4of 4
  • 1 message
  • December 20, 2014 13:19
December 20, 2014 13:19

Dear Colleagues,

It is noticeable that articles and items are regularly offered, which are not of what is claimed than they should be. New items or objects are listed as antiques, sometimes with an estimate from the auctioneer. Recently with a lot of so-called tin Christmas ornaments that would have been produced in the 1940s / 1950s in Germany, with the manufacturing hallmark 'ZZ Germany'. It happens that I offered similar ornaments for sale at one of the Christmas fairs of the past years, selling price between € 10 and 15, depending on the size, among others. These tin pendants come from China and can be bought there for next to nothing. They were previously offered as antiques and there is a warning about this on the German collection sites. An experienced tin toy collector immediately sees the difference, everything is new that radiates from it. The company 'ZZ Germany' did exist but never made these tin ornaments. The ornaments themselves are nice, but offer them as new.

I have tried several times to contact the auctioneer Marte Westdijk, but there is no response to emails.

For a long time I tried to get an answer via the general info point Catawiki and there one Dorien, (16 September last) would dive in and provide clarity, until now 'radio silence'. Hence this attempt.

I will certainly consider whether I still want to offer items when there is arbitrariness and incompetence with regard to articles to be assessed. I hear the same sounds from colleges, fair and antiques market. It is also noticeable that the so-called threshold of € 75 that an article should yield, given the item, is often guesswork. I believe that under the pressure to make as much turnover as possible, the auctioneer sometimes believes it.

Please have experience with counterfeiting and strange valuations.

With Fr. gr. Lucas

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 127 messages
  • December 20, 2014 18:42
prices

In the comic auctions, slightly less than half of the lottery tickets offered do not reach the limit of 75 €, on the other hand there are people who claim to have strips that can easily achieve this, but which are not accepted.

I also do not know what the auctioneer is based on. I already know about a comic by the Red Knight that is not offered on the internet for less than € 20, but according to the Catawiki catalog, that comic is worth € 3 in good condition. (I've already made a suggestion to have this changed, but the administrators just don't respond either).

Is an auctioneer basing himself on actual value or blindly following the Catawiki catalog? It can quickly make a difference whether or not something can reach the 75 € limit.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • December 20, 2014 20:13
added
prices
reviews

(I already made a suggestion to have this changed, but the admins just don't respond either).

The managers don't respond specifically to a particular price suggestion because they don't know which ones would be specific, there are sometimes thousands of price suggestions to deal with and they are just handled one by one, nothing more. And that answer has already been given once, so I don't understand why you mention this again.

Edit: with comics there are currently still 1232 price reviews to do... with books everything has been eliminated

Show original message
  • 127 messages
  • December 20, 2014 21:37
prices

And that answer has already been given, so I don't understand why you mention this again

I must have missed that answer . It is the first time that I read that there is so much backlog. Earlier it was reported that all suggestions were considered within a reasonable time.

So I will have a little more patience.

Show original message
4of 4