function yet where you can review the approved and rejected background info. They are not among the normal reviews.

And people are asked about their nationality, but I don't see it again later?

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • August 28, 2012 23:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Arco, I just entered a few reggea guests but I don't think the background info is reviewed at all, it's there immediately and everyone can immediately adjust and improve it without post-check by administrators it seems :)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 28, 2012 23:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes, that's right, it works the same as everywhere else in Catawiki.

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 28, 2012 23:51
added
prices
info pages

Which " small group " actually tested this, the last two months?

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Which " small group " actually has this tested in the past two months?

Marco & amp; Jos :-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:05
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Faint, Sinbad. Yawn!

I only get the very first version. After that I had no time for this due to busy work. Have followed the further transactions with a slanted eye. And further (I thought): Willem, Jilles, Arwin, René, Marco, Koos ... and?

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Just say what I think:

These reactions are beneath contempt. Just give feedback and then start the discussion

Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

such as that you are not allowed to write or change your own background information, ..

Haha, that is at least one line that comes too late. Because I have already seen a number of them :-)

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:36
added
prices
info pages

I didn't mean anything else with my question, you know. (I didn't necessarily have to hear names, either.) I just can't imagine that all testers have overlooked the "teething troubles" that are still there. Miscommunication with the programmers?

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:39
added
prices
info pages
reviews
input rules, such as that you are not allowed to write or change your own background information. What do you mean by this, Arco? My own profile information or things I entered myself? And information gathered from the internet seems very difficult to check, because background info is the same everywhere if all goes well. And what's wrong with getting definitions from Wikipedia or I.N.D.U.C.K.S, for example? I get a lot of information from that to add to items or to find out more, and rules must indeed be introduced to avoid discussions as much as possible. A manual is very Wishful Thinking, given that the only section that has a manual is the comic book catalog. I am already busy with something like this CataWiki-wide and in particular the questions section and Postcards. Unfortunately, that is now on the to-do-and-finish shelf due to work.
Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:49
added
prices
info pages

I think Arco is referring to the problem that people can add or change texts for self-interest (in the background pages we are talking about here), which present a colored version of the facts.

See for example: W eb world

or: De Volkskrant .

And for how it should be: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_standpunt

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 29, 2012 00:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@pegag

Haha, that's at least one line that comes too late. Because I have already seen a number of them :-)

Already? Where? It is a pity that the rules did not come before the functionality, but they are not too late. Because we can also just remove background info, you know. Because it is not neat. Of course, we don't want a publisher's background page to become one big free ad for "a super company, with a great fund." And artists who are ashamed of Primary should not be allowed to remove texts about it either. Those kind of things. Wikipedia is very strict about that, and rightly so. Just look at what happened when members of the royal family started to spruce up their own page.

@Dick:

My own profile information

No, there are users who are also authors or publishers, and they could theoretically write their own background info with a nice resume without failures.

And what's wrong with getting definitions from Wikipedia or eg INDUCKS?

That's called swiping. That's wrong with it.
We won't be typing Matla for our Catawiki catalog either. You do not do that. Just like Matla will not pick up texts from Catawiki.

Texts may of course be quoted elsewhere from the internet, but a quote should always be very limited in scope and you will therefore have to state where you want it. exactly, it seems to me.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • August 29, 2012 01:19
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, there are users who are also authors or publishers, and they could theoretically write their own background information with a nice resume without failures.

I can do Arco there but just agree.

And that has to do with whether or not items are approved;

It should be VERY CLEAR that an item is approved or not.

And with this also bring up this suggestion .

Show original message
  • LastDodo Team
  • 1,008 messages
  • August 29, 2012 07:03
reviews

@debluu: great! from "born" I would make "date of birth", that seems clearer to me.

Good point. We adapt.

@deblouw: I can't find the field "pseudonyms" by the way.

Indeed, we only show pseudonyms. They are maintained by the administrators. (This has been the case for years, by the way).

@boekmagazijn: The buttons above the formatting window for the full text do not work optimally. If you select a piece of text and make it bold by clicking the B button, it will have asterisks before and after (and in the Preview it will be bold). If you want to undo the bold text by clicking that button again (as is customary here on the forum), extra asterisks will be added and the text in the preview will be italicized. You apparently have to click the "Undo" arrow on the right side. Very confusing.

Just like Wikipedia, we use a simple formatting language that allows you to make parts of the text bold, for example. We are working on a good help page to explain those codes. Because not everyone will remember those codes, you can also use the bar with the icons. I've found that if you want to make something bold, for example, it works as expected. If you don't want to make the text bold anymore, you can't do that very easily via the toolbar (except undo). The easiest way is to remove the formatting codes.

@Boekenmagazijn: The button quote (blockquote) gives a completely strange result. No idea how that is supposed to work.

This is indeed not well indicated in the example. Let's solve today.

@Boekenmagazijn: PS These background pages are only there for the Dutch sites, I understand?!

Correct. Later we will also introduce this for the other language versions. In that case, no automatic translation is used.

@Boekenmagazijn: Perhaps a link on the main page(s) to "Latest background pages" would be an idea?

I don't know if we should put that on the home page, but it's nice that you can see it. Let me think about it.

@Scam: It should be VERY CLEAR as to whether an item is approved or not.

Above the background page is a 'Background history' link. It is not the case that we immediately show whether the background information has been completely reviewed. We don't do that in the catalog either.

Main action points

1. Clear entry rules
  2. Clear instructions use codes
  3. Solve layout problem 'quote' function
  4. Change Born to Date of Birth
  5. Overview all new background pages.
  6. For administrators: overview of all background pages, both unreviewed and approved/disapproved.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • August 29, 2012 08:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Does Death also change to Date of Death, Marco?
And did you see my comment about Nationality?
Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • August 29, 2012 09:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Already? Where then?

A number of authors. Incidentally, I only saw neutral / business information (date of birth, number of swimming certificates, etc.), no hooray stories.

Hey, that's strange. That one is already gone. Just do not know if this is because the user in question has completely deleted it himself or if the system did it inadvertently.
Since Boekenmagazijn has also 'lost' a page, it is worth checking.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • August 29, 2012 09:42
added
prices
reviews

if you set Born: and then you have the option to enter a place and date, then Born is good. If you use Date of Birth as a header, then Place of Birth must also be entered separately again.

Born and Died seems fine to me in this case ...

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • August 29, 2012 10:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Above the page with background page is a link 'Background history' . It is not the case that we immediately show whether the background information has been completely reviewed. We don't do that in the catalog either.

I'm probably completely blind, but I can't see that link :-)

(unless I click on 'Change background information' )

I actually meant that the items themselves should indicate whether the item / background information has been reviewed or not (a bit like Wikipedia does). Few users know the existence of 'History'.

Incidentally, there is something strange again: if I click on the link above and then go to Henk Albers, the icon 'incoming mail' appears next to my name

Show original message
Go to page
25of 166