Go to page
25of 64
  • 1,354 messages
  • July 25, 2010 23:14
added
prices
info pages
reviews

This question follows from what is currently going on in another thread.
So far, I only include items that I own. That makes the catalog of e.g. Video Games Incomplete.
For the consoles in particular, I would also like to add the missing ones. However, I don't have my own images of it.
Is it not possible to enter "provisional" items so that the catalog is complete (see Bonte catalog)?

Edit: this should actually be with Suggestions

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • July 27, 2010 21:10
added

I totally agree with you ..
Would like to be able to see what a cover / picture looks like via the “mobile” site.

Do you know what to look out for :)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 27, 2010 21:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

With regard to missing items, we have agreed that we will wait patiently for a collector to come and have the item in their possession, scan it and describe it properly. Even if something slips through ... Administrators also have a hard enough time with items that are entered correctly.

And furthermore… you know that feeling of: hey, I have something that is not yet in Catawiki! Fun! I'm going to enter that!
You should also allow someone else that fun.

In a little while, and we will be a social website… (;-)

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • July 27, 2010 21:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Arco:

quote And further… you know that feeling of: hey, I have something that is not yet in Catawiki! Fun! I'm going to enter that!
You should also allow someone else that fun.

Yes, I fully agree with that. I had thought of a system in which "provisional items" clearly occupy a separate place. For example, completely in red with clearly above "this item is still missing". And if someone then enters an original image, he is also the importer.

I also don't want to do it for everything, I don't think about importing a full catalog of Video Games (I'm not that massochist yet!). But the Video Game Consoles are a fairly limited set and having them all would give a nice historical overview.
I can imagine that there are still a few collecting areas.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • July 28, 2010 14:22
added

arco,

Not to be difficult :) but still..

I also sometimes see items that are not in anyone's collection, of course they may have been sold.

But these will remain, the reason for this is I assume they have been checked by the one who once entered them?

oh and why do we come across things like this?
http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/The-Birds-of-A…

Can't see in the history of that object that anyone ever had it (if that's possible, I don't know yet).

@Scam I agree with you :D (for what it's worth) ;)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 28, 2010 14:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You are a user for two days, Cairo555.
First I would just have a look around, try to understand how the site works, and look up your own items and enter them if necessary.

The misconception for you is that you think Catawiki is a sales site. However, Catawiki is basically a catalog.
And that catalog - which we want to keep as clean and tidy as possible - can ALSO be used to sell items.

Your link is too long and does not work. You might want to give a Catawikinumemr of the item you are referring to.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • July 28, 2010 14:44
added
prices
reviews

Cairo555, see also our renewed explanation pages: www.catawiki.nl/help

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • July 28, 2010 15:12
added
prices
info pages

If I may take a guess: 857601

Items can be in a collection that is set to "private", then you won't see the collector listed (although that won't be the case in this case).

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • July 28, 2010 21:33
added

@Arco: I'll do it too :)

Euhh, no Catawiki is really not a sales site for me.
Whatever you say, nice to keep track of your collection and see what others have.

@Rene, last week I had been browsing the help and faq page to see what you can post now and what not, but after the explanation from Arco it was clear, so I have it I couldn't find that 1 2 3 in the help or FAQ , but maybe I looked wrong or it has been added in the meantime. :)

@Boekenmagazijn, I mean that indeed, I don't really understand why it may / can be added and a comic that I don't have myself.

Assume that no distinction is made between things that are just fun to put on, such as “ 857601 ” or a “simple” comic?

bvd for the explanation: D
I'm going to take a look at the help now, who knows I can already find my answers there.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 28, 2010 22:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You will encounter the following in the help:

=====
Track collection
You can maintain your own collection on the basis of the central catalog. If an item from your collection is already on Catawiki, you can place it in My Collections with a mouse click (even series at once with the “Bulk add” option). Is it not on Catawiki yet? First add it to the catalog. In this way you help to complete the catalog.
==========

You cannot peel potatoes or wash your car with Catawiki.
But that is not in the help text… (;-)

Obviously, something slipped in between in the past - for whatever reason -, but that is not the basis for new slips. Basically everything is treated the same, but administrators are not robots.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • July 29, 2010 00:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

quote You can't peel potatoes or wash your car with Catawiki.
But that is not in the help text… (;-)

However, they had promised that at the start of Catawiki.
Now I am here with a dirty car and 500 kg of unpeeled potatoes!

Fie (;-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,418 messages
  • July 29, 2010 06:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Take care of your pagers, because they are going to be expensive this year :-)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • July 29, 2010 06:43

With some sections, such as the trading cards, it is no problem at all if you place items that you do not have.
So I hope that potential importers of that section will not be deterred by this discussion.

After all, trading cards only have a front and back, and the dimensions are not that important.
I can imagine that with stamps, stickers and beer coasters it is not all that difficult if you place items that you do not have.
As long as there is a good image.

In most other sections it is indeed the intention that you only post what you have yourself.
For very rare items, where it is not realistic that they will ever be placed in a normal way, you can possibly make exceptions.
We don't have to be too difficult about that.

What I can also imagine is that when you start up a new section, you look less tight, and only tighten the reins later.
This is how the comic book section has grown too.

As far as I am concerned, there is no problem for the consoles in the newly created games section.
The specifications of these devices are well known, and if you can get a good image from someone (rights free) I would just enter that, hear Scam.
If the game section is well organized, you can / should take a stricter look at it.

Show original message
  • 2,917 messages
  • July 29, 2010 07:19
added
prices
reviews

I'm still * against "just add it if you don't have the item.
(having it can be borrowing from someone who does have it)

And it is indeed difficult when you are looking for an item, but patience remains a virtue.

And a new section fills itself up, in the end we will continue to grow, I understand.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • July 29, 2010 08:45
added

@Arwin, wow that's really blurry :) (maybe it's too early and I'm not fully awake yet).

The comics I added are also quite rare, first few batman comics from the US series.
I received a message that this is not the intention.

Whatever the rules, I'm fine with it, rules are rules.
But if it's just clear where you can add items that aren't part of your collection, then we wouldn't have had this discussion either :)
Perhaps an idea because by placing an icon or piece of text next to a section, you can see in a section whether you can add things that you do or do not have.

Shall I only submit one feature request? :)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • July 29, 2010 09:04

The rules for the comics are in any case such that this is indeed not allowed.
These rules also apply to almost all other sections.
Although I can live with it myself if it does happen with very rare comics, the administrator was right to disapprove your input.

The reason is that this type of input is often full of errors, usually incomplete and often difficult to check.

These issues don't affect the consoles Scam is talking about.
If he also wanted to import games this way, I would have more problems with that.

in the end we will continue to grow, I understand

But if we don't grow fast enough, we run the risk that we will soon be overtaken left and right by sites that copy the concept of Catawiki, and are more practical.
It is better to use your farmer's sense, and only apply rules where they are actually useful.

For example, it is a good rule for records that you only enter something when you own the item.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 29, 2010 09:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Just make a correction. I have not disapproved those old rare comics at all, but if the importer is unable to describe the item correctly (because he also has no idea what exactly is in it) and does not even know which series / hero to hang on it , then that will happen.

Detective Comics, for example, is not a hero, but a series. The hero is often Batman or one of his "friends-who-do-a-trick". But if the cover doesn't show that, the importer has a problem.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • July 29, 2010 09:49

On this point, I agree 100% with Arco.

Show original message
  • 45 messages
  • July 29, 2010 17:25
added

Me too. :)

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • July 30, 2010 00:21
added
prices
reviews

I can imagine that with stamps, stickers and beer mats it is not all that difficult if you place items that you do not have.
As long as there is a good image.

With stamps it is indeed no objection at all that you do not have the item. My vision is that the collector likes to have a catalog in which is as complete as possible an enumeration of what is there. Only a small proportion of collectors have the time or the trouble to enter new items. If we have to wait for the collector who has the item and also takes the trouble to enter it, it takes a long time before we have complete country overviews. In addition, thousands of stamps are so rare that the chance that someone has them is very small. In fact, there are stamps of which there are only a few that also all hang in museums. these items would never end up in the catalog.
In my opinion, these too belong in a catalog.

I also post complete country databases even if I don't have some of the scans.

Apparently this is different with other objects. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that stamps have already been mapped by many other catalogs, so you don't need to have the object to describe it.

I could imagine that a "provisional" recording invites the data to be completed.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 30, 2010 00:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I can also imagine that something will be found on it at some point, you know. As long as it can be managed.

Show original message
  • 215 messages
  • July 30, 2010 02:41
added
prices
reviews

@arwin don't be too quick to agree with arco

the field is series / hero
“Detective comics” is a series in my opinion and in this case it seems appropriate to introduce it like this

in this you have 2 series "detective comics" and "DC millennium editions (english)"
DC millennium editions is a collection of 2000 reissues of older comics including parts from detective comics, the spirit, flash, adventure comics, batman, gen 13, wonder woman, action comics etc

I have already started a discussion about this via email with arco

this seems like a problem case, the exception to the rule like adventure comics and action comics will be too

Show original message
  • 215 messages
  • July 30, 2010 02:54
added
prices
reviews

The problem seems to me here that detective comics must be able to be linked as a series to another series of “DC millennium editions (english)”

as for action comics it must be linked to action comics annuals and “DC millennium editions (english)”

and adventure comics become even more complicated because over the years this name has been changed on the cover from new comics to new adventure comics to adventure comics but they just belong together

So to keep it clear you have to use an artifice

Show original message
  • 215 messages
  • July 30, 2010 03:05
added
prices
reviews

comics will continue to cause a lot of problems in the structure of catawiki

because we still have to talk about a case like “House of M” because it contains crossovers over more than 20 series with a storyline in the marvel universe where the storyline runs through all these series

of which collectors want to be sure which parts exist

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • July 30, 2010 05:18

Hai Steven,

The problem here, as Arco describes it, is that the importer has too little information about this comic to enter it properly.

In this case I think we 2 disagree on what a series is and what a series of stories is.
I don't think the series / hero field is intended to group a series of different series, under a series name, into 1 series.
At least that's how I've always looked at it.

Anyway, you can discuss this together via email.

comics will continue to pose a lot of problems in Catawiki's structure

Right now it is often a tricky story indeed.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 64