Go to page
25of 32
  • 26 messages
  • December 10, 2013 19:56
added

In the past I have come across several films of which only an image has the front cover. I can get in there somewhere, it usually concerns old items where a second image was not required at the time.

More striking is the laziness of certain importers who simply add the same image twice from the front or a photo they found somewhere on the net. I have seen such a user who has done this up to 2 times on a total of 3 entries. Can anything be done against such practices?

This concerns the following items:

http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/dvd-video-blu-ray/dragers-media/dvd/3477803- an-american-werewolf-in-london

http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/dvd-video-blu-ray/dragers-media/dvd/3477881-american-pie-widescreen-edition

Also very little other data entered. Only goal was apparently selling.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 10, 2013 20:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Something is being done about this, very actively in fact. Believe you me!
Almost every day I check all new entries for DVDs for these kinds of phenomena. For example, yesterday I rejected about 50 new DVDs from one user. A waste of both his time and mine, but apparently he didn't read his email in between. By the way, he still hasn't responded. (;-)

Of course, things sometimes slip through, but that chance is very small.
Why do the items that you indicate still exist? Because there are already other users attached to it. And then we can no longer delete such an item in a normal way.

At the start of the DVD section, indeed only image 1 was required, unfortunately. You will sometimes find remnants of that. Fortunately, this has not been the case for a long time and the quality of the input has improved by leaps and bounds.

Show original message
  • 26 messages
  • December 11, 2013 13:51
added

Thank you for your quick response Arco. I understand that it must be a feat to review all those things and you do that very well. I also understand that you cannot just delete if it already has users attached. What I find unfortunate is that not one of those users wants to make the effort to add decent images themselves via change item. I will if I have the item in my possession. My gut says that some users add DVDs (and other stuff) to their collection if the image resembles anything they have in their collection and / or want to sell. Not everyone wants it all as accurate as I do, I understand that, but I find it frustrating at times. I think this is the classic seller-collector conflict.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 11, 2013 14:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It also bother me when I see an item with no or bad images and I see 10 users attached to it, but yeah ... The only solution is that you and I just buy all the DVDs out there. (;-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • December 12, 2013 01:10
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As far as I am concerned, you can American Pie edition also called disapproval! The photo is vague and there is very little information (again a seller, the cliché applies here).

What also bothers me is that people in their photo have a lot of background. If they don't have a scanner (nowadays there is also a scanner app for the phone?) Then at least photograph the DVD from a little closer. Zoom in or get closer to it or something!

In the entire CataWiki DVD Catalog there is no lack if it is missing. He will get in anyway. I don't have it, otherwise I would overwrite it. When it comes to buying all DVDs, I would also like to participate, then the costs can already be divided by 3! Who has won a state lottery and wants to pay for it?

Or can you see if there are already hidden collectors behind the American Pie stand? Furthermore, I also do not understand the collectors who have the copy in their possession do not improve / add the data and images? Isn't it clearer to themselves too? This also applies to the hidden collectors.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 12, 2013 01:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Pie is gone, but not because few fields were filled in. If fields are not required, we cannot complain that they are not filled in, although we personally have different thoughts about it.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • December 12, 2013 02:57
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Of course! It was also more of a personal response and I hope a response to the people who don't fill in enough.

You cannot oblige everything to be filled in, because people do not always know everything and I think the most important thing for the Catalog is a good image. But without a description, one copy is difficult to distinguish from the other one, which is slightly different. I hope that is clear to future importers too.

Show original message
  • 26 messages
  • December 12, 2013 11:41
added

I think the "stepmotherly" treatment of this rubric by certain importers also has to do with its popularity. I do think that films are popular with quite a few people, although as a collector's item it also suffers from the new forms of availability, including via streaming, downloads, etc. On the one hand, I am for the new media, but on the other hand I would regret it to no longer have physical carriers for my film collection. I always fear that one of my sometimes not so easy to find films from my collection would suddenly become unavailable.

And on the other hand, the fact is that there are also many other sites where films can be sold. I have already bought everything through CW, but mainly comics. I have never bought films here, mainly because the offer is too small or because I can find DVDs much cheaper elsewhere.

It would also help us a lot if there were some more sales / rental sites who also presented the back of their DVD cases. You will almost always find the front, almost never the back. Very unfortunate, because it is more often on the back that you can notice the differences. Sometimes it is in very small details. Now for me it does not have to be worked out down to the smallest details, but you sometimes have boxes of which the front cover hardly differs from version to version, but the content does. If I know that there are 1-disc and 2-disc versions of a certain movie, I would have liked to know (especially if I wanted to buy). Specifying a barcode can also help. You can also easily look up which film and version it concerns via that code. And I think all DVDs have a barcode anyway.

Well, if I have an original DVD in my possession and see that it has already been imported on CW, I will add to this. I did that with my entire DVD collection (took me a few months, because there were a lot of them not yet, of course you have that if you regularly buy movies through ebay or Amazon lol) which is still growing. I can only hope that other movie buffs like you will do the same.

And who knows maybe within 5-10 years DVDs and Blu-rays will get a bit more collectible value ...

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 12, 2013 12:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It is indeed sometimes very difficult to find the correct version on sites of producers etc. to confirm that our information is correct. They handle this quite carelessly. Many items disappear from their sites after a few months and they usually do not do an archive. So you are often dependent on fan sites, but there are not always backsides there either. And the difference is sometimes only in one line of text or in a logo more or less.

Some videos and DVDs (e.g. Heathcliff and An Inspector Calls, often only because they were only available for sale for a short time and then out traded due to rights issues) are worth "gold," but most stuff is worth less than half that purchase price, sometimes even less than that after you buy it. Within a few months everything is already in the ramsj. Values do not interest me, but that makes it difficult to enter or assess catalog prices, I can imagine.

Show original message
  • 7 messages
  • January 11, 2014 20:23
added
prices
January 11, 2014 20:23

It is a bit blunt to say, like Johan, "that not one of those users wants to make the effort to add decent images themselves via change item". It is done, but unless you regularly check those items, you will not see that it has been modified. Johan himself indicates that he then completes an item and there are several collectors. As a collector, you will not immediately see if an item you added in the past is no longer completely filled in and has two images.

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 11, 2014 21:30
added
prices
May 11, 2014 21:30

Can someone remove/disapprove the images of 1048019 ? (version 6)

Has the 2000 version been made into a 2007 version. And the 2007 version is already in the catalog.

Show original message
  • 2,403 messages
  • May 11, 2014 21:57
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Custom, thank you

Show original message
  • 800 messages
  • May 15, 2014 02:08
added
prices
info pages

Sometimes I want to add other photos, but I don't have a cover for some films and that may be true for more collectors.

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 15, 2014 09:18
added
prices
May 15, 2014 09:18

Why would you want to add something you don't have?

And especially for the images, clear rules apply. And with every new entry there are already two images. If you don't have a cover yourself, you can add it to your collection. And then you can also place three images with your own copy.

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 15, 2014 14:08
added
prices
May 15, 2014 14:08

I have another one, and this one has been approved as well.

940843 version 5 fig. 2 Introduced as 2006 version, replaced by 2001 version and just left 2006 for year of carrier. Also pay attention to the yellow bar of the 2006 (intended for sale and rental), which is not there with the 2001. A clear difference.

I myself have the 2001, which I can enter. Only the images can be removed, the data is all the same, including the order no. and eannr.

Then Josey Wales is uptodate again.

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 15, 2014 14:10
added
prices
May 15, 2014 14:10

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • May 15, 2014 15:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes, go ahead, because this is a mistake I can't undo.

After your new entry, I will inform the people who hang on it.

Thanx!

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 15, 2014 17:02
added
prices
May 15, 2014 17:02

Then we have two from 2001. So I did it differently. The 2006 now has the correct images (1 and 2) again. If you like it that much, I will still work away image 3 (blank). Nobody needs to be informed either. And before going into 2001 after that.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • May 15, 2014 17:41
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Since you don't have 2006, I planned to ask the original importer (I know them from somewhere ... (;-)) to re-post them. I hadn't included that in the speed of my posting, so I understand your confusion. The 940843 remains just 2006 and you enter 2001. I email the users and then everything is okay again?

We never allow copying images from Catawiki. And you don't have to make images blank. I have deleted image 3.

Users should be notified anyway, because there will be some who put the item in their collection before the erroneous change, but perhaps a few only afterwards.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • May 15, 2014 19:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I will also email the person who posted the wrong images, because he has another version! I'm going crazy!

Show original message
  • 13 messages
  • May 15, 2014 19:23
added
prices
May 15, 2014 19:23

You're right. It was more of an attempt to restore the original images. But then this is not allowed at all 4576675 image 2 comes from 1937879 . I have already e-mailed about this once. Or a small sticky sticker justifies a new entry?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • May 15, 2014 20:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, deleted. Earlier message will still be in overflowing todo folder ... (;-)

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • September 13, 2014 01:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I wanted to start the discussion here about importing the images from a DVD/Video/Blu-ray or other media. Since this topic is about the images of the entered items, I thought this would be the right place.

I understand from an administrator that they prefer to see only the part of the inlay that you want to see on the front and back of the item. So basically like this one and this one . I think that this makes it difficult to see what kind of item it is, because then you can see many of the same items in an overview. This is especially the case with series, I think.

However, if you show the entire item like this and this one, you often immediately see what kind of item it is. With video tapes, for example, you can immediately see whether the box is transparent, black, white or another color. Blu-rays are therefore easy to see, but strangely enough everyone places the entire box there (with a blue border). With DVDs you can see in the overview which packaging something has. That way, a collector doesn't have to go through all those items right away to look up his version (I also have it with comics, but you really have to check the backs there!)

Rules belong to a Catalog and therefore also to CataWiki, but everything can be discussed with progressive insight, provided good arguments are given, I think.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • September 13, 2014 11:16
added
prices
reviews

I also think that the entire item should be shown, so you don't have to wonder what the box looks like.

With CDs you have Ryko disc, which has exclusive green boxes, if there are so a CD is presented in a 'white' transparent box, you immediately know that it is not original.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • September 13, 2014 14:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It was once decided to align this with the section Records and CDs, because there was the same question with CDs. This is not just some 'changed insight' that we can apply from time to time, turning things 180 degrees for tens of thousands of objects. The basic choice has been made and we are building on it.

How do we deal with it in practice? With and without packaging is allowed. Figures 1 and 2 changing from 'with packaging' to 'without packaging' is encouraged. The other way around is always rejected. Collectors who absolutely want to see what the packaging is in their collection can use their own three images for it, just as shops can.

If there is something special going on with the original packaging (eg. a special unique color box), it is intended for this in the catalog in Figure 3, and it can also be mentioned under Specialties. In those situations, such an Image 3 is always preferable to showing an unfolded inlay or the carrier (s), although it is of course quite possible (for some perhaps with cutting and pasting work) to show all components in Image 3. .

Show original message
Go to page
25of 32