11of 11
  • 5 messages
  • January 21, 2021 19:31
January 21, 2021 19:31

Hi, I am new to the forum, but immediately impressed with the site and the forum!

I have an album (Davo Nederland II) with canceled stamps that are attached with a sticker. In addition, I have MNH stamps in a stock album of a reasonable part of this book. I am now considering removing the canceled stamps from the album and filling it with the MNH versions. I have now found that you can remove a patch from a stamp by soaking it in water.

Is there a handy way to remove sticky or sticky residue from the album?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 21, 2021 20:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hello Joost,

Long ago I inherited a collection of Germany in a Schaubek preprinted album. I had the same problem with that.

Patches of stamped stamps can be done by placing them in lukewarm water and allowing them to soak for an hour or more. Usually paper and adhesive scraps will come off by themselves and you can fish the stamps out of the water. If necessary, gently rub off gum residue with your finger. Then place the image side on tissue paper (can also be kitchen roll paper) and let it air dry. Often takes a long time (several days), but patience is important. Always dry face down because of gum residue.

Stamps (printed paper) have a tendency to curl when drying. As soon as the stamps are completely dry, you can carefully place them in an insert album to get the stamps flat.

MNH stamps with adhesive will, however, lose their gum layer (partially) when they deviate and cannot be saved. The best solution is to use Hawid clamp strips. You tailor it exactly for the compartment in your Davo album. This is also an excellent solution for the real MNH stamps in your stock book. Does have a price tag, of course.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • January 22, 2021 10:04
January 22, 2021 10:04

Thank you for your response, Dick.

There were indeed a number of stamps, especially sheets that were canceled, but not used. They are stamped on the 1st day of issue. So they still have the gum layer and I doubt whether I will loosen the adhesive (although I saw in this post that they are not really more special than just canceled stamps https://www.lastdodo.nl/forum/forums/193-postzegels-algemeen/topics/11403-stempel -first-day-of-issue )

But how did you get the patches and sticky residue out of the album? Without tearing the paper? I would indeed like to put adhesive strips in place for the MNH stamps.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 554 messages
  • January 22, 2021 10:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hello Joost,

In those cases I leave the adhesive residue (at least the last bit) because I don't want to damage the album paper. There is then a tailor-made adhesive strip over it, and when the stamp is in there you will no longer see that adhesive residue.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 22, 2021 11:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Indeed, I have solved the same way.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • January 22, 2021 16:57
January 22, 2021 16:57

Thanks for the comments. I'm just going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • January 24, 2021 12:57
January 24, 2021 12:57

Just before I started, I had a brainwave :-)

Wet a cotton swab and keep it on the patch (rest). Then the sticker comes off the album. Then let the page dry for a while.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 24, 2021 13:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Very cunning. But do let your album page dry thoroughly , otherwise you will help seals with gum to the Philistines. So I didn't have that problem, because I used black clamp strips (I liked better).

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • January 24, 2021 13:27
January 24, 2021 13:27

Yes, that's right. I now also use adhesive strips for the stamps I add.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,042 messages
  • January 25, 2021 10:44
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Also because of deviations, but for cigar bands.

You shouldn't deviate from cigar bands. The paint dissolves and then they are lost. Collectors of those things at the time pasted them in a notebook.

Someone once told me that if you put such a notebook in the freezer (refrigerator) for a while, you have a chance that you can get it off the paper more or less intact.

For stamps that are not attached with a special stamp sticker in an insert album, this may also help. There have always been bunglers who handled the glue pot.

Wondering if there are other ideas for removing 'glued' things that are not water resistant from the paper ... preferably without accidents.
Sometimes the stamps are important (usually old stuff ...), but sometimes the preprint album is also important (a DAVO for example).

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 25, 2021 22:09
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I was once told, long ago (& gt; half a century) to keep seals and a damp (not too wet) sponge in a sealed box. The high humidity does the trick. Never tried it myself.

Show original message
11of 11