4of 4
AJFM
VIP
  • 32 messages
  • August 20, 2017 11:04
added
prices

What are the rules for labels actually. I notice quite a few differences, so findability does not increase.

To what extent is the intention to state brand / brewer + beer type under 'title'.

Under 'title' sometimes only 'Pils' or 'Old brown' or something. More logical would be brand name + type designation. So as the title "Lindeboom Pils" instead of "Pils".

But what about beers with a special name. For example Offspring from Primeval Soup. So according to my own thought above "Primeval Soup Offspring", but I put it in the catalog as "Offspring" because I saw something similar with other labels. And with some beers, entering it is also difficult.

Do we have clear rules for this?

The same breweries are also often different. So you have "Heineken" and "Heineken Br Amsterdam". I would suggest in any case not to use abbreviations because everyone will do this differently.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 71 messages
  • August 20, 2017 17:19
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@AJFM: It's true that there is quite a bit of variety in the collection of beer labels. We are therefore talking about more than 19,500 labels and sections that can be filled in freely instead of limited choices. This soon creates a large variation in recording data.

I have been the new manager since October last year and I am trying to introduce more structure and unity (The management had been at a standstill for more than two years while labels were being actively introduced.)

This updating is of course possible with the labels entered from that moment on, but there is still a large bulk of labels that will have to be revised over time. This takes so much time that I haven't gotten around to some kind of work instruction before.

We are currently working on at least equalizing the content sizes for all labels, but this is not very easy from a programming point of view. Let alone that we want to synchronize the brewery data, even if Mr. siebe-koster already very helpful with adjusting the brewery data of various brands of beer labels.

What I want to go to in the catalog is the following procedure:

Title : The name of the beer itself (without the brewery name), so Offspring

Brand : The name of the brewery, without indication of "brewery" or location, so Oersoep, Heineken, Jopen, Amstel, etc.

Brewery : The name of the brewery, without indication of "brewery" or "beer brewery" but with location. If the word brewery is not an independent word but an adjective, it can be used (eg Amelander beer brewery). In that case, the name is also not abbreviated. This is related to the selection on "Brewery". It is up to the administrator to determine what will be the correct annotation method in certain cases.

Eventually, all brewery names will be aligned, but it will take some time before we get there.

Country : The country where the beer originally comes from. It sometimes happens that a beer is brewed in another country under license from the brewery itself, but then the country of origin is decisive.

Type : The beer types have now been revised and supplemented with new sections. There is now plenty of opportunity to find the right section. In addition, all sections now contain a description of what is meant by the relevant type of beer.

The "Other" section will eventually be decommissioned as soon as it has been cleaned up. The section "Special beer" is only used for real specialty beers or when it is not clear to which other section it belongs. When in doubt, I use the internet, in particular Ratebeer and Beeradvocate or similar beer sites.

Alcohol percentage : The number with the % sign immediately after it and if necessary a comma in between, so 6.4% or 5%.

Volume : The volume measures are noted in cl with a space between the number and the cl and without a dot after it. So 30 cl or 25 cl

For the large quantities (mostly German, Czech and Polish beers) I use the (capital) L after the quantity, so 0.5 L or 1 L again without a dot.

Especially the American beers are often in ml and the English beers in fluid ounces. These beers are also listed in cl in connection with the selection criteria

In the specials section, the original quantities are stated in fl. oz next to the English flag. or ml.

Year : The year in which the beer was obtained.

Dimensions : The measurements in cm, first the width then the height of the label.

Details : Free to fill in.

The photos must be of clearly legible quality and it is the intention that the front label is entered first, the back label with all beer information second and the neck label third. This is also important for the Catawiki app because it only includes the first two photos in the beer label overview.

Based on the above method, we can arrive at a more consistent catalogue. This is especially important for the data that can be selected (brand, brewery, country, type and content) and for the images. The more information and clear photos, the better the quality of the catalog.

Finally, as an administrator, I can still change the last incompleteness or inquire about doubtful cases when approving the entered data.

In addition, all variable names and quantities will be equalized in stages so that there is no longer such a large mess of selection data regarding the same part.

So we are in full swing!

Show original message
AJFM
VIP
  • 32 messages
  • August 20, 2017 20:19
added
prices

Hello Ewald

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

And a number of clear starting points; There is still a lot of work to be done for that!

I will also adjust where I see it.

Just to be sure, the title: it may be that there are also only 'Pils' as the title ... Seems scanty, but if you intend, at least it is unambiguous.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 71 messages
  • August 21, 2017 22:10
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As far as the Catawiki Collectors app is concerned, the brand is important, not the title. This is because it is sorted by brand name, after which the titles of the chosen brand are displayed.

In the catalog, in the case of Heineken Pilsner, for example, will normally be searched for Heineken or Heineken Pilsner. Then all Heineken pilsners come into the picture.

Searching for pilsner or pilsner produces about 4,400 hits, but it is unlikely that only these few words are searched for. The brand name will soon be added as a keyword.

As far as I am concerned, the title will also say "Pils" or "Pilsener" if that is so emphatically on the label is and will be placed with brand the brewer's name.

And thank you very much for thinking along and helping to adjust!

Show original message
4of 4