1of 1
  • 614 messages
  • February 04, 2011 20:00
added
prices
reviews

When looking at the offer, I unfortunately saw again that a lot of material is being offered under the wrong number. The 1 guilder 1898 of the Netherlands as 'Kroningsgulden', numbers 30a / 33a as 30/33 etc. To make it a bit visual for the comic book fanatics: this can be compared to offering a cheap reprint as if it were a rare first edition.

Sometimes ignorance, sometimes laziness, sometimes ..........?

I also saw stamps MNH 'with a little sticker' or with a whole bowl of rust.

MNH = MNH is as sold by the mail.

I want to do everything I can to prevent the stamp section on Catawiki from becoming a rubbish bin. Buyers must be able to trust that what is under MNH is really MNH. And after having opened the item expectantly, don't have to find out that the stamp is not worthy of the grade 'MNH'.

Therefore two calls to sellers:

Do not post material if you do not understand it or if you do not know differences between certain stamps

Do not post defective ** or inferior seals. Sell these elsewhere (or better: not at all)

For expensive stamps it is advisable to offer a Muijs, NVPH or NVPV certificate. The Dutch En Face, for example, is a series that is much re-gummed. Hardly discernible by the layman.
In this way you give the buyer the security of buying an original MNH and a buyer is quite willing to pay for it. Really rare foreign stamps require a relevant certificate, especially if they are stamps of which many prints or forgeries are in circulation.

Catawiki has a very transparent pricing system, fraud gives a wrong impression of 'competition' and people who offer good things deserve a fair price comparison. Buyers who search under a certain quality should also be presented with that quality and not all kinds of ifs and buts from which it appears that the stamp is classified under MNH, but that is nowhere near.

And buyers: There are advantages, fairytale prices do not. If you see MNH for 1940 offered for 30% or less of the catalog value, a bell should ring.

** crack, missing tooth (s), discolored, repaired, pinprick, crease, rust, etc.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
1of 1