24of 24
  • 5 messages
  • April 14, 2014 16:30
April 14, 2014 16:30

Who can give me the golden tip how I find out the value of certain collections, including old / antique or 'normal' books (perhaps pleyade editions, I don't know), pewter, silver, antiques, art, glass etc. I do not want to pay hundreds of euros to an appraiser because I am currently without a job and income. Are there other ways?
thank you in advance

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • April 14, 2014 16:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Take a spot on the Vrijmarkt on King's Day ... Price everything at 1 euro ... The things that are sold first were worth the most.

In other words: I don't think there is any gold tip. And if there were, no one would tell it, because then the gold would start peeling ...

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • April 14, 2014 19:05
added
prices

@library

Your question is not difficult to answer.

You can find a lot on the internet through targeted search. The library is also a good source of information.

Continue to invest as much as possible in art and antique books. Then go to bed more often with an art book instead of with your partner :-)

I've been busy for 30 years now and in the end that investment in books pays off. But give it time and don't expect to know everything right away. It is also best to initially specialize and then slowly expand your field of interest.

Furthermore, it is a matter of gaining a lot of experience and visiting markets and fairs.

Everything is related to the passion and interest you have in the stuff. If you're just going for the money, it will go a long way. If possible, learn from someone who has already earned his spurs. Incidentally, there are interesting courses here and there to become more proficient in various subjects.

Success

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • April 14, 2014 19:56
April 14, 2014 19:56

Arco, that's quite an unprofessional answer and I don't expect it from an administrator :P This will make me look at Catawiki differently and I don't think that's desirable?
I'm asking a serious question and want a serious answer, this doesn't seem very professional to me. If I wanted to stand on the market, I would. I came into possession because unfortunately a good friend passed away.. that is scary enough in itself.

Artdecorations, thanks for your advice regarding the library and internet, but the rest, I can't do much with that, because I have a man, so I never sleep with a woman. And I don't feel like delving into art books either. I don't want to invest in it either, I just want to get rid of it. There are also art books, but also other collections and valuables, as I said. I want to get rid of the stuff as soon as possible, but at a fair price, in other words, for what the stuff is worth. There are certainly precious things among them.

Hence my serious question how do I find out the value of certain items.

PS please only serious responses!

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,917 messages
  • April 14, 2014 20:02
added
prices
reviews

I think Arco's answer is correct, the forum is not about setting prices.

Artdecorations will help you on your way.

But if we don't watch out we will become in a forum flooded with questions like this!

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • April 14, 2014 20:21
added
prices
info pages
reviews

My answer may have been a smiley, but deadly serious. You just have to get to work, think about it, try it out, look around. Trial and error, but in the beginning a lot of falling, I'm afraid ...

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • April 14, 2014 20:40
added
prices
reviews

Who can give me the golden tip on how to find out the value of certain collections

Patience and putting in a lot of time. If you want to get rid of something quickly, you will only receive a bottom price for it.

Much time goes into figuring out the value and comparing prices of similar items on internet sites, auctions, etc.

Show original message
  • 1,756 messages
  • April 14, 2014 21:56
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I want to get rid of the stuff as quickly as possible, but at a fair price, so in other words, for what the stuff is worth.

Contradiction in terms, you can get rid of it "quickly" or you can get rid of it "for a fair price", but neither is possible.

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • April 14, 2014 22:00
added
prices

@library And I don't feel like delving into it either. I don't want to invest in it either
Hence my serious question how do I find out the value of certain items.

Answer: If you don't feel like delving into it and don't want to invest in it, you won't find out the value of your stuff either.

You're going to have to wave your hands anyway.

good luck

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • April 15, 2014 11:28
added
prices

or you have a recognized appraiser come for a fee

or you put everything on the marketplace and put it on bidding

but you don't get a top prices

Show original message
  • 151 messages
  • April 15, 2014 13:12
added
prices

Doubted whether I would respond. Think that it is very difficult to get certain items sold at an acceptable price; especially when it comes to tin and glassware. That is a market that has become completely inundated. Tin used to be a present thing in many houses, but it has disappeared from the living room, which means that this market is completely clogged. Often only "the metal price" is given for tin. (Speak from experience, I was allowed to empty my mother's house .....) Glass is often very difficult to judge and very often it is not "old enough". to have value, moreover, you must pay attention to "glass" or "crystal". Silver also something like that, if no expert is allowed to use it, you will only get the "metal price" with silver or it must be silver coins. Often you can get "free" advice for silver from "buyers of gold and silver". If you do not agree with the price, you take the silver back home ..... Have you read it before in the comments: Selling is never a problem, however ... you have time? ......... Often it is also "what is it worth to the buyer ???? Oh, that stupid comic book ....... (to stay in my own love ...) desired.

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • April 15, 2014 20:12
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I don't want to pay hundreds of euros to an appraiser

I am asking a serious question and want a serious answer

I don't feel like delving into art books either. I don't want to invest in it either

I want to get rid of the stuff ASAP

at a fair price, in other words, for what the stuff is worth

PS please only serious responses!

In short:

It should not cost anything (not even effort) and it should generate a lot of money. Please spend a lot of time in formulating a serious answer.

Short answer:

Euhmmm ... no!

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • April 15, 2014 20:22
added
prices

+1

no work complain saw ahh enough time to sort out others

Show original message
  • 87 messages
  • April 15, 2014 21:25
added
prices

Well, it's that time again, the egos have to do their 'funny' say again (except for Swagman, who at least gives a serious answer) and someone who comes up with a - for her - serious question again quickly gets off the ground drill in. This way of answering is precisely the reason why I gradually get less and less respect for the whole Catawiki thing. Because you generally don't read either.

I don't want to pay hundreds of euros to an appraiser because I am currently without a job and income.

Being without a job (and therefore without income) is a perfectly justified reason not to take an official appraiser in hand.

no work complain saw ahh time to find out others

I find this comment downright low to the ground and insulting.

@Libraryopu: I think in your case the best way is to find an auction house near you. At many auction houses you can have your items appraised for free if you want to bring them to the auction and with some you can also send a photo of the object so that they have an idea of what it is about.

the south of the country and my regular auction house is the Middelburg's Veilinghuis. With them you can actually store everything, large and small values and in some cases they will also pick it up at your home if they have to be nearby. For example, in May they will pick up the art collection (ceramics and paintings) from my sister who lives near Apeldoorn.

Of course I have no idea what you have for sale, but don't count yourself too quickly rich. Something that was profitable a few years ago may now be out of favor. As Swagman says, there is almost no interest in tin anymore. Silver still is, but then it must be real silver and not silver-plated. Antique furniture is also much less profitable nowadays than a while ago and of course the condition in which the item is wrong also counts.

Good luck with it.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • April 15, 2014 21:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Because in general you don't read either.

I think we read everything fine, you know, but sometimes there is more in between read the rules than in the rules. You may not have an eye for that ... That is also possible. Right?

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • April 16, 2014 07:24
added
prices
reviews

@Tsjip

This way of answering is exactly the reason why I gradually get less and less respect for the whole Catawiki thing. Because in general you don't read either

some time ago I usually gave answers to such questions: what is this true, what is this, where can I sell it, etc. don't move a finger! after that in 99% you heard nothing more from the questioner (usually with everything on ZERO in the profile) he still put something in the Catalog because that was too much trouble.

between the lines that's exactly why

Show original message
  • 151 messages
  • April 16, 2014 08:19
added
prices

What is happening now was my doubts !!! Since at that time already a raft of forum visitors (I appreciate) had responded in the way that these kinds of questions actually deserved, but I still wanted to do my bit, unemployed and low income. However, we have not heard anything from the person concerned (bibloteekopru) and whether we will hear anything else is the question. It is entirely true that such questions have been asked many times, the nerds of the internet quickly found out that such items were already on MP. Now mud is thrown at people who have had their noses full of it for some time "what could this yield, preferably as much as possible?" So in the whole story I am actually the joker, look what Arco, Artdecortions, JozefK, Pegag and the rest say, is already coming out !! Hence, see Baronery's response. I still have a bicycle here (walked 60 km), it is in new condition, however 12 years old !! Is it still worth anything ??

Show original message
  • 429 messages
  • April 16, 2014 09:04
added
prices

@Tjip

I have the experience that small local auction houses do not always make the effort to research and appraise things and often even lack expertise.

That's why my advice to initially do research yourself via the internet and library. In nine out of 10 cases, you can figure it out yourself. And from the thrift store you can often buy interesting source books for little money.

So it doesn't have to cost much, just some common sense and initiative.

By the way, I forgot to mention that you can of course also go to a number of auctioneers on Catawiki, as long as you are willing to auction items.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • June 05, 2014 19:48
June 05, 2014 19:48

Thank you all who seriously responded to my question, I will definitely do something with it!

I stopped responding because I also happen the whole Catawiki I'm sick of it ! So I quit, what a dorky and pathetic thing here! Unprofessional too.
Before you ever get a response, you will be at the lots to be sold six months later, no, that's not for me. You have long since fallen out as far as I am concerned !!!
I hope you will soon fall into the trap.

(Deleted by moderator)

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • June 05, 2014 19:55
added
prices

here was a reaction to the poster above me that unfortunately the system doesn't understand or won't understand

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • June 05, 2014 19:58
June 05, 2014 19:58

(Removed by moderator - we try to adhere to decency rules here in the forum)

Show original message
  • 151 messages
  • June 05, 2014 20:47
added
prices

Have a nice evening!

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • June 05, 2014 20:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I miss Ted.

Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • June 05, 2014 22:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I miss Ted.

I'm still here.

Unprofessional too.
Before you ever receive a response, you are six months further on from the lots to be sold

On 14-04-2014 16:30:29 you post a question on the forum and 23 minutes later you already have an answer. Not the answer you want to get, but honest and open one that does not reflect false hopes. The subsequent responses also provide a clear answer to your question: there is no golden tip.

That was all almost 2 months ago and now you suddenly come out of nowhere with a lot of unfriendly language.

I think you have not fully understood the use of Catawiki. The administrators are all volunteers who share their knowledge with Catawiki and its users. Those administrators and other users are often willing to help someone with a question on their way. But what makes many of them a brother are questions such as 'what is it worth' and 'how do I get rid of my things without making an effort but for the main prize'. Yet they often still take the trouble to answer these kinds of questions and those are the fairest answers you can get. If the questioner does not speak up afterwards, they will know that they were right again.

With a bad head 2 months later, start calling everything rotten fish, you don't make yourself popular with that either. Take a sip of water, count to ten and read again what is written above. Maybe it will understand then.

Show original message
24of 24