Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • February 10, 2013 09:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Until recently, the period to change an item was unlimited. After some users had already deleted their posts, making many threads unreadable, Catawiki has decided to drastically shorten the period for making changes.

There was a discussion about this measure in another thread. That is actually 'not done' within a forum. Further discussion can be continued on this thread.

For clarity, I've entered all posts related to this topic here.

Book warehouse 1,342 message t

PS I see that it is no longer possible to edit older messages. Is that an intentional change?

Rene Catawiki Team 3,350 messages

PS I see that it is no longer possible to edit older messages. Is that an intentional change?

That has indeed changed. You can now edit messages up to 24 hours ago. This is because someone recently deleted all his posts, making many threads unreadable. Moderators can of course adjust if really necessary.

Book warehouse 1,342 messages

Do you mean 24 minutes? I can't edit my previous post now.

Marco Catawiki Team 862 messages

@Boekenmagazijn: Do you mean 24 minutes? I can't edit my previous post now.

It's working fine now. Just try.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • February 10, 2013 09:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

DisneyMeentwijc 1,212 messages

@Rene/CataWiki Team: Are W****r's texts really impossible to retrieve? All those ** or ... are so awkward in the discussions. Especially if it has been answered! You even left the texts of Koeriertje or Arwin (2 completely different people on the forum). Are the old texts no longer in the Database?

Ianus 23 messages

That has indeed changed.

Then I will no longer be using this forum.

Rene Catawiki Team 3,350 messages

@Disney, Just to be clear: we have not removed any texts. The thing is, if someone drastically changes or deletes their posts in old threads, they will become unreadable. That's a pity, also for everyone else who has responded in such a thread.

@lanus Why that? Are there specific reasons you want to edit old posts after 24 hours? A little longer would also be possible, but being able to make unlimited changes therefore causes the problems mentioned.

fazerco Catalog Manager 944 messages n

Are there specific reasons you want to edit old posts after 24 hours?

For example, to update the input instructions on the forum. I won't post them again either.

edit:

the ones that are there may now also be removed, because they are too old.

Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • February 10, 2013 09:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Ianus 23 messages

@ Rene,

Personally, I think that if someone wants to change their texts, they should be able to do so, even if that is after months. Not that I expect to want to adapt old texts of my own anytime soon, but this is a matter of principle for me. I just want to be able to edit what I write on a forum if I later regret it. And I don't want to have to beg a moderator to please do that for me.

I understand that you can no longer delete items that you enter, fine rule. But what I say on a forum I consider something personal. I want to be able to do what I want with it. Of course I understand that you find it annoying when topics get damaged, but for me personally that is secondary to having 100% control over what is said in black and white by me on the internet. Personally, I would never just delete messages from myself that make a topic unreadable. But I am now restricted in my freedom because someone once did. I don't expect many others to share my objections. But I don't really think it's possible in principle. For me personally, the use of this forum just stops here, and I'm not going to discuss that with all kinds of people, sorry.

pegag Catalog Manager 1,317 messages

@ Janus

If you suspect you're typing something you'll later regret, don't write it down the first time. An internet forum is no more noncommittal than what you write in an email or letter (something with a stamp).

I adjust my texts very regularly, but that is always a matter of minutes. Still discovered a typo or a sentence that actually doesn't quite run and could be better. None of these things change the message.

And even for the people who really type faster than they think, a day, or a few days if necessary, should be more than enough to get a text on the screen in such a way that you can 'live with it'.

Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • February 10, 2013 09:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Ianus 24 messages

@pegg,

Thanks for your opinion, but as I said:

I'm not going to discuss that with anyone else

For me personally, this is not a situation where I feel comfortable participating in a forum, and for me personally, only what I think counts in this case. Opinions of others do not matter in this case, because I decide for myself what I do or do not use, and I do that on the basis of my personal opinion, and not yours. If people would no longer want to address me personally, I can actually put my money where my mouth is, and continue to ignore this forum. Is also more pleasant for Pimpernell. (Sorry Pimpernell, hopefully this wraps it up)

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • February 10, 2013 20:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

But what I say on a forum I consider something personal.

Something that is personal to me, I don't pop on the world wide web.

For me personally, the use of this forum just stops here, and I'm not going to discuss that with all kinds of people, sorry.

Uhm, oops?

But I don't want to address Ianus personally at all. The first comment is just general: Don't put anything on the internet that you might ever regret.

And I like the second comment because a few people have already reported it and then finally respond again.

Show original message
  • 33 messages
  • February 11, 2013 10:33
February 11, 2013 10:33

But what I say in a forum I consider something personal.

Something that is personal to me, I don't bang on the world wide web.

For me personally, the use of this forum just stops here, and I'm not going to have a discussion with all kinds of people about that, sorry.

Euhmm, oops?

But I don't want to address Ianus personally at all. The first comment is just general: Don't put anything on the internet that you can ever regret.

And I like the second comment because a few people have already reported it and then finally respond again.

Everything okay with your Jozef?

Show original message
  • 1,755 messages
  • February 11, 2013 11:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Is everything all right with you Joseph?

Janus, Janus, I hope you realize that you only have 24 hours left to make this text perfect for the history books... :-)

....and that you are actually already too late, because I 'quoted' your original text :-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,329 messages
  • February 11, 2013 11:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Janus, Janus anyway, hopefully you realize that you only have 24 hours to get this text in perfect order for the history books ... :-)

The nickname is Ianus (with a capital I) and not Janus.

Show original message
  • 33 messages
  • February 11, 2013 12:00
February 11, 2013 12:00

Janus, Janus anyway, hopefully you realize that you only have 24 hours to get this text in perfect order for the history books ... :-)

Of course, but I was a little annoyed by Joseph's aggressive undertone, which made me feel attacked. And then I say something about it, even though I would rather not post anything on the forum. You don't agree with me either, but at least remain friendly, so I have no problem with that. The fact that I don't want to discuss it further is also because I just don't feel comfortable not having any more control. I'm a control freak, let's just stop there. Then people can come up with all kinds of wood-carving arguments, but at the end of the day I only use a forum when I feel comfortable with it, and that is no longer the case. That makes any conversation pointless to me. Another factor was that the topic was about something completely different, and I didn't feel like it would be about me. So hence my attempts to stifle the discussion, there is no anger or anything behind it.

And Janus or ianus does not matter to me as long as I know it is about me. Janus is just Dutch for the Latin Ianus, all a pot wet.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,329 messages
  • February 11, 2013 12:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

And janus or ianus doesn't matter to me as long as I know it's about me. Janus is just Dutch for the Latin Ianus, all a bit wet

That does matter, because there is also a user who has the nickname janus.

Show original message
  • 33 messages
  • February 11, 2013 12:09
February 11, 2013 12:09

Ah, I didn't know that.

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • February 11, 2013 20:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

aggressive undertone of Jozef

I also looked under myself, but I didn't find that tone at all. But now that the tone has been set ... let me bite off: "GRRRRR!"

Show original message
  • 33 messages
  • February 12, 2013 10:12
February 12, 2013 10:12

You deliberately seek to confront me through this forum, even though I have clearly indicated that I no longer wish to write on this forum. That in itself is very annoying for me. You also strike a tone that you yourself could imagine that I experience as unpleasant. Those two things together make me feel aggressively approached by you. I have not posted anything on this forum that could trigger this. You should of course know for yourself that you will now play the murdered innocence.

This is unrelated to the fact that I think you have distorted my words. By "personal" I meant "mine" and by that I wanted to indicate that I want to have access to it. It's not like I keep my diary on this forum. And my request to keep me out of the discussion is also perfectly normal because I don't want to write anything on this forum anymore, nor did I want that other discussion where all this was originally in, derail. It is quite annoying that you then start to draw all that into the negative.

What if a moderator would like to put a lock on this topic? This discussion doesn't go anywhere anyway, and then I can focus purely on entering items again.

Show original message
  • 1,909 messages
  • February 12, 2013 13:38
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You are deliberately seeking confrontation with me through this forum

No, because I clearly wrote in my first message: "But I don't want to address Ianus personally at all."

Then you also strike a tone that you yourself could imagine that I experience as unpleasant.

Not again, because I wrote in my second post: "...but didn't find that tone at all"

And apparently others felt this way by starting their response with: "Janus, Janus anyway ..."

It's kind of annoying that you're going to draw all that into the negative.

There is nothing negative about a warning that you should always be careful what you put on the internet.

approached aggressively feel by you

If you already feel that when someone lightens up on a subject and makes a joke ... Well.

For me personally, the use of this forum just stops here

although I don't want to post anything on the forum anymore.

I have made it clear that I no longer wish to post on this forum.

And that I was joking a bit with my second remark is apparently entirely justified, as you yourself show.

But apparently you interpret things differently than I mean. My apologies then as nothing is meant to be aggressive or challenging.

But on topic: I wanted to change my words for Ianus to get some very deep undertones out of it, but I couldn't anymore. How long is the timer currently set? 24 hours? Because if you get a response and only reread your own message the next day, the 24 hours will of course pass quickly.

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • February 12, 2013 13:56
added
prices
reviews

But on topic for a moment: I would have liked to change my words for Ianus to remove some very deep undertones, but I couldn't do that anymore. How long is the timer now set? 24 hours? Because if you receive a response and only reread your own message the next day, the 24 hours will of course quickly pass.

The timer is now set to 24 hours. Because it is not the intention to adjust a post in response to a response, the time has been taken so short.
Show original message
  • 33 messages
  • February 12, 2013 14:35
February 12, 2013 14:35

No Jozef, you deliberately address me.

That you say

But I don't want to address Ianus personally at all.

It only makes it all more annoying, because you are addressing me indirectly and I cannot respond directly to it.

I have made a simple request to put a lock on this, so that I can continue to be spared from this drivel and twisting, and I do not always feel called upon to respond in this forum. Apparently that's too much to ask. The irritation about this whole thing has now risen to a great height in me. If all this is so difficult I will take it into my own hands and cancel my account. Will I ever get rid of all this bullshit here?

Show original message
  • 375 messages
  • February 17, 2013 19:09
added

That you can no longer delete items you enter, I understand, fine rule. But what I say on a forum I consider something personal.

Is there not a "forum law" that says that what you post on a particular forum becomes the property of the forum administrator?

Show original message
17of 17