10of 10
  • 2 messages
  • January 02, 2011 17:35
January 02, 2011 17:35

I think a stamp from 1960 is missing from the USA catalog, namely that of the eighth Olympic winter games; there is also no space included there with the indication: "no photo available".

Am I wrong or should something be 'adjusted'?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,755 messages
  • January 03, 2011 14:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

There are still more missing though. ;-)

During the weekend I tried to get my father 'to Catawiki'. But when the first three totally random stamps (including a USA airmail stamp) that he wanted to look up by way of a test, none of them turned out to be included in the catalog (and we searched well) it was immediately end of story.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 03, 2011 14:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Tie to his chair, but in such a way that he can barely reach the scanner.
And enter that bite! (;-)

Your problem is nothing compared to my father.
I even have to get that on the internet ...

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • January 04, 2011 14:08
added
prices
reviews

I think the USA catalog is missing a stamp from 1960, namely that of the eighth Olympic winter games; there is also no space included there with the indication: "no photo available

For the United States, I deliberately chose to immediately upload a large part of the database. That is partly without images, but they are currently being cut out and welded in batch.

There are still more missing though. ;-)

I tried to get my father 'to catawiki' over the weekend. But when the first three completely random stamps (including a USA airmail stamp) that he wanted to look up as a test turned out none of them were included in the catalog (and we did a good search) it was the end of the story.

Until 1998 it completes with a small exception. If several are missing, I would like to see a list of them. (That's more constructive than just stating that 'something is missing'.). I still think that it is mainly a matter of not searching properly Or the stamps are from after 1998. (The period 1998-2010 will be added shortly).

Perhaps your father should start with complete countries such as the Netherlands or Western Europe. If the first three random stamps are also 'missing', it is really the search technique.

Incidentally, Catawiki never claims to be 'complete'. That is of course the aim, but can often only be achieved over a longer period of time. By adopting a constructive attitude you can help to supplement the catalog further. With the postage stamps I try to lay a strong foundation as much as possible, which creates structured databases for countries.

Show original message
  • 2,398 messages
  • January 04, 2011 16:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

So I also searched for that stamp as someone does when he knows the year. And shockingly, that seal does not appear. I have noticed this phenomenon before in CW. There is no button that says show everything, curios is empty, so I wonder if there is a 'cap' in the stamps that only shows a certain number.

If I continue to select by theme (Olympic games), the stamp will appear. The question remains why this stamp does not simply appear with the search term 1960. Maybe something for the techies to watch.

Btw, I've voiced my concerns about searching for items before! Items are there but only appear after some fine tuning of the search engine. Which is another cause that duplicates are introduced.

Edit, if you search 1960-1960 there will be 39 stamps, only 1960 will search 37 stamps. Sorting by year instead of standard also gives 39 stamps.

Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • January 04, 2011 17:47
added
prices
reviews

The search function is certainly not working perfectly yet. We are now experimenting with a much better search engine. We'll get back to you soon.

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • January 04, 2011 21:31
January 04, 2011 21:31

There is only a section German Empire but after this time no mention such as the occupation zones by the Allies.

Yes, I collect the Bizone, because I collect this series Bauten 1948 and like to get in touch with people who collect this series in whatever form.

I try to identify the Kölner Dom in the values 25 40 60 and 90 pfg and the cheapest perforations and the associated watermark. Maybe a difficult word, but normal in our international exchange world. I think only the Flemings understand location

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • January 04, 2011 21:34
January 04, 2011 21:34

To Fazerco

When searching for a particular stamp, you first go to the catalog in question, which is only partially shown since the stamp filter is active (ie only stamps, blocks, and block sheets) or in the case of the catalog US 2968 of the 2992 items).

By pressing "select" you have all items (2992 of 2992).

Then enter the period from 1960 to 1960, press "select" again and you will see 39 items, including the controversial seal of the Winter Olympics.

I suppose you already knew all this, but you are right that searching could be a bit easier!

If you had searched the catalog from the beginning to 1960 you would not have found the item immediately, because it was not yet in the catalog entered by Collect-a-Rom.

The item was only introduced on December 17, 2010 and can therefore be found in the last part of the catalog! An additional difficulty for beginners at Catawiki (I speak from experience).

A little more explanation about the use of a catalog would certainly not be out of place to avoid that a lot of time is lost and duplicates are made of existing items.

By the way, I looked at how the "Cigar bands" catalog is structured, to compare: not everything is perfect there either: I think that searching by year is only possible per country or per manufacturer ... But what about the cigar bands without brand or year ?

Here the field "Themes / Motif" for example is certainly useful to reduce the chance of making a double.

Growing pains cannot be avoided of course, but it shouldn't last, especially if you have a lot of ambitions like Catawiki !!

Show original message
  • 499 messages
  • January 04, 2011 22:20
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ jo-ger

Have you already featured in the Allied occupation (in the G)?

Show original message
  • 2,398 messages
  • January 05, 2011 08:58
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ Tapir

Right, I now pretty much know what to do to find something. But as a 'new' user, I had a look at this, because if he knows the date he types in 1960 to 1961. And for 1 page of stamps (1960 is not yet a full page) you do not have to withhold any stamps, I think.

Show original message
10of 10