Go to page
25of 35
  • 14 messages
  • June 19, 2010 18:59
June 19, 2010 18:59

It really has become a mess. If one does not find the correct name of a country, a new country is soon created today. Very annoying actually to find stamps from different countries together under one country name.
Postage stamps and geography should be best buddies. Stamps and pictures is ……… ..

Take a country like Congo, always the same country, but named differently:
Independent State of Congo (1886-1908)
Belgian Congo (1909-1960)
Republic of the Congo (1960-1964)
Congo Democratic Republic (1964-1971)
Republic of Zaire (1971-1997)
Democratic Republic of the Congo (1997-)

While Congo also exists as a neighbor of course (incorrectly called Congo Brazaville) aka:
French Colony of Congo (1891-1903)
Central Congo (1906-1933)
French Equatorial Africa (1936-58)
République du Congo (1959-1970)
People's Republic of the Congo (République Goedkoop du Congo 1971-).

Is there no official database with the correct country names in the correct language from which to choose and which can only be modified by authorized persons ? ??
Require a country name in a specific language to be looked up or checked on Wikipedia ? ??

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 58 messages
  • June 19, 2010 22:31
added
prices
reviews

It's a mess like you say. I had already started to fix some mistakes but it is quite a lot of work to do for all countries.

The problem is that if there are stamps in a country with the wrong name (but the country with the correct name also already exists in the catalog), I have to change them one by one with the correct country name, so that they match the correct country. end up. If the correct country name does not yet exist, it is possible to change this to the correct country name in one go. When I do this I always check wikipedia for spelling and name. I fill this in for all languages directly.

I don't know if there is another way to change the country names but the way I do it now is a lot of work.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 20, 2010 01:31
June 20, 2010 01:31

In fact it should be and remain simple: We enter the stamps under the name of the country or territory mentioned on the stamp, which is most obvious to me, and this series of stamps ends the moment this country no longer produces stamps under that name.
Two extreme examples to make it perhaps even clearer:
Stamps of the German Reich with the inscription “Eupen” or “Malmedy” are seals of the German Reich and not of Belgium.
Stamps of Bavaria (Bayern) with the inscription “Deutsches Reich” are stamps of Bavaria and not of the German Reich.
On this basis, a purified and exact list can be drawn up of the countries (or areas such as the Saar area for which their own stamps were produced).
By the way, the instruction is clear when entering a new item in the field “Country / Territory”:
“State here the name of the country or territory as it was when the seal was issued”
I can imagine that it will be more difficult for postage stamps from China, Arab countries or the Far East ...

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 20, 2010 18:39
added
prices
reviews

I don't know if there is another way to change the country names but the way I do it now is a lot of work.

You don't have to, you can first change the name to something similar to the name it should be, and then merge them. Problem of course again if stamps are duplicated.

If you want to discuss what you want to do in advance - we work in one line.

I'm also going to use a lot of aliases, e.g. U.S.A. and United States. Otherwise things will go really wrong. I think that is why we should also introduce a forced list for the countries. It becomes even more of a problem when people add in different languages.

Simply the name on the stamp is not useful. Take Magyar Posta. I bet not half of the collectors know which country that is… and for Cyrillic, Chinese and Japanese characters that is not the method either.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 20, 2010 18:52
added
prices
reviews

Stamps of Bavaria (Bayern) with the inscription “Deutsches Reich” are stamps of Bavaria and not of the German Reich.

Well, it's not that simple! You are probably referring to the stamps of the German Reich with the imprint Freistaat Bayern. But vice versa, there are also Bayern stamps with Deutsches Reich imprint. These are stamps of Bavaria that were overprinted after the merger of Bavaria into the German Empire and were simply valid throughout the German Empire. Bavaria's own postal service ceased to exist on March 31, 1920. The stamps with the imprint Deutsches Reich appeared on April 6, 1920. It just goes to show that you cannot just follow the name of the country. there are stamps from Equatorial Africa that bear THREE different country names…
Incidentally, postage and service stamps often do not have a country name at all because they were only valid for domestic use ...

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 20, 2010 19:07
added
prices
reviews

Please state the name of the country or territory as it was when the stamp was issued ”

Will give you two more examples why that is not working well.
So take Bayern again. sometimes it says Freistaat Bayern as the country designation, sometimes Bayern.
Stamps from Norway usually show Norge, but sometimes also Noreg.
On stamps of DDR sometimes Deutsche Democratic Republik, sometimes DDR .
And there are countless other examples that make that a 'mess' too ...

Erik

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 20, 2010 19:07
added
prices
reviews

Please state the name of the country or territory as it was when the stamp was issued ”

Will give you a few more examples why that is not working well.
So take Bayern again. sometimes it says Freistaat Bayern as the country designation, sometimes Bayern.
Stamps from Norway usually show Norge, but sometimes also Noreg.
On stamps of DDR sometimes Deutsche Democratic Republik, sometimes DDR .
And take Belgium (yes!), Sometimes Belgium, sometimes Belgium. France: France or République Francaise.
And there are countless other examples that make that a 'mess' too ...

It seems most convenient to me to follow the NL designations and where that can be confusing to work with aliases in the search register. Great Britain can therefore be found under United Kingdom and Hungary can also be found under Magyar posta. When importing a closed list, in case of deviations, consult the administrators first.
There are now also much more difficult errors, eg stamp of country X issued on the occasion of Olympic games in country Y introduced under country Y.
Even more convenient is structurally building and uploading databases as quickly as possible, which is faster and delivers a much tighter result. I really hold my heart when there will soon also be input from English, Spanish and German users. It will then take a lot of effort to make it a logical and consistent whole.
Everything that happens within 1 country or worse within 1 series threatens chaos that I would like to be one step ahead. If you want to help with the structural construction and / or cut scans: register with me quickly.
FYI: there are a lot of databases available that can be loaded, scans are already there, but the bottleneck is currently cutting loose the scans. (The stamps are thus scanned on sheets per 20-30, must be cut out each with a graphic program and provided with the correct number)

I also want to call on anyone who wants to add a lot of specialized material in depth to do so in consultation with me via spreadsheets. Then we can also give the items the correct place in the database and they will soon be easy to find.

Erik

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 23, 2010 02:29
June 23, 2010 02:29

Country list:
Azerbaijan is listed twice and new items were added to both (1x 16 and 1x 3)
Ascention (6 items) should be Ascension
Bundesrepublik (4 items) must be Federal Republic of Germany
Bundesrepublik BRD (no items): delete
Bosnia Herzegowina (3 items) must Bosnia & amp; Herzegovina become
Bosna Hercegovina (no items) should Bosnia & amp; Herzegovina become
Ceijlon (no items) = Ceylon
Congo Brazil (no items): to be deleted.
Congo Brazaville (9 items) to become Republic of Congo (from 1960)
Congo Kinsasha (no items): to be deleted
DDR (1 item): to be transferred to D.D.R.
Dominican republic: has been mentioned 3 times !!! (twice without items) and 1 × 21 items under the name Dominican Republic (fixed together)
Equatorial Guinea: mentioned twice (1x 30 items and 1 × 60 items)

I'll quit for now: the dust of the mess has already been wiped away a bit.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 23, 2010 23:23
added
prices
reviews

Very nice this list. I'll be working on it next week. We have already agreed with Vlendert that we will create a closed import list. Takes a while.
In the search list I want to use aliases, but they lead to the same database (U.S.A., United States bin example)

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 24, 2010 03:29
June 24, 2010 03:29

Second list:
Philippines (no entry): to be deleted
General Gouvernement (23 items): in my view to be transferred to Deutsches Reich (German Empire)
Great Britain (no items): to be deleted
Grenadines (no items): to be deleted
Congo / Zaire (3 items): to be transferred to Zaire
Kingdom of Yemen & lt; (no items): deleted
Libau: in my opinion to be transferred to Deutsches Reich (German Reich)
Maldives (no entry): to be deleted
Micronesia (4 items): to be transferred to Micronesia
Netherlands Antilles (10 items): to be transferred to Netherlands Antilles
New Zealand (no items): to be deleted
NL (Dutch East Indies) (1 item): to be transferred to the Dutch East Indies
North Broneo: Must be North Borneo
Nordfolk Islands (1 item): to be transferred to Norfolk Islands
Ostland (20 items): in my opinion to be transferred to Deutsches Reich (German Empire)
Pitcairn Islands (no entry): to be deleted (and possibly change Pitcairn to Pitcairn Islands)
Postgebiet Ober-Ost (14 items): as Ostland
Quatar: must be Qatar

Create a final list?

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 24, 2010 18:22
added
prices
reviews

Please, you're at it now! (:-)
I will be working on it in the first week of July, but first I will "briefly" leave Indonesia. (is a huge job ...)

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 24, 2010 23:56
June 24, 2010 23:56

Third list:
Republic of Yemen (no entry): to be deleted
Republique du haute Volta (no items): to be deleted
République du Haute-Volta (no items): to be deleted
Saargebiet (no items): to be deleted? (= Saarland?)
Seychelles Äußere Seychelles (1 item): must be: Republic of Seychelles
South Georgia & amp; South Sandwich Islands (4 items): should be South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Trinidad und Tobago (2 items): Must be Trinidad & amp; Tobago
etc…
because in the meantime I accidentally stumbled upon Filahome's website where you will find an extensive list of all stamp countries and territories, with a short history for each of them on top.
This should be the source of inspiration for drawing up a solid country list. I suppose this was already known…

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 28, 2010 03:21
June 28, 2010 03:21

I wrote:
Erik Boere writes:
Well, it's not that simple! You are probably referring to the stamps of the German Reich with the imprint Freistaat Bayern. But vice versa, there are also Bayern stamps with Deutsches Reich imprint. These are stamps of Bavaria that were overprinted after the merger of Bavaria into the German Empire and were simply valid throughout the German Empire. Bavaria's own postal service ceased to exist on March 31, 1920. The Stamps with overprint Deutsches Reich appeared on April 6, 1920.
It is with some surprise that after I had imported the stamps of Bavaria with the inscription “Deutsches Reich” into Bavaria, I now realize that the same stamps also appear in the catalog of the German Reich!
However, for all imported stamps from Bavaria I had the catalog of Yvert & amp; Tellier uses, which have their own numbering for these stamps under “Bavière”, including the stamps with specific inscriptions.
Is it going to be a war of catalogs? Or how can we best solve this?

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 28, 2010 03:31
June 28, 2010 03:31

To clarify the problem:
The stamps of Bavaria cover various periods:
- the kingdom until 1918: seals of the kingdom
- Freistaat Bayern: stamps of the Kingdom with overprint “Freistaat Bayeren;
- People's State of Bayern: seals of the Kingdom with overprint "People's State of Bayern"
- Deutsches Reich: stamps of the People's State of Bavaria with overprint “Deutsches Reich”
One common denominator: Bayern.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 28, 2010 20:33
added
prices
reviews

We will slowly come to a pragmatic solution. In the above case I think that 1 denominator is indeed fine. But in the Azores, for example, the question becomes whether we separate the colony and the overseas Portuguese territory.
And how we handle name changes (Take Gilbert @ Ellice / Gilbert / Tuvalu / Vanata and then dependencies (Funfati and that kind of beauty ...))
It will never be consistent, but with good explanations as a link to the countries it will be clear.
In short, complicated matter for which I would like to take a moment. Work on some major uploads in the coming weeks.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 28, 2010 23:16
added
prices
reviews

@Tapir

I do not understand this and I also see that you are now importing stamps from Bavaria with the imprint Deutsches Reich undere Bavaria. These are stamps of the German Reich, which can also be found in the Catawiki catalog under German Reich.

Michel also includes these stamps under the German Reich and I see no reason to do this differently. The area conforms to the overprint, not the original country designation, and the Bayern postal area was discontinued (3/31/1920 when these stamps appeared. (4/6/1920) Or I must overlook another weighty argument - but in that case the authoritative Michel is not right either…

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 29, 2010 16:07
June 29, 2010 16:07

@ Erik Boere
What preceded :
I want to import Bayern stamps.
I see that only a few stamps (ca 5) have been entered.
So I am forced to use my catalog Yvert & amp; Tellier to enter the correct data of year, series, color, value, catalog number, etc….
I notice that some stamps are already mentioned with the stamps of the German Reich.
I will immediately report this to the administrators.

For Your Consideration
Claiming that Yvert & amp; Tellier is wrong in this case is going too far:
Y & amp; T has put under the heading Germany:
Baths
Bayern
Bergedorf
Bremen
Braunschweig
Hamburg
Hanover
Lubeck
Mecklenburg
Oldenburg
Preussen
Sachsen
Schleswig-Holstein
Turn & amp; Taxis
Württemberg
Deutsches Reich

Each of these countries or territories keeps its own numbering for each type of stamp in the catalog.

Personally, I don't think the setup is that bad: it's the old Germany until 1949.
If these stamps were put in one catalog “Germany until 1949” at Catawiki, the problems with stamps with overprints “Deutsches Reich” or other overprints would disappear.
The names of the old countries or regions would remain in the alphabetical list, with reference to “Germany until 1949”.

In the catalog Y & amp; T, the following will be discussed:
Bundesrepublik Deutschland and present-day Germany
Berlin
East Germany

Conclusion
What we all want:
- A good catalog with clear references and agreements.
- With the items: the interpretation of the numbers Michel, Yvert & amp; Tellier, Scott and Stanley Gibbons. Otherwise these entry fields make no sense.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 29, 2010 19:37
June 29, 2010 19:37

Supplement :
for all new items I automatically fill in the numbers of Y & amp; T. Unfortunately I cannot do this for the frozen items…

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 29, 2010 23:03
added
prices
reviews

@tapir

Thank you for your response, but I honestly don't see any response to my observation that you are overprinting stamps from Bavaria ranking the German Empire under Bavaria. Again, these stamps appeared after the postal service of Germany was merged with the postal service of the German Reich. In addition to the German Reich postal area, there were indeed other postal services in Germany.
It is senseless to merge the stamps of the postal service of the German Reich with those of the independent postal services of the sub-regions (which, incidentally, also have different backgrounds, sometimes constitutional law, sometimes in terms of postal service) and to put everything in one section Germany. what would be useful in the future is to indicate with maps, overviews and references how the postal areas have developed historically.
Continuing this reasoning, I would, for example, also have to put the post-1980 stamps of Azores and Madeira between the stamps of Portugal (they are even valid there!) And it would have many unexpected side effects that would lead to classifications that no collector understands anymore and totally disagree with the way in which stamps are collected. How about, for example, the overseas post offices in Levant- oomk but mixed up at Levant?
Territories merge, split off, and postal areas do not always follow the political division, but it is the guiding principle for the philatelic division.

Bundesrepublik Deutschland and present-day Germany
Berlin
East Germany

Well, that shows how confusing it is to classify everything under Germany ... today's Germany is still Bundesrepublik Deutschland, just as the postal area Deutsches Reich did not change philatelically after independent postal services such as Bavaria's in the postal area Deutsches Reich were included… (it just got a bit bigger…)

I notice that some stamps are already mentioned with the stamps of the German Reich.
I will immediately report this to the administrators.

I don't quite understand this either. I have not seen a report, but I do not understand why you are going to import them under Bavaria anyway.
There is also no need to make any mention at all, because they are just where they belong.

With the items: the interpretation of the numbers Michel, Yvert & amp; Tellier, Scott and Stanley Gibbons. Otherwise these entry fields make no sense.

Of course we all want all those numbers. But that is not even that easy, especially with classic material. But you can't expect me to include all of these. Catawiki is based on the Wiki idea, so anyone who wants to add to them can do what they want. The fact that fields are still empty makes them very useful: they can be filled. I think the fields should have been open, I will record that with Marco.

- A good catalog with clear references and agreements.

I totally agree.

I also really like that you add a lot of items, but I will send the guidelines for a while, many Belgian FDCs are now entered as "FDC" and "Zegel", which suddenly causes people entering their Belgian stamps en bloc also introduce FDCs… .and I still want to ask you to follow my line regarding the area classification. This has been done consistently so far and your arguments do not give me any reason to change it.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 29, 2010 23:47
June 29, 2010 23:47

@ ErikBoere

_ "I notice that some stamps are already mentioned with the stamps of the German Reich. I will report this to the administrators immediately. "

Your answer:
“I don't quite understand this either. I have not seen a report, but I do not understand why you are going to import them under Bavaria anyway.
There is no need to make any mention at all, because they are just where they belong. ”

Please read carefully my message nr 28-06-2010 03:21:44. Reading a text diagonally has its drawbacks ...

By separate e-mail I also send you the “Table méthodique” of the catalog Y & amp; T “Timbres d'Europe de l'Ouest”, where the reasons are given for including the stamps of the old Germany under the denominator “Allemagne”.
I suspect you know enough French, otherwise I will translate this text for you.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 29, 2010 23:55
added
prices
reviews

I will note with interest the text in the Yvert & amp; Tellier with the immediate note that the Yvert & amp; Tellier is absolutely not normative for the collection area Germany and probably only fits with the Yvert & amp; Tellier albums… ..
I still don't get your point either. Of course you can include all the different old German postal areas under the collective name Germany. But that is no reason not to properly distinguish the different postal areas within the geographic / political area of Germany. Those are just sub-headings under Germany, and Deutsches Reich is one of them. There are many other areas where similar situations occur, Canada, Italy come to mind…

But even if Yvert were to use a different system, that would not be a reason to change Catawiki's system. You indicate that good agreements are important. The agreements must then be in line with the policy pursued to date. If you are going to cross this one does not seem useful to me.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 30, 2010 00:18
added
prices
reviews

@Tapir
In the document sent by you, I indeed see that a number of German areas are not classified in the correct place in the alphabet, but under Germany. Makes sense to me, but that does not mean that you then have to mix up all these seals as you propose. This only has to do with the arrangement of the collection areas, and not with a mix suggested by you within one list,

I could well imagine that in the future, in addition to the individual postal areas, you will also have Germany in the search list, after which you can choose one of the German postal areas in the next step. But that has nothing to do with the arrangement of the stamps over these different postal areas. The collection area “Germany” is therefore not proportional to, for example, the collection area The Netherlands, but is one level higher in the search structure.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • June 30, 2010 01:51
June 30, 2010 01:51

1) I have never claimed that the whole of Germany should be placed under one denominator.
Please read my message again from 06/29/2010 4:07:29 PM
“… Personally, I don't think the setup is that bad: it's the old Germany until 1949.
If you put these stamps in one catalog “_Germany until 1949_” at Catawiki, the problems with stamps with overprints “Deutsches Reich” or other overprints disappear… ”
2) At the most I can change the items incorrectly set in Bavaria with the text “Deutsches Reich”, but not delete them. 3) With some glee I note that the Bayern service stamps in the catalog “German Empire” are incorrectly entitled “Imprint on stamps Württemburg”
This proves that luckily we all make mistakes.

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • June 30, 2010 10:58
added
prices
reviews

It is evident that in a database with more than 3 million fields there are errors. As long as this is limited to an incorrect stamp description, it is less annoying than double quotations in the catalog under incorrect areas.
I think it is a strange discussion.
The detected errors (along with a long list) will be fixed in a coming upload.

Show original message
  • 14 messages
  • July 12, 2010 16:10
July 12, 2010 16:10

Can someone please remove the country Congo Brazil .
And Congo Brazzaville is written with double “z”.
But actually this country is called People's Republic of Congo !!!

Show original message
Go to page
25of 35