25of 25
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 04, 2021 11:12
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Stamps Zaire and Congo Kinshaha (Congo Democratic Republic) are neatly placed together. In the selection screen 'countries' you can access it via 'C' and 'Z'. Fine. Whichever you choose: one catalog. This is also the case for a country that (sometimes temporarily) changes its name.

Now I was confused with the Netherlands Antilles and Curaçao. Each part can also be reached neatly via 'C' and 'N' in the selection screen 'countries', but each time a separate catalog. There may be a reason for it that I don't know?

If it only concerns the name on the stamps themselves, then I have even more question marks. After all, most Zaire stamps also have the name Zaire on them. But please leave them together. In Romania, a long time ago, the country name has also changed (Romania / R.P. Romina). And in Hungary it is not the same in all time periods ('Magyar Posta').

When it comes to the area that is changing ... also Ceylon and Sri Lanka apparently have separate catalogs of stamps on LD. But in 1972 not a square meter was added or removed ...

Who knows the agreements about this and is willing to share them?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 247 messages
  • January 04, 2021 19:38
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Last week I just made the same objection, also after the observation that Sri Lanka and Ceylon have their own catalog. There may be other examples of this kind ...

Fair question, I will follow.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 04, 2021 23:31
added
prices
info pages

You are not the first to ask:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/forum/forums / 193-stamps-general / topics / 13279-suriname-indonesia

(Those were a long time ago, I do miss Rein and Sinbad a bit.)

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 05, 2021 00:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Bookstore

Indeed, a long time ago (about the time I've been here times 60) there has been a discussion about that. Discussions were not always nice to look at at the time. I'm not ready for Suriname yet ... is somewhere near the letter N when entering my collection on LD. Netherlands Antilles ... an FDC that caused the reflection 'tiens, it is not there yet'. In my DAVO books that is one pot wet. Regardless of the name changes. I have to switch on LD in time. And much later than again. That is an important fact. You know or you don't know.

As a foreigner you must therefore know the history of the Dutch exotic (ex) areas. Interesting. That's the nice thing about philately: getting to know things, or remembering things.
I suppose something very important must have happened in 1948/1949. You would almost think that Curaçao would have become independent, and reclaimed again in 2010 :) A catalog numbering that is determined politically ...

In any case, I am happy that Congo Kinshasa and Zaire are together. And beautifully opened up by LD: whether you choose Zaire under Z, or go under C for Congo Kinshasa. Of course, the (ex-) Belgian areas also have their problems (on LD). Congo is independent as a kingdom (until Leopold II made it too much), then the Belgian Congo (a colony under the Belgian government). Then in 1960 an independent Congo under a president, then Zaire under a president and a few years later the Congo under a president. The first 2 in one LD catalog, the last three in another LD catalog. The first 2 nevertheless had a completely different postal authority as initiator for the issue of postage stamps. They are all included one after the other in the OBP, which is still the case today. Numbering consecutive. As Yvert does, by the way. It remains the same country / territory, despite a different form of government or ruler. These periods follow each other, there is no overlap. I do not know why the NVPH does not do that with Suriname. But I already know that that is why LD keeps them separate.

In the case of Ceylon / Sri Lanka, however, neither the OBP nor the NVPH can be the cause. State form or ruler cannot be the cause either. Nor has the territory changed (unless maybe a few cm of coast due to erosion :)). But why then? That's the question.

What is the (objective) criterion.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 05, 2021 00:44
added
prices
info pages
reviews

PS: because you miss the sailor a longer message from me

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 05, 2021 11:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The transition from Ceylon to Sri Lanka is the date on which the independent republic of Ceylon adopted the official use of the name Sri Lanka (sometimes even written as Srih Lanka). This sometimes leads to confusion with the last stamps of Ceylon, one of which was printed only with another year in connection with the postponement of a congress. The stamp was simply designed and printed too early, but not issued because of the delay.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 05, 2021 12:46
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Thank you Dick for answering.

But that doesn't explain why they are spread over 2 separate catalogs on LD.

Could it just be taken together? For the viewfinder: an entry Ceylon and an entry Sri Lanka. But both open the same catalog. Southwest Africa and Namibia are also allowed together, right? What's in the name: it is about the same land, land area and people.
The other catalog numbers also continue to run (you have that if no NVPH intervenes :)). And there is no overlap (issue date) at any time.
Such as Congo Kinshasa and Zaire. There it is (I think) good on LD. Perhaps the OBP has been a good example for this ...

For Curaçao - Netherlands Antilles - Curaçcao ... there you could say that they are split 'because the NVPH starts the numbering again at the 2nd name change'. Ok, is for a reason (but a good one?). Clear and measurable. If you own the NVPH. But that does not apply to the first name change. The numbering is not repeated there. Or is it because the first series of 'Netherlands Antilles' also contains the inscription 'Curaçao'?
Consistently there should be a 'Curaçao 1' and a '' Curaçao 2 'right?

I just can't find the line. When can you assume that stamps from the same country can be found in two different catalogs on LD, and when not. Too many separate booths is only good against Corona, but then half of them do not care about that, I have the impression.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 05, 2021 14:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The original set-ups of the catalog (then still Catawiki) seem to have invented it. Probably they used the maxim that the simple user searches for the name on the stamp. And that changed quite often

Stanley-Gibbons uses the system you propose in his catalog. The result is: Rhodesia ---- & gt; Southern Rhodesia ... & gt; Rhodesia --- & gt; Zimbabwe, and look up in the country section where Rhodesia can be found, ie Zimbabwe. But the first time in Rhodesia you will find the British South Africa Company, the very first "administrator" of the area to issue stamps. You can then explain all of that in the background pages. but they are hardly read.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 05, 2021 14:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Whatever the name on it, you basically start by indicating the country (from the list, alphabetically).

Whether it says Zaire or Congo: you will find both in that list. Whatever you choose, you will find all stamps of that country / territory (or state) in one catalog.

When I started, one of the first countries I registered was 'Cuba'. I had almost started scanning all the old cubans to add. However, they were listed elsewhere and are in a different catalog. Cuba is not Cuba. Fortunately, those 2 were not far from each other. And it says 'Cuba' for both. In Namibia / Southwest Africa it is slightly different. Also at Ceylon / Sri Lanka.
It is safe to say under the C 'Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)' and under the S 'Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon). You can find it in the alphabetical list. But whichever you click on: you will arrive in a catalog of all issues of that country. Neatly together, no apartheid.

Also with Curaçao / Netherlands Antilles / Curaçao. The center piece, with stamps on which the first one also mentions Curaçao, is apparently missing for an unsuspecting collector (especially the non-Dutchman). In this way they never get in touch with the history and composition of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 05, 2021 15:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Therefore, the unsuspecting collector would do well to read the background pages FIRST. Then a user does not have to come up with a lot himself, because it contains the answers to those questions.

Unfortunately, background pages are not yet available in all areas, so everyone can contribute.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,319 messages
  • January 05, 2021 16:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It is safe to say under the C 'Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)' and under the S 'Sri Lanka (previously Ceylon). You can find it in the alphabetical list. But whichever you click on: you will arrive in a catalog of all issues of that country. Neatly together, no apartheid.

Not substantively, but a brief explanation of how this works technically.

The congregation areas of Congo-Kinshasa [COD] and Zaire were (probably) once merged or perhaps together from the beginning. Named Congo-Kinshasa [COD].
However, collection areas can also be aliased and that is in this case: Zaire. Aliases can be recognized in the A / Z lists because they are placed behind an area between (). Whether you click on Congo-Kinshasa (Zaire) or on Zaïre-(Congo-Kinshasa ), you arrive at the same collection area.

Why the other areas mentioned have / have not been merged, I leave to the expert Stamp people.

Show original message
  • 48 messages
  • January 05, 2021 19:29
added

Get the impression that Lastdodo is not a catalog for regular stamp collectors who have a stamp album and try to get a certain stamp every week at the stamp club.
Thinks it more of a professional club that Lastdodo.
It is not necessary to know that Congo or another country used to belong to it.
I get my happiness and satisfaction from collecting stamps
Will stop with my comment because think many "Volunteers" don't like writing that.
And my mailbox will again be full with complaints.

Was signed Henk Frings.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 05, 2021 20:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Henk

I think it's really cool that someone gives his opinion like that. Without criticism and without ulterior motives. Just say what you think. I always allow that. Users explaining how they use LD.

You're in luck with that one stamp from Congo. Whatever name (the country once had) you choose, you will find that seal. All Congolese stamps are together. You don't need a 'paper' catalog for that.

With a stamp with both 'Curaçao' and 'Netherlands Antilles' printed on it, you have a 50% chance. In one they are not, in the other they are. You have to know 'Dutch overseas history' to know. And that is the crux of my question. How can an ordinary simple stamp collector (from abroad) know that? By thoroughly reading the (Dutch) background pages. Good luck for the (Flemish-speaking) Belgians, setback for the Walloons, the French, the Germans ... learn Dutch then? Or copy / paste to hoohle transleit (South West Flemish for Google Translate) :)

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,247 messages
  • January 10, 2021 15:53
added
info pages
reviews

The main idea was that stamps are classified by the Dutch (Dutch?) name of the country on the stamps. So if it says Ceylon on the stamps, you will find them at Ceylon and if it says Sri Lanka, then you will find them at Sri Lanka. And if it says Southwest Africa, you will find them in Southwest Africa and if it says Namibia, you will find them in Namibia. And it does not matter whether it is a council republic, a kingdom, a colony, an empire, an independent country or a democratic republic. The name of the country will remain the same.

There are a number of exceptions and Suriname is one of them. As Sinbad rightly pointed out, the 2 sections Suriname should be merged, if we consistently continue the structure used. A second exception is in the Malay states, such as Kelantan, Pahang and Perak. They are listed under Malay States instead of under their own name. There are also a number of areas under the land to which they now belong, such as Temesvar. This can all be corrected by alibis (I believe it was called). The cinderellas, all or some of which are part of the Fantasy Land section, can often not be found in their own name.

An additional advantage of all separate sections is that the history of many countries / regions is complex. And that the interest of many collectors is different. Because what do you do with Timisoara, or Temesvar. Belonged to Austria, Hungary, Serbia and is now in Romania. These can be collected by collectors from all 4 countries mentioned. And why link the Dutch East Indies with Indonesia. There will be a lot of (Netherlands) collectors who will save the Dutch East Indies and not Indonesia. And vice versa, like me. And perhaps there are German collectors who believe that the areas occupied in WWII also belong to that collection. So maybe they also want the stamps of the Netherlands issued in '40 -'45 in their collection. This to reflect the history of the country, however sad that history was in that period.

That some collection areas are related, yes that makes sense. But that they should also be linked? No, that's your personal opinion. And that does not have to be the opinion of other collectors. They are able to make their own decisions and make their own choices. It is precisely the division into small, individual units that makes that choice possible. That is the power of a digital catalog, such as LastDodo. That does not alter the fact that LastDodo should offer the possibility to allow each collector to create his / her own links. Then you can do it your way and I can do it mine. Future music I think.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 10, 2021 22:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ az60

Well, Congo - Zaire - Congo (Kinshasa) is in one catalog. There is no overlap anywhere. You can access it if you select 'Congo', or if you choose 'Zaire'. My collection also includes Congo / Zaire. Whoever has a seal of that country does not need to know whether it is before or after a certain period. A Dutch collector should not know Belgian and Congolese history. Everything is neatly arranged.

Sri Lanka and Ceylon are listed separately (each with its own catalog). That's the nonsensical thing I mean. My collection book says Ceylon / Sri Lanka.
Just as nonsensical as Suriname, which is not part of Suriname (there is also no overlapping period). Suriname is on my DAVO books. Do I have to teach a collector in Spain Dutch history when looking up a Surinamese stamp?

There is good reason for the fact that the German territories and the Malay states, due to their complexity and overlap, all have a separate catalog. That is right.

Why that background does not count for the Japanese Occupation of the Dutch East Indies ... I guess. However, this complexity is also a good reason to distinguish them. With the standard selections (from / to) you cannot get out. I messed around a bit there in the serial names to keep it a bit 'livable'. But, maybe those changes will all be deprecated soon?
In any case, I don't mix them up every year in my collection. Imagine. Per area and per year.

I know collectors who collect, for example, the Netherlands only until 2000. After that it is a crazy game. How complicated can you make it. Before long, no collector will want to know about Dutch issues ... and I think these are almost the only buyers of those pieces of paper. Doesn't the machine make a self-adhesive strip for franking? Or digitally you can buy a unique number for a fee that you can note on a cover as 'postage'.
Try to present the postage stamps of NL after 2000 in the regular DAVO albums.
But as a result, no separate catalog was made for the Netherlands on LD (until 2000 and after 2000). Everything is in one. Would be pretty crazy too, you can tell them apart by selecting from / to. There is also no overlap between the normal period and the crazy period.

That's the thread here: why there and not here - and vice versa. The why.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 10:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

And then something more delicate ... Fantasy land.

You are looking for a stamp with country 'Nagaland' imprint and a value. Can't be found in the alphabetical list.
Ok, it's a bogus country, but not every collector (or seller, or buyer) knows that. Now all stamps / vignettes / labels from any fake country (or non-franking from existing countries) are all in one large container.

Perhaps, by analogy with the Malay states, for example, a subdivision can also be made for the largest (most common among the amateur collector) parts: Fantasyland - Nagaland, Fantasyland - Mordovia, ...

Would be easier for the simple stamp collector. It is now impossible to get an overview of eg Nagaland in one go. Fortunately, most series have 'Nagaland' in the name (year + space + Nagaland + space + real series name). But you cannot select multiple series together. And certain series have that name is not there.

I know Fantasy Land is a more delicate topic, but it's not a taboo, I hope?

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • January 18, 2021 15:19
added
prices
reviews

@Raoel, to highlight certain countries you should try the Search the catalog bar at the top next to LASTDODO, you will get all the stamps from Nagaland and each series, and if one is not listed, you can still always enable the value of the stamp that is missing.

Do not forget to click on All.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • January 18, 2021 16:31
added
prices
info pages

You can also search within the Fantasy Land collection area on Nagaland . You can then select any Nominal value.

About so-called Cinderella's (Fantasyland) fierce discussions have been held on this forum, which ultimately yielded nothing. I don't know how much has changed in the admin file in the meantime, but I am not very confident that the general consensus has changed.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 17:10
added
prices
info pages
reviews

System A (aartinge) returns 233 items.

System B (Book Warehouse) returns 230 items.

Eg item 3449629 is found when you search for Nagaland. Rden is because this is a UPU stamp of India, related to Nagaland (Nagaland is a non-autonomous part of India. The series name of that stamp is also 'YYYY Nagaland'.

There may also be items that do not appear in both ways of searching, but that belong to 'Fantasyland'. Whoever adds one will not always mention that name in the title or in the series name. I should find out.

Adding in Fantasyland, for stamps from pseudo-countries where quite a lot of issues circulate and are therefore often present at collectors, is a dangerous (duplication risk). Finding duplicates afterwards is also much more difficult. Hence the idea: why not eg 'Fantasy country - Nagaland'. Yet for those fantasy countries where there is a lot of material circulating.
A kind of operation 'from waste bin to recycling park'. In the latter, the large fractions are also neatly separated. There are collectors (think mainly theme collectors) who like the fake stamps and collect them. You don't start looking in a rubbish bin. In a recycling park, on the other hand, the commercial touch (offer - sell, search - find - in shopping basket - buy) is more attractive.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 17:12
added
prices
info pages
reviews

ps: I just want to break the taboo in a positive way.

Show original message
  • 499 messages
  • January 18, 2021 18:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

A few areas have already been highlighted because there were too many within fantasy land. A.o. Western Sahara and South Moluccas (existing areas, but no postal service of their own). We could do the same with Nagaland. Also regarding State of Oman, this one now gives pollution in Oman (the real country). I also see that in fantasy land also stamps from real countries such as Belgium are roaming around. Most of these can be transferred to the country / territory, except for possible closing stamps and fiscal

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 18:37
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Postmaster

That of Belgium has already had bad consequences for me, with my very first actions on LD :) The erinnophilia and railway stamps have already arrived in the right place.

If (I do write 'if') the biggest 'fantasies' can be separated a bit (e.g. 'Fantasy country: Nagaland' separately) then the 'waste bin' becomes smaller and it is easier to rediscover what is too much (double or wrong place). It can also ('can') mitigate the supply of new duplicates. I hope.
In addition: if someone wants to indicate his piece 'Nagaland' on LD in collection (usually also resulting in 'search list' indication) then that user will get it a lot easier.

I myself am not a fan of fantasy countries, but as a 'hamster' I keep track of what I get. My children think they are beautiful to look at and that's important too. I think there are collectors who pass these pieces of paper on to children or even grandchildren. Now and then a younger collector is bred in this way. What you got from 'Grandpa', you don't just throw it away. Explaining to a child how to search, for example, 'Nagaland' in 'Fantasyland' is a barrier that we can remove. Possibly a double entrance (such as 'Zaire' and 'Congo'): 'Fantasy country: Nagaland' and 'Nagaland (Fantasy country)'. Due to the alphabetical interface 'countries' as access to 'Stamps'.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 18:44
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I personally don't think South Moluccas is a fantasy country. Not UPU, ok, but a bit more special than eg Buriatia. Much more history (even a specialized DAI Nippon catalog). It's part of one of my preferred collection areas. Should also have an entry like 'Maluku Selatan' ... I had to search for it until I found that the country could be found under the letter 'Z'.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,319 messages
  • January 18, 2021 19:06
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Should also have an entry like 'Maluku Selatan' ... I had to search for it until I found that the country could be found under the letter 'Z'.

Maluku Selatan has been mentioned as an alias for a number of days.

Show original message
  • 4,007 messages
  • January 18, 2021 19:16
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Woow, that's good news :) A few weeks ago I had to look a bit, and now it's there! (no questions asked lol)

The following will benefit.

Show original message
25of 25