8of 8
  • 30 messages
  • March 15, 2014 00:55

As I always want to protect people from others and also for myself, I have decided to give a little feedback about a number of auctions. I have seen that many buyers can distinguish well from counterfeit. But still

Lot 2; the fitting can be tightened with screws that are suitable for both flat and Phillips screwdrivers. These came into use at the end of the 20th century.

Lot 3; this microscope consists of an old pre-war part (with brass finish, yellow) and newer (post-war) parts that have an aluminum color like the objectives in the revolver. The previous owner has made adjustments for his own use, the accessories tell us

Lot 4; a very nice suitcase gramophone where unfortunately the original winding crank is missing and has been replaced by a recently self-made one. Not listed.

Lot 6; why is the Bauhaus period called? Lederhosen were also made at that time, but they also have nothing to do with Bauhaus.

Lot 19; I believe this is the second copy offered on Catawiki (otherwise it was at another auction). I myself found 2 of which the first had reasonably clear text (including Stuyvesant) and which I have now edited with text that cannot be read. Are there already 4 in 1 year? I'm starting to feel wet but could be wrong.

Lot 23; not stated that it is a replica. The rust is recent (very light in color) and even runs over the paint. Old tracks never look like this. Misleading (rust means old?)

Lot 30; these are not made of hammered copper, but pressed mechanically in 1 stroke. The one in the middle has more details and will be cast (as the seller says; of a different metal)

Lot 44; Travel alarm clock is not older than the 1960s-1970s

Lot 49; late 20th century

Lot 56; a recent replica described as antique.

Lot 57; Devo (r) tionalia. Not an Art Deco holy water bowl, but it dates back to the time when Art Deco items were made. Right cross; there is nothing “nicely fitted” because there is no fitting.

Lot 60; no photo of the back

Lot 67; Legend has it that he had to hit an apple on the head of his son and not on the head of his daughter. Surely there is a comic that confirms that. I mean that it really is a boy standing there, with the same skirt as Wilhelm and Wilhelm is not a girl.

Lot 68; is a replica, just like the Stanley compass from the previous auction

Lot 69; these holders are most likely made of bone, you can see that on the longitudinal vein at the bottom. Ivory does not have this characteristic. Ivory can be recognized by a diamond pattern on the short side

Lot 73; that dark wood is oak

Lot 76; brand new, may be mentioned

Lot 79; is earlier from the 1940s, Richter's sets often look older than they actually are

Lot 80; New Ray Indian? only the fenders have resemblance to an Indian, the engine block, the primary gearbox, the meter holder, the disc brakes, front fork, headlight set etc. are typical for a (stripped) Harley Davidson (pre-evolution) Electraglide. I know my classics.

Lot 81; made in the GDR can never bear the title Antique. After all, it is always from after the second world war. Ever heard of an antique Trabant from the 60s or 70s? Fortunately, the description also contains the word “old-fashioned”. What is it now?

Lot 85; Shipping only within the Netherlands, but then included in the shipping costs to the entire world

Lot 91; replica 1960s / 70s

Lot 92; silver on bakelite from around 1900? "Round" means a little earlier or a little later. When was Bakelite invented again? 1909. Lot is therefore later than from 1909

Lot 98; just new, the description leaves everything in the dark

Lot 99; just new, the description leaves everything in the dark

Lot 102; that guy in the middle looks very surprised as he reads the description J

Lot 108; fortunately already changed from a children's sink to a bidet. Imagine the situation, poor child…

Lot 109; nothing to do with shock therapy, is nice in the description

Lot 120; no gold lighter but gold-plated.

If I have made demonstrable mistakes, I am open to additional information and willing to apologize.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 36 messages
  • March 15, 2014 12:07

Again excellent improvements to approved lot descriptions. Artifacts cannot be hired by Catawiki as an all-round advisor ????

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • March 15, 2014 13:45

Thank you Bluesharp, but that might be a lot of honor. Lot 44, the travel alarm clock that I already had doubts about but could not get a definite answer yesterday, is still early 20th century

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • March 15, 2014 22:25
added
prices
reviews

I know that many replicas of these types of clocks have been made, we also have one in the family.

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • March 16, 2014 21:29

@Moritz

Replicas are unfortunately not a phenomenon of recent years. About 30 years ago I bought a small sextant of a beautiful quality on a market and it appeared from the sixties and seventies. Not a single recognizable faulty feature regarding age. Fortunately, I have learned a lot in the meantime.

I recently came across this site, with some recognizable pieces and also notice the wooden boxes

http://www.stanleylondon.com/

On a side note, lot 15; "EPNS" stands for Electro Plated Nickel Silver. IE base material is a copper alloy and electrolytic silver plated. An abbreviation used to date.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • March 17, 2014 07:12
added
prices
reviews

IE base material a copper alloy and electrolytic silver plated.

And this technique does not date back to the time when we still had wooden ships and steel men ..

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • March 17, 2014 17:47

@rikMooren

the technique is very old, from the middle of the 19th century. From the days of wooden ships and steel men :) but these sets are still for sale

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • March 21, 2014 22:43

is allowed a lock, new auction, new opportunities

Show original message
8of 8