Go to page
25of 40
  • 84 messages
  • July 10, 2014 09:41
added
prices

Suggestion for a new genre: V-scrolling.

Side-scrolling already exists, V-scrolling is common in shoot'em-ups.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • July 10, 2014 13:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I suppose you mean that you mean a video game where the image appears from top to bottom or vice versa? That's what I imagine with side-scrolling, but in a horizontal way, very similar to a platform game.

When the technique of sliding sideways on a shooter (usually the ALT / CMD button and a left or right cursor), it is only a technique and not a genre. After all, it is already among the shooters. Do you have any examples of video games where V-scrolling should be a genre according to you?

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 10, 2014 15:06
added
prices

It's purely about how the levels move through the game. Examples of v-scrolling shooters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twe2uKsWxqE

As far as I am concerned, it adds something to the genres. V-scrolling is also a well-known term in the gaming world.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • July 10, 2014 17:38
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Yes I meant that kind of scrolling too! The main character remains in the same image and can only move in it, but the background moves from top to bottom.

Nice example video and reminds me of the times when I played behind the gaming machines, because only there I know the shooters from the example of. I myself was a big fan of 2 games on the machine, but I don't remember the names. 1 was with an army helicopter and another was a version of Space Invaders, where you always had to beat another big boss at the end.

I think there are also several racing games that are also of the genre of V-scrolling. And often the older games. Of the horizontal scrolling games (Side-scrolling) I can personally only think of 1 number 1, that is Zaxxon, but that is not what this topic is about.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 10, 2014 20:03
added
prices

1 was with an army helicopter

This one might be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzD81DjnLl0

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 18, 2014 20:30
added
prices

Otherwise, let's replace side-scrolling with h-scrollling and add v-scrolling. Then I have that in order.

I also miss 'bat and ball'. Classics like Pong, Breakout, Arkanoid and Krakout should now be classified as 'action'. I think they have the right to their own genre.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 19, 2014 19:44
added
prices

And while we're adding:

Isometric (or Angle). Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zY_MKCqik

And let's use Beat'em up for the brawl games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and change Fighting to Fighting Sports so that we can include martial arts under that.

And I find it a bit strange to mix Dutch and English terms for the genres. Let's do everything in English, since the English terms have already been embraced in the Netherlands.

So as far as I'm concerned the list can be (including some corrections of spelling and style errors):

2D

3D

Action

Adventure

Beat 'em up

Card, board, gambling

Compilation (instead of Collecting)

Construction

Digital pets

Education

Family, Party, Mini, Fitness

Fighting sports

First-person

H scrolling

Hack and slash

Horror

Interactive movie

Isometric

Lightgun

Management

Massive Multiplayer Online

Maze

Music

pinball

Platform

Point and click

Puzzle, Shape combination (instead of Puzzle, Trtris style games)

Racing

Rail shooter

Real time (instead of Real time)

Role Playing Game (instead of Role Playing Games)

shooter

simulation

Sports

Stealth

Strategy

Survival

Text-based (instead of Text game)

Third person

Turn-based (instead of Turn Based)

Trivia (instead of Quiz, Brain Games)

V scrolling

Virtual life (instead of Virtual life (Sims like game))

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 20, 2014 13:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews

First changes I would like to make:

Side-scrolling - & gt; H scrolling (isn't Horizontal scrolling better for less experienced users?)

Add V scrolling (or Vertical scrolling?)

Add bat and ball

Fighting - & gt; Fighting Sports. So I would like to be notified when this has happened.

Does anyone see bears on the road?

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 20, 2014 13:55
added
prices

Horizontal scrolling and Vertical scrolling is fine in my opinion!

I will get started with the Beat'em ups and will notify me when everything has been transferred.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 20, 2014 14:40
added
prices

Fighting - & gt; Fighting Sports. So I would like to be notified when this has happened.

Incidentally, this is not an hour's job; there are quite a few errors in the classifications and I want to correct everything immediately.

I will report when the job is done.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • July 20, 2014 23:54
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I would say sign up as an administrator! We don't have many administrators for video games at the moment and still a lot to manage, review, change or disapprove. Any help we can get is welcome. Send a message to Ted. I'll answer your suggestions in a minute, but prefer horizontal or vertical scrolling than v or h scrolling. For the reason Arco also mentions.
Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 00:03
added
prices

I received an invitation from Ted today. To be continued!

Horizontal scrolling and Vertical scrolling is fine.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • July 21, 2014 00:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews
What I also wanted to mention is that it now seems as if we have not thought about this for a long time! That is not the case, because there have been long discussions on the forum about the genres. But we are of course open to suggestions to make the CataWiki Catalog clearer and clearer for users. I think the genres are in Dutch because this is the Dutch CataWiki Catalog. In English this is of course in English. For some terms, however, we do not have a good Dutch translation and then the English term remains (Adventure cannot be translated as Adventure because Adventure is a generally accepted Dutch genre, just like racing (speeding;)?)). comments about your list: I find Trivia a little too unclear for beginners, just like just Virtual life. People entering or changing something should be able to immediately see and understand what something means. I look forward to seeing the many contributions to your management both here and in the admin forum. Best regards from a PC video game manager.
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2014 00:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hi Disney,

Arguments you mention are exactly the reason I didn't implement the rest of the naming suggestions. Let's have a look and compare first.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 10:19
added
prices

What I also wanted to say is that it now seems as if we haven't thought about this for a long time!

This thought had not occurred to me.

About the genres:

1. I can be at peace with Arzo and Disney's comments.

2. Please correct some spelling errors:

Real time instead of Real time

Turn based instead of Turn based

3. Let's at least name Puzzle and Virtual life in the same style, so:

Puzzle, Tetris style

Virtual life (Sims style)

4. 'Text game' is a bit strange if it doesn't say 'game' anywhere else. I think everyone at Text-based knows what is meant.

5. What is the purpose of 'Collect'? I thought all compilations fell under this (I put them under it myself), but I can imagine that people will also place completely different things here. Hence my suggestion 'Compilation', or on closer inspection therefore 'Compilation'.

6. Please 'Horizontal scrolling' and 'Vertical scrolling'. Agree with Arzo and Disney that this is clearer for the less experienced users.

Show original message
  • 1,354 messages
  • July 21, 2014 12:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews

5. What is the purpose of 'Collecting'? I thought that all compilations were listed below (I put them in there myself), but I can imagine that people will also post completely different things under this. Hence my suggestion 'Compilation', or on closer inspection so 'Compilation'.

This refers to Pokémon type games (collecting pets). Compilation has a different meaning.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 14:13
added
prices

I suspected it was something like that. Is that worth a genre of its own? Is it not to be classified under Strategy in combination with something else? I am not familiar with those games in terms of content.

Compilation seems indispensable to me, even if it is not a game genre. Otherwise, with a compilation of 10 games, you might have to assign 10 genres to one object.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2014 14:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The latter is indeed the intention, otherwise those collections will not appear in any genre, while there are games of such a genre.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2014 15:02
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Made some minor changes to the genre names. Can interested parties have a look?

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 15:28
added
prices

Looks a lot better.

Would like to add Vertical scrolling.

And please Flipperen instead of Flipper, since the latter is not a separate Dutch word (exists only as a conjugation of the verb). After all, the Racing genre should also become Race.

And this way you prevent games like Ecco the Dolphin from ending up in this section. ;)

A compilation is a small collection in itself. Surely it cannot be that collectors cannot simply search for these kinds of collections?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • July 21, 2014 15:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What I mean is, if we add Compilation there is a big chance that the genres will not be filled in further. A compilation with Tetris will then not be visible if you filter by genre Puzzle.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 16:33
added
prices

There is certainly something to be said for this. And it is important that the users continue to fill in that information.

Okay, then we'll keep it in the Details field for now. I will remove the edited / imported compilations from Collection.

And I will report as soon as I have finished the Fighting and Beat'em up sections.

Show original message
  • 84 messages
  • July 21, 2014 16:57
added
prices

While I'm making the adjustments to Fighting and Beat'em up, I notice that I'm missing one more option that can really add something to the genres: Futuristic (or possibly Fantasy).

This can make a clear difference between games that are still in exactly the same genre, but are a world of difference in terms of experience, e.g.:

F1 Grand Prix and F-Zero (both racing)

American Football and Speedball (both sports)

Age of Empires and Starcraft (both real-time strategy)

But it can of course also make a more subtle distinction, e.g.

Double Dragon and Rise of the Robots (both beat'em up)

Show original message
  • 523 messages
  • July 21, 2014 20:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

For me, Speedball is part of sport. If you put it in a different genre, then all sports can be in their own genre (maybe something to be said for that too).

Show original message
  • 2,406 messages
  • July 21, 2014 21:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I think Vinjat means more as Futuristic and sports, so in combination. But whether they will use it that way.

With a lot of games it is difficult enough to associate a genre with it. So the longer the list, the more difficult it will be for importers.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 40