POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • November 22, 2020 14:55
added
prices
reviews

Rene

Arco also agreed that recent posts should be easier to read. Something had already been reported that everyone overlooked because they preferred to go directly to their own section. That is why many users do not see the report about Arco, which is a bit offensive, because it should never be overlooked.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 23, 2020 12:22
added
prices
reviews

We are also developing a new version of the forum. Indeed, it would be good for important reports or active discussions to emerge more clearly. Did you already have a concrete suggestion how it could be better?

Show original message
  • 206 messages
  • November 23, 2020 13:14
added
prices
reviews

Can't help but agree.

It's a completely different setup, but perhaps the forum on Tweakers can serve as a kind of example here?

https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum

This has all the functionalities required for a properly functioning forum.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • November 23, 2020 13:33
added
prices
reviews

I also think it will not be easy as long as you have the option to go directly to your favorite section.
You can put important messages (with *) at the top and 'force' to read them first, but I don't know if that will work

Show original message
  • 206 messages
  • November 23, 2020 14:02
added
prices
reviews

for the really important messages you could use some kind of alert window as a popup that appears first and someone has to click away.

You could also, for example, place major disruptions there, etc.

However, this should be used sparingly, otherwise it will irritate the readers.

I don't see another quick way for the current form of our forum.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • November 23, 2020 14:20
added
prices
November 23, 2020 14:20

Oh and Rene,
Because you are in this thread:

I found out that the link to the contact page on your profile gives a 404.

The link will work at the bottom of the footer. It seems that right after the domain / nl / is missing in your profile link.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,322 messages
  • November 23, 2020 14:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I found out that the link to the contact page on your profile gives a 404.

You cannot send a pb to René and Marco, was set up a long time ago

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • November 23, 2020 14:53
added
prices
November 23, 2020 14:53

He Collector,

I know that. This is the link on his profile page to the contact page.

A piece is missing and a 404 appears. : D

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • November 23, 2020 14:54
added
prices
November 23, 2020 14:54

Either the link in the sentence:

You can send this user a message via the contact page .

Just click on it above and you will see it.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,322 messages
  • November 23, 2020 15:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

This is the link on his profile page to the contact page.

That is the link to possibly send a pb, which is blocked and that is why you get a 404 message. I will ask if it is technically possible to get that link out of there.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • November 23, 2020 16:06
added
prices
November 23, 2020 16:06

Haha, I understand that is blocked with Rene.

Only if you look at your own catalog profile, you will see the entry fields to send a message by default.

At Rene this has been manually changed to a link to the contact page. And that link gives a 404. Removing that link there means that no one can indirectly send a personal message to Rene anymore.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,322 messages
  • November 23, 2020 16:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It has been reported to the techies.

Show original message
  • 630 messages
  • November 23, 2020 21:16
added
prices

Will try to help the techies a bit.

@DeBijzaak: forum ala tweakers is already there, you are only distracted by the appearance . On LD everything is in tree structure (left), you would do this ala TW you have a very long 'scroll' page. (The link item (title) shows the first so many posts ....

And that popup (nowadays mostly modals) was useful indeed, but must then specifically appear on Forum; otherwise (not sure if it happens on the forum itself) ... explanation: with no cookies and therefore a kind of first visit, you already get a modal for your password adjustment (CW to LD) ... that would lead to a malfunction.

In general the forum would be more useful (imo) for an archive section.
A 'collapsed double system' where the 'old' (from a certain date) are placed in = 1 'parent' main section, with 'children' sections
So you do not have an xx number of page links in your page at the top or bottom (take news ... 32 links ... so old (32) is there ... still up to date & gt; not immediately .. so for example keep 5, and the rest in archive). In this way they continue to exist and can be viewed, but the so-called main section remains 'fresh' ..

Show original message
  • 247 messages
  • November 23, 2020 22:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

When a new version of the forum is developed, I hope that in addition to the visible / archive / push discussion, attention will also be paid to the sufficient interaction. Like and respond to a message, we are so used to it that it is a pity that it is not possible here.
And also: posting an image with a message: so handy for discussions about whether or not to enter an item correctly. I am already looking forward to the development proposals and want to test again.

EDIT: You could make the forums you see depend on your collecting preferences. Everyone sees that 'News', but a lot of collectors collect in only 1 or 2 sections. So then you either set in which forum you want to see (in addition to news, what is being pushed), or you link it to the collection itself. Eg. 10,000 stamps and 27 comics in your collection, then you will see (only) the stamp forum as standard in addition to news.

EDIT 2: You can also clean up all sticky forum topics, but that is human work ...

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 24, 2020 08:58
added
prices
reviews

And also: posting an image with a message: so handy for discussions about whether or not to enter an item correctly.

That is indeed provided in the new version of the forum.

Like and respond to a message, we are so used to it that it is a pity that it is not possible here.

You can respond, right? I do that now. Or do you mean that it should be done in a different way. V.w.b. like: do you mean that you want to be able to indicate, for example with a thumbs up or down, whether you appreciate a message from someone else or not? Do you have an example elsewhere of how you like it to work? In itself we would like to increase the interaction on the forum so all ideas are welcome.

EDIT 2: You can also clean up all sticky forum topics, but that is human work ...

That's right. The broom has to go through that too.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 24, 2020 09:01
added
prices
reviews

In general the forum would be more useful (imo) for an archive section.
A 'collapsed double system' where the 'old' (from a certain date) are placed in = 1 'parent' main section, with 'children' sections
So you do not have an xx number of page links in your page at the top or bottom (take news ... 32 links ... so old (32) is there ... still up to date & gt; not immediately .. so for example keep 5, and the rest in archive). In this way they continue to exist and can be viewed, but the so-called main section remains 'fresh' ..

I can't really imagine this right away. Do you have an example of where that works well?

Show original message
  • 1,330 messages
  • November 24, 2020 12:26
prices
info pages
reviews
Maybe also think about the "main entrances" of a new tree structure. Of course you can't avoid users posting incorrectly, but you can help. In General there are already 2 major "problems with the site" and "suggestions for the site", here you can reorganize and add "new releases" and "manuals". In all rubric forums, anything is posted in a topic, maybe split into "questions for users" and "questions for administrators" (if helpful)? Or take it a step further (but that is extra development): can standard questions to administrators via the item detail page, you have to adjust the layout. The current "send price suggestion" could then become a dropdown with "request price suggestion, frozen item, wrong photo, add alias, remove related, ... (in short, 90% of what administrators do and which other collectors have no use for, all less posts like pollution on the forum) The forum then becomes a real discussion point if you have questions that require the help of collectors.
Show original message
  • 630 messages
  • November 24, 2020 12:27
added
prices

@Rene I'm going to put it in text form, so I hope to get the reader involved (and that it's clear).

Apologies in advance for the length of the message (and capitalization for clarification).

Every system is different, so will propose a roadmap
Starting from the existing forum (construction).
Opbouw consists of Parents & gt; (main forums / titles) Children & gt; (Sub-forums / titles) Messages & gt; (posts / threads) (visual staircase down).
( which already exists in progress! )

Creation (Secondary) Parent named Archive
Creation (secondary) Child with a name that describes the rubric (eg) Books.

So now (secondary) MAIN & gt; archive & gt; (secondary) SUB & gt; books.
Then move all older posts (eg after x date) threads from the MAIN / SUB forum Post to
Secondary main forum (Archive & gt; Books & gt; thread container ....)

Do this for all MAIN subs in Secondary .. (make mirroring excluding the news items to be displayed).
For example, suppose date is based on years, then everything goes to the Archive before 2020 & gt; sub Books.

In principle when the Archive structure exists (possibly identical to the MAIN forum), the threads (years) from the main subsection (2017/2018/2019) can be moved (by admin or moderator).

Are there any drawbacks to this? possibly YES, when using SEF urls (when these are automatically generated , sql insert error can occur because the url (main) is already is in use (renaming sef is unfortunately necessary).
Example SEf = Books then the new sef could be eg BookAr ...

This is independent of the titles used (shown) !!!!

When asked for an example of a system, I can indicate (no product favoring / or advertising) that most CMS systems with a
forum onboard have this capability. There are also more options such as images, tracking, polls, etc. often already available.
The goal and usefulness (wish and inventiveness) is decisive.

Generally expected appearance, in structure of current:
LD url forum & gt; shows 3/4 General (the latest headings)
It concerns the left column & gt;
Popular forums (expanded)
Other forums (expanded)
And now somewhere in this overview & gt; bottom center, left or wherever the name ARCHIVE (collapsed, which can expand after click).

Another possibility would be to do this PER subforum already (a so-called sticky url would be the relevant archive item).
A lot can be done with a little imagination ..

(hope it is not too obvious that I have my nose in it here and there ;-))

Show original message
  • 247 messages
  • November 24, 2020 20:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@René you can indeed already respond to another message, but in longer threads it is almost unavoidable - just like you did - to partly copy the specific message you want to respond to - in your own message in order to keep the overview who responds to what. That is not really clear, there should be more layering in a discussion.

Furthermore, I mean indeed to be able to give a like to a message; a thumbs up is already a lot. Some may find this unnecessary, but it does give you a good insight into what users appreciate in the suggestions and opinions of others; it also increases engagement in a simple and now familiar way. After all, not everyone has it in them to also respond via text, a thumbs up is quickly placed. You could even test new development suggestions with it.

Now I'm not an expert on this either, I'll look for an example that I like.

Another idea, now that many of us already have digital meetings via Zoom / MS Teams / whatever: brainstorm online about this with a few LDs who have some insight into the wishes, the possibilities, the development side...

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • November 24, 2020 21:02
added
prices
info pages
reviews

thumbs up ... good insight into what users appreciate in the suggestions and opinions of others; it also increases engagement in a simple and now familiar way.

Personally, I am not waiting for opinions from people who do not get involved in a discussion and therefore have nothing to add in terms of content. What's the use of many anonymous "quickly placed" thumbs that are being thrown around? Dips down when something is said that I don't like to hear? That is not a measure of value for content / truth / correctness / ..., that is a popularity poll that I would rather not participate in.

Viel zu viel Wert auf die Meinung anderer zu legen ist ein allgemein herrschender Irrwahn.

A. Schopenhauer

Show original message
  • 247 messages
  • November 24, 2020 22:14
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Trumps down when someone tells me something I don't like to hear? That is not a measure of value for content / truth / correctness / ..., that is a popularity poll that I would rather not participate in.

|

@JozefK I agree; I would therefore limit it to 'thumbs up'. No other emoticons either.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,271 messages
  • November 26, 2020 09:38
added
prices
reviews

@MennoGo

@ René you can indeed already reply to another message, but in longer threads it is almost inevitable - just like you did - to partially copy the specific message you want to reply to in your own message in order to make it so. maintain an overview of who responds to what. That is not really clear, there should be more layers in a discussion.

The disadvantage seems to me that you quickly get a lot of branches with a few messages, which creates the risk that the whole thing becomes unclear and you quickly miss messages in sub threads.

@ Leike-w Thank you for your detailed explanation.

And thanks to everyone else for their tips and advice. We will work on it. Any other suggestions are welcome in this thread.

Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • November 26, 2020 16:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I find the current form more convenient for the following reasons.

First, because otherwise you will be continuously clicking back and forth. Sub-thread in, back to the top, another sub-thread in, another branch, new sub-thread in, back to the top, etcetera ad infinitum.

Second, I can now respond to multiple people in one post. This keeps the forum more compact and clear than when you have to do this in all individual posts and new branches arise, which you then all have to keep an eye on to see if you have been replied to again.

Finally, and that is related to the above, in a tree structure with branches, discussions quickly arise in the subs that no longer have any relationship with each other or with the original topic.

I like to take the quota blocks for granted if they allow me to just scroll through the entire thread at once

Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • November 26, 2020 16:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Oh, and the use of "thumbs" should, in my opinion, be limited to the colloseum. In a forum they have no function or added value.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • November 26, 2020 17:20
added
prices
reviews

I fully agree with this, the current structure is good enough. The problem is that really important messages (such as from Arco) are sometimes not read.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 36