20of 20
  • 7 messages
  • November 06, 2010 18:25
added
prices
November 06, 2010 18:25

I received an E-mail from the Catawiki postmaster for rejecting a posted item ??

Question : Balloric or really coming from the Catawiki postmaster.

If really from Catawiki ...... then less clumsy, please. If not from Catawiki ... will more people receive this message and why? Is it about retrieving an e-mail address as soon as you reply?

============== QUOTE =============================

Dear monk,

Nice to see that you are active on Catawiki! Unfortunately, I had to disapprove the new item - Fishing - that you entered because the item is already in the catalog.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sincerely,

postmaster

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • November 06, 2010 18:42

Indeed, this is the standard message everyone gets when posting something already in the catalog.
Postmaster is his Catawiki name, he manages the stamps.
He is not "Catawiki's postmaster"

I often add where the previously placed item is, unless someone places a whole series of items that are already in the catalog.
Then that is too much work for me.

Administrators are busy, and importers can be expected to pay attention before posting.

Show original message
  • 7 messages
  • November 06, 2010 19:12
added
prices
November 06, 2010 19:12

Goodbye Arwin,

You can indeed expect importers not to enter items twice. On the other hand, you should expect administrators not to be a cause for concern.

The name "postmaster" in the email without a direct link to Catawiki or the posted item was suspicious to me. I also keep finding it awkward.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 06, 2010 20:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Actually agree with Monk.
To be honest, I think that Postmaster should not appear as a nick on Catawiki. I think there should be a blacklist that will be used when verifying new nicks when registering on Catawiki.

The name of the item - Fishing - is indeed mentioned in the postmaster's message. When it comes to a single duplicate, I almost always place a link to the item that is already there. Maybe it has a different name and then the importer of the duplication does not yet know where to look for it.

Show original message
  • 7 messages
  • November 06, 2010 20:19
added
prices
November 06, 2010 20:19

Goodbye Arco,

Thanks for your comment. I would like to give some more sincere advice.

I would advise Catawiki's administrators to work from the Catawiki domain when an email is sent. The mail from the administrator "postmaster" came to me via a private email address. Anyone can pretend to be a Catawiki employee ....... what can be trusted and what not ...

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 06, 2010 20:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I know what you mean, but we don't have a solution for that yet. The administrators are volunteers, so they only have a private email.
You are the 1st in 2 years who does not trust such an email, so I don't think there is an urgent reason to give this much priority.

Show original message
  • 58 messages
  • November 06, 2010 22:13
added
prices
reviews

When I review and such a standard email is sent, I try to indicate as much as possible with a link, what the item is that is already in the catalog. This way the user will find it again. I think this is the more important with stamps because all stamps within the same series can have the same name. It is also usually one of the many stamps that that person enters and indicate which country it is and which year can already make a lot clear, I think. The disadvantage is that it takes more time ...

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • November 06, 2010 22:14

The name "postmaster" in the email without a direct link to Catawiki or the posted item was suspicious to me. I also keep finding it awkward.

He probably has that nickname because mail is his collection area, he probably didn't think about it any further.

If we disapprove something in the administrator section, an automatic email is always sent, and it always has our own email address.
It would indeed be better if all of this takes place within Catawiki, but we administrators have no influence on that.

If it says under your name that you are the manager of a certain area, that also makes a difference.

Indeed, as Arco says, you are the first to fall over it.
But I do think you have a point, it should actually stay within Catawiki.

You can indeed expect importers not to enter items twice.

That can always happen, and it is okay.
I meant more that if one bets a lot of them twice, one is apparently lazy, and that I do not feel called to show them the other location for all items.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,755 messages
  • November 06, 2010 22:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If I disapprove a duplicate, I always provide the link to the original item.

1) It's not extra work, because I had to look up that page ninety-nine times out of a hundred to definitively determine the duplication.

2) The importer needs the link to be able to put the correct item in his collection or shop. In principle, I assume that he (m \ f) has done his best but has not found the item, because he has not searched in the right place for whatever reasons.

Incidentally, as Arwin points out, there are always people for whom you can make an exception to rule 2, but fortunately that is a minority.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • November 07, 2010 00:25
November 07, 2010 00:25

First I want to emphasize again - and this may not always be said in response to justified or unjustified criticism - that the administrators are generally doing a decent job despite the fact that they are still volunteers. It remains a hobby, but it can also become a burden that I don't wish anyone.

I agree with Pegag: it cannot be much trouble to make the link to the original item. I would even argue that the duplication to be removed should not be removed immediately but "freeze" and removed after one or two days with no response from the importer.

In the current situation, as an importer, how can you as an importer ask the administrator questions about the objected item if it is no longer present in the catalog?

An administrator is also not infallible and can also make mistakes or overlook something during the check (which of course will already have happened ...).

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 07, 2010 01:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I don't know how it is with Stamps, but with Comics it has happened to me only 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years that I have incorrectly rejected new entries.

Maintaining a whole administration by first parking all items that I apparently rightly rejected afterwards, waiting a maximum of two days and then throwing them away would have cost me loads of time and attention. And I prefer to put that in making improvements, etc.
Of course I apologized to the 2 or 3 importers that I have disappointed.

I do not know what the experiences of other administrators are.

What else you claim: administrators do a decent job DESPITE that they are volunteers, I don't get it. Since when, then, do volunteers normally do improper work? (;-)

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • November 07, 2010 02:23
November 07, 2010 02:23

To Arco,

Do you really think all volunteers are who you are? I know many volunteers who work when it suits them, who loudly proclaim that they are volunteers with their mouths but not in their actions, who then want to take credit and finally dare to say that the real volunteers who did the real work are fools.

Do you understand better now?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 07, 2010 03:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I know, but it only gets really crazy if you, as Catawiki, adjust your procedures and policies to those kinds of nonos.

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • November 07, 2010 08:40

If you reject something, is it not possible to automatically send all data to the original importer?

Then, especially when placed in the wrong section, not all information has to be searched again, if it is entered again, but in the correct section.

It is also clearer what has been rejected.
Only the name is a bit sparse for a stamp section (and some other sections).

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • November 07, 2010 08:54

1) It's not extra work, because I had to look up that page ninety-nine times out of a hundred to definitively determine the duplication.

This is how it works with the comics, but in the trading cards category I only have to check 1 in a hundred times whether it is actually a duplicate.
I can imagine that it regularly happens with the stamps that you know that certain series are already complete in the database.
Then always making a link does indeed become a tax, also because if something is entered in those sections, it quickly involves large numbers.

Show original message
  • 111 messages
  • November 07, 2010 11:46
added
prices

The question of why there are many duplicates is not discussed. At the moment there are only a few mandatory fields. The field is not number. Result: all stamps are mixed up and before you know it it appears after entering that 2 search sheets earlier the stamp is already somewhere. Solution: You can only enter with a mandatory MICHEL (the most used catalog) number. The programmer can then maintain that number sequence and a much better overview is created.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • November 07, 2010 12:05
added
prices
reviews

The only way in which stamps are currently properly sorted is the Catawiki / Collect-A-ROM number. This also has to do with the relationship between stamps, series and FDCs. This relationship is not contained in a Michel number. There are also other aspects that make your proposal absolutely impossible.

Apart from that, Catawiki will become an international catalog. American users use the Scott, French the Yvert. These collectors will never enter with a Michel.

We may have to clarify what is already complete. I also strive to import complete databases as much as possible. It contains all the numbers and structures to get the order right.

There is currently a lot of work on reviews. Daan, who does the reviews, and has done an incredible amount of work in a short time (compliments), however, does not yet have the rights to merge double stamps. And you cannot simply delete them because, for example, they have already been entered in a collection.

The problem with stamps is that they don't have a 'unique' name like comic books. This is a significant complication, especially from an international perspective.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • November 07, 2010 12:37
added
prices
reviews

The problem with stamps is

a. It's about a lot

b. They do not have a unique name

c. You should check very carefully that the item entered is not a variety.

This leads to a lot of duplicate entries, and requires a faster way of 'deduplication' and correction.

It also means that the manager must have a very broad and deep knowledge of philately AND must know very well what is broadly present on Catawiki.

Then you can intuitively quickly determine whether a stamp is POSSIBLY double.

The people who have such knowledge are scarce, and they must of course also have a lot of time at their disposal.

So if you think you have it all, don't hesitate to sign up as an administrator ....

You can also help set up complete country databases, which is the best remedy to quickly arrive at a complete and consistent database in the right order.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 499 messages
  • November 07, 2010 14:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews

First of all, my nickname has nothing to do with my status at Catawiki. Also not at all thought that this could cause confusion. I attribute the confusion more to the form of the mail, from private mail, without a Catawiki mark. Good idea Arwin if your administrator function is stated in the standard email.

I have no intention of changing my name. This is the only complaint I have had about this, is indeed a post term. Then as a comic book manager you wouldn't be able to use the nickname 'De Generaal' or 'Agent 327', because suppose you reject an item and a standard email with this name is signed ...

It would be good if more information was automatically added to the rejection emails, for example country name and year. Then the sender can quickly see what it is about and there is no need for an email exchange about this.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • November 11, 2010 20:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I do not agree with the monk about the clumsiness of postmasters mail, I myself am a part manager of Vietnam and when the postmaster pointed out to me that the stamps were entered incorrectly, he quickly, clearly and neatly explained to me how to do it better and according to the Catawiki guidelines had to, my compliments, Not sorting stamps per series in the same year, however, I also find very disturbing, unclear and ugly, hope that Eric can quickly put Vietnam (north and south) in order or explain to me how I can do it myself .

Show original message
20of 20