5of 5
  • 20 messages
  • October 02, 2010 22:00
October 02, 2010 22:00

Have come across a stamp from Brazil: 1265421 where the year 1887 .
I have also seen this stamp on: http://catalogue.klaseboer.com/vol2/html/ brazif… where the year is 1869 . The same stamp (200r). Namely have the same stamp but with 400 r , ( http: / /www.plaatjesupload.nl/view/2010/10/02/… ). So which year should I use now?
Can someone please sort this out for me?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 99 messages
  • October 03, 2010 21:55
added
prices

I am also curious about this because if I include the Michel guide, I will not find this stamp at all around and between the two years that are mentioned

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • October 04, 2010 00:25
added
prices
reviews

I don't think it's a postage stamp but a tax stamp.
I also gather this from the fact that the indication "Correio" is missing on the stamp.

Show original message
  • 20 messages
  • October 04, 2010 01:51
October 04, 2010 01:51

@ Erik, that's right, is a revenue stamp with a value added to it. The currency of Brazil was then réis (this is also stated on the stamp. (Réis is plural of real). Then it became cruzeiro (real) and now it is the real.

“Tax stamps do not belong in a stamp collection, although many stamp collectors are still interested in these stamps,” according to Filahome stamp site.

Great Britain also gave values to revenue stamps in the beginning.

So now do not know whether these stamps may be placed under postage / stamps?

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • October 04, 2010 12:30
added
prices
reviews

@Dear

With a value added

I don't think there is really a value (added later, looks like a two-tone stamp with the value added right away in the printing process.

So now do not know whether these stamps may be placed under postage / stamps?

No, revenue stamps should best be placed in a separate heading (separate collective heading). This could also include, for example, the Dutch fishing license stamps. In the USA , for example, hunting stamps are included in stamp catalogs, but that is not common in Europe.
Sometimes stamp issues and revenue stamps collide. A good example are the postage stamps of many English areas - these stamps have the inscription "postage & amp; revenue "(postage and tax). The high values in particular were really only for tax purposes. (sometimes used stamps do not have a value indication in stamp catalogs) Also the 1 and 5 pound stamps of Great Britain itself from the Victoria and Edward period were actually always used for tax purposes, for example you often see them with a beautiful central area around Jersey and Guernsey stamp. (were used on these islands to pay import tax.) Because they could theoretically be used for mail anyway, they are classified under the postage stamps. There are undoubtedly more examples to be found.

Show original message
5of 5