Go to page
25of 43
  • 289 messages
  • April 20, 2010 18:30
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Rene, you closed the item “beer mats”, but I actually did not receive a response from you to my response to your proposal. Hence just a new item.
Incidentally, my side has seriously focused on the coasters / beer mats story. If you use beer coasters, not everyone will understand that coasters for non-alcoholic drinks can also be included in this category and the word “coasters” simply exists, so why not use them. See further message below.

Can you tell me how you / we will deal with it now?

* Basically a tight plan.

Vwb. the miniatures, for me personally your proposal would be fine, but it is a different group of collectors. The normal bottles and miniatures are not often linked together in “whiskey land”.

I would broaden the section for beer coasters to coasters and I still have doubts about the rolling coasters and the blotting sheets at the bottom of a glass (no idea what they are called). Also do not know whether the latter group is also collected, but I can imagine something. You could anticipate that, you can also wait for a collector to arrive.

When coupled properly, you get, in my view, a very good structure of everything that has to do with alcoholics.
I assume that the non-alcoholic drinks are mainly thematically collected by brand.

Regarding the “other” items, I don't think we should transfer them to the “other” section like that.
- There is probably a solution for the bottle openers (43 pieces).
- The water jugs can go to the section “ceramics”
- Empty bottles (there are also some, if necessary I can give them a unique characteristic) can also go to glass.

The rest is about one or more items. you can choose to put a few directly under the correct heading (such as mugs under ceramics, photo camera under cameras, etc.), but perhaps this is a bit of work?

By the way, I wouldn't replace the link to alcoholics with a link to brands, but would include both.

I am a big supporter of opening up “other”. With the comics I notice the lack of search options, which means that corrections to incorrect entries (visible in the drop-down menus) cannot be made. Your motivation for closing this section at the time was to perform it without linking to another section. Perhaps you can now approach this as is done with the theme headings? *

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,268 messages
  • April 20, 2010 19:24
added
prices
reviews

I want to make “Beer coasters and other coasters” from it. Is clear (collectors search for terms such as beer mat and coasters and not for coaster, I think), good for Google (we can be found on beer coasters and coasters) and meets most wishes.

Thumbnails may indeed have to be separated. You do have a point there.

We can see if we can break down the remaining items even further.

I want to get started with the Alcoholics section next week. It is quite an operation and I want to take it easy with Marco.

I think we should indeed open others.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 20, 2010 22:58

So these types of items
are we not going to put the felts, even though it has the same function?
Because it is made of a different material, is it suddenly a kitchenware?

Why not “coasters / coasters”?
You might find that even better with Google.

By the way, this entire kitchenware section is a collection of all kinds of objects that should actually have specific input fields.
It seems to me inevitable that this section will be torn apart in the future, as is happening now with the drink.
Then it is better to put the coasters right next to the felt pads, they are basically the same objects.

By the way, I would appreciate it if a lock is thrown on a topic less quickly on the forum.
If there is an argument in a topic, okay.
But now it seems like you are silencing people who have a discussion, because you yourself think enough has been said about it.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,268 messages
  • April 21, 2010 00:15
added
prices
reviews

I think that example should be included, good point.

The kitchenware section is indeed very confusing. Similar to alcoholics. The 1000 chocolate molds do provide a nice overview. Indeed, we still have to get started with this column.

Funny that you say that I should be less likely to place a lock. I just have all prompts in my mailbox to do that more often so that the discussions remain a bit tidier or more focused on the topic. It was therefore a bit of my intention to place a lock more often. In this case the lock on the beer coasters topic was indeed perhaps a bit too premature. Anyway, this topic may be discussed further.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 21, 2010 07:03

Yes, sorry, but people who ask if you can put a lock on a topic, if something goes off topic, just don't have to complain.
If that annoys you, stop reading, or ask if it can go on topic again, if the original topic still needs to be discussed.

Asking for a lock, when other people are still busy talking, is just plain ill-mannered.
I can already see you doing something like this in everyday life.
That you walk up to a few people who are talking and say “And now you stop talking !!”
You don't do that either, do you? (I hope)

Anyway, on topic again.

Is it useful to put the bottles next to glass, while you know that the glass section will also be demolished in the future, and will become a theme section?
Isn't it something to set up a packaging section?

And off topic again.
Good luck with the presentation today.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,268 messages
  • April 21, 2010 10:27
added
prices
reviews

That you walk up to a few people who are talking and say "And now you stop talking !!"

Haha :-)

Is it useful to put the bottles next to glass, while you know that the glass section will also be demolished in the future, and will become a theme section?
Isn't it something to set up a packaging section?

Let me think about it for a moment. All materials are actually also themes, yes. In addition, a glass is also an object.

Good luck at the ceremony today.

Thanks! To temper expectations a bit: we have been nominated together with three other good start-ups ...

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • April 21, 2010 19:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews

With regard to the glassware and kitchen utensils sections, it is new to me that these will be theme sections. Assume that the same will happen with ceramics.
The consequence is that series will then be separated, I do not know whether that is very useful. In the field of glassware as well as that of pottery I have the necessary series, which would then be divided over (I just think of something) smoking, vases, dishes, plates, etc.? Is that very useful? A manufacturer, cartridge (the series), etc. can then be the theme.
Arwin, I'm a bit divided on your proposal about the coasters. You can indeed create a section for “moisture absorbers”. I already indicated that a bit in my earlier piece. But there is a distinction between “advertising material” such as felt pads and paper coasters and the coaster from Guust. You are talking about other collection areas.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 21, 2010 21:43

Those items are, at some point, indeed divided over several headings.
For example, a number of figurines have already been removed from the pottery.

But because pottery and glass then become theme headings, you can still see them together afterwards.
We will not compile these material theme sections by means of links, but on the basis of the material as specified in the items themselves in the various sections.

In the theme sections themselves we can add extra theme info to an item. (all this has yet to be made, there is still talk about how this will work)
Then we can, for example, put all delft blue together, or everything that is manufactured according to the pottery process.

What we want to go to is a strict separation between themes and what the item actually is.
There are 2 reasons for this.

The most important thing is that you have 2 different types of collectors.
People who collect certain items, such as all kinds of comic books.
And people who collect according to a theme, for example everything from a certain manufacturer.
Both collector type need to be well served, and at the moment theme collectors are getting a bit of the short straw.

This item 1019029 has recently been placed in the Disney section for example , while we also have a clocks section with input fields dedicated to clocks.
This clock is difficult to find for the clock collector who does not look in the Disney section.
The importer is a theme collector, namely Disney, so the Disney section is the most logical for him.
So this is not an error of the importer, but an error in the structure of Catawiki.
By making Disney a theme section, they will soon be in both sections.

The other reason is that at the moment the theme headings that have not yet been converted and headings with more specific items are used interchangeably.
The result is a lot of unnecessary duplication, and items that are actually in the wrong section.
At the moment a lot is going wrong with input, because we use 2 systems together.
(although things are going a lot better since the conversion of the theme sections has started)

In the future there will also be a clear difference in appearance between theme and item categories.
They will also no longer be mixed up.

About the second part of your question.
I understand that beer coasters collectors are not interested in other coasters.
But you have that in all collection areas.
You have record collectors who hate CDs.

The point is that we cannot create endless sections, because otherwise you will not find anything in Catawiki anymore.
So grouping must be logical.
If we don't put the coasters near the felt pads, where should they be when splitting up kitchenware?
Beer coasters are coasters.
If you provide them as a material cardboard, you can easily view them without being bothered by the other coasters.
And you can probably also give them as a generic beer mat.

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • April 22, 2010 09:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Arwin, your explanation is clear and the choices mentioned are understandable, but with regard to the coasters / coasters, it is at odds with Rene's proposal to bombard bottles (filled) and miniatures into 2 separate sections. In fact, this is an identical principle choice.

Show original message
  • 469 messages
  • April 22, 2010 10:21
added
prices

Can't start separating the item and the theme headings?

That these can be called up separately and that a clear dividing line is created. Maybe then people will go to the item faster than the theme. I think this is especially useful for input.

Anyway, if everything is made an item, it will not make sense for the theme and vice versa.

You should then have a link to theme headings on the main page if item and theme are separated. Then I think both sides are happy and Cata stays clean if you only see the item categories first and want to add an item.

Maybe, but think that takes a lot of power, the entire database would have to be searched for input if you were to enter something in a theme section.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 22, 2010 11:02

@ Chevy,
I totally disagree with that choice.
There is liquor in those thumbnails, so it's strange that they don't appear with the drink.
I do not think that the collectors differ from each other.
If we start to think along that path, all the sections will eventually fall apart Then Catawiki shatters into thousands of little pieces, and no one is bathed with that.
Simply looking at the item is the only remedy for chaos.

@ André,
If you try to enter something in a Theme section, you will already be redirected to the item sections.
Just try entering a DVD in the movie / TV section.
The theme sections will be compiled in the future on the basis of a central theme register.

We've already started tweaking themed rubrics, but it takes time.
In addition, for the theme sections to be set up properly, a number of technical adjustments must be made, and you know how long the to-do list is. (although this is quite high on the list)

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • April 22, 2010 19:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

quote Then Catawiki splintered into thousands of little pieces, and nobody bathed with that.

I agree 100% with this and I also think that the global structure could be a bit tighter, just to make everything clearer.
There are now sections that are overlapping.
Example:
Trading Cards and Album Pictures (chromos).
Now Liebig is at Trading Cards and Panini at Album Pictures (when logically it should be the other way around). Artis-Historia is back in books.
A tree structure with main headings and sub headings would make it easier.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • April 23, 2010 01:03
added
prices
reviews

Beer mats are coasters.
If you provide them as a material cardboard, you can easily view them without being bothered by the other coasters.

And I just think that coasters are made of felt paper (and not cardboard)….
It is strange that they are not called beer cartons….

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 23, 2010 06:13

@ Eric,
Well, you don't think wrong in itself, but ... "my dictionary" says about this:
felt paper
paper, actually cardboard, partly made from textile fibers to make it soft.

See: http://www.mijnwoordboek.nl/vertaal/NL/NL/vil…

So it's not surprising that I'm talking about cardboard, but felt paper is more precise indeed.

@ Scam
There has been a considerable and extensive discussion in the past about whether or not to merge album pictures and trading cards (which I will not repeat here)
The conclusion was then that they were 2 different things, originating from 2 different traditions.

Panini has issued trading cards as well as album pictures.
I just checked the Panini album pictures, and there are no trading cards.

The Liebig cards are generally seen as trade cards (which we then put with the trading cards)
I know there are people who put them in albums, but they weren't released with albums.

If you want to discuss this further, you should create a topic at the trading cards, otherwise we will go too much off topic here.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • April 23, 2010 09:38
added
prices
reviews

Well, in itself you don't think wrong, but… “my dictionary” says about this:
felt paper
paper, actually cardboard, partly made of textile fibers to make it soft.

According to me, the Dikke van Dale is still the authoritative dictionary in the Netherlands. It reports: "Felt-like substance made from textile waste and old paper." Cardboard, on the other hand, is "thick, multi-ply paper".

So it is not the case that felt paper is a kind of cardboard.

So the difference is the addition of textile and I therefore think that "felt paper" is the only correct name for the material - and therefore perfectly logically in line with the name "Beer mats"….

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 23, 2010 10:04

Relax Erik, I already agreed with you.
I'm just quoting that site to indicate that I'm not the only one talking about cardboard.

This is a little bit that when I'm talking about a brick house, you correct me that it is a brick house.
And that if I agree with you, but note that I am certainly not the only one who speaks about a stone house, you will explain to me the difference between a brick and a stone in detail.
As if I wouldn't understand that.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • April 23, 2010 10:39
added
prices
reviews

This is a little bit that when I talk about a brick house, you correct me that it is a brick house.

Hi Arwin,
From this quote or the quoted comparison it appears that you have not fully understood it yet. Indeed, a "brick" is a further detailing of "stone". But the description "Stone" in itself would not be wrong.
But in the case of felt paper and cardboard, these are two different materials of different composition and therefore different properties. Felt paper is therefore not a kind of cardboard, but a different material. So in the description "Cardboard" not correct.

Incidentally, I think that the use of felt paper is also directly related to the function of a beer mat. Felt paper absorbs moisture better than cardboard.

You may find it a bit of a whimper, but the materials - if I remember correctly - go over all the collectibles. There are also stamps made from both cardboard and felt paper, and that is where it can make a significant difference.
Finally, I would also like to refer to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papiersorts

On this German Wikipedia, felt paper is classified under the paper types, and not under the cardboard types!

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 23, 2010 11:31

What exactly do you want from me Erik.

That I agree with you for a third time that it is better to talk about felt paper in Catawiki, while there are also many people who (wrongly) consider it to be cardboard?

Why are we having a discussion when we have already agreed?
I'm not contradicting you anywhere, am I?

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • April 23, 2010 12:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Nice discussion guys, but back to square one.

I think it is essential to know which direction CW is going in order to be able to give a sound opinion about the design.
Rene and Arwin (I have the feeling that you have something to crumble), I look at you for a moment. These are very fundamental choices that are better made now than at a later stage with all the emergency repairs and overtime for Marco, Rene and anyone else.
I personally can agree entirely with Arwin's line; a clear, well-founded basis.

Show original message
  • 469 messages
  • April 23, 2010 13:03
added
prices

Paper, canton… all wood pulp =)

Good… as I understand it now, Catawiki wants to clearly separate the item categories from the theme, but infer the theme from the item categories.

Then I assume that everything Disney comes under the theme Disney, but is certainly also in the item categories.

Giving names to the categories is not easy, I think. Although you can deduce that from the item.

VAT, is the Other section also completely disassembled?

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • April 23, 2010 13:59
added
prices
reviews

@Arwin
I felt that my message had not yet gotten across properly. Good that we are on the same page. Discussion closed :-)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 23, 2010 14:02

@ André,
Indeed.

The remaining section is for items that you cannot put anywhere else.
If there are enough items of a certain kind, they will be used to create a new section.
The remaining section will therefore probably never disappear completely.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • April 23, 2010 14:06

@ Chevy,
That much to crumble in the milk is not too bad It is more that I had an extensive discussion with René about how Catawiki could best put together, and I offered to help set up the central theme register.
In itself you are right that you and others have the right to know how things will be set up in the future, but the point is that many things can still go in different directions.
Then we can put things on the forum, but that in turn raises all kinds of expectations that may never be fulfilled.
Emergency repairs will not be too bad.
If you want to know more, it might be better to email René.

It is also more up to René to tell things like that.
Unless René is happy with me here extensively “knocking out the door” of course.

Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • April 23, 2010 14:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I understand that, Arwin, you cannot predict the future at the most, you can anticipate it. So even then it can eventually develop in a different direction. What I do find important is; the issue of designing the theme register is now before us. Make a choice and put it down as an unsatisfactory fact or let a number of people look at a number of scenarios based on their expertise and make a decision based on that. I assume that there are enough people on CW with a good brain and a beta background.
I also want to think along with my 2 brain cells (if it works).

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,268 messages
  • April 23, 2010 17:22
added
prices
reviews

There will certainly be a central theme register. We have indeed already discussed this extensively with Arwin. The point is that it is not the only thing we want to achieve in the short term. Interesting idea to develop the content with more people in the future. In particular, the conversion of the current theme-like fields to a single list will be quite a big job. I will come back to how to work on that together.

I totally disagree with that choice.
There is liquor in those thumbnails, so it's strange that they don't appear with the drink.
I do not think that the collectors differ from each other.
If we start to think along that path, all the sections will eventually fall apart Then Catawiki shatters into thousands of little pieces, and no one is bathed with that.

I think Arwin certainly has a good point here. It seems to me best to place all bottles regardless of size in the alcoholic category. It must then be possible to select on the miniature bottles.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 43