9of 9
  • 8 messages
  • July 16, 2018 07:07
added
July 16, 2018 07:07

Good morning,

I currently have my stamp collection stored in dozens of stock books. It is neat on land and year, but it is not quite to my liking.
I have now found a lot about making album sheets myself (DAVO etc is way too expensive for me). However, I have two more questions about it:
- which paper type (size, thickness) is best to use?
- what is the best place to store the sheets (what kind of folders?).

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Mvg
André SIjnesael

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • July 16, 2018 12:53
added
prices
reviews

You certainly haven't checked the internet yet, because there is enough ...

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • July 16, 2018 20:19
added
July 16, 2018 20:19

There is enough yes, about making the sheets. You will find very little about the storage (which kind of folders etc).

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • July 16, 2018 21:49
added
prices
reviews

You can choose the cheapest solution yourself, if you have blank pages, you can go with any kind of storage folder with a hole punch ...

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • January 24, 2022 12:48
January 24, 2022 12:48
I've searched everywhere on the Mac for an easy program to make my own stamp album sheets I can't find it anywhere, I can't get along with Microsoft word, maybe you can help me Bvd. Jack
Show original message
  • 4,038 messages
  • January 24, 2022 13:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Silem 
I tried it once, in 'the days' when Windows was still 'for Workgroups'. That was a long time ago (more than 20 years). And there wasn't a single program back then that was easy, or anywhere near a degree of usability. You could spend hours on one page, which turned out to be not so suitable after all.

You can make it easy and make use of already created sheets:
  • for large budgets you have DAVO, Schaubek, Lindner, ...  With or without factory-applied clamping strips. Little fun to be had: you put the stamps in and that's it;
  • For smaller budgets, you can find pre-print albums in PDF format from many countries on the Internet, which you can download and print. There are only the frames, but also with the appropriate image of each stamp in each frame. Then you still have to cut and glue clamp strips. You can also make a copy of a friend-colleague collector who already has such an album. Once the clamping strips have been glued on and the stamps in, no one can see what was originally on the copy.

More personalized (which is the most satisfying) you can make the sheets yourself. With pencil, pen and ruler: arrange and draw everything yourself. Or with a program like MS Word you can also make it on the computer itself. The latter is not very handy because then you really have to manually get the right dimensions in the document frame by frame. Sometimes that involves a bit of tinkering. Also nice. Then you can cut and paste clamp strips again.

If you don't really need text and explanation, and your collection is reasonably complete, you can make the album freehand.
Put the stamps in clamp strips and cut them neatly (with a margin). Place the stamp catalog next to it to see what may be missing. You also have to make a suitable clamp strip for that.
After that you can arrange on a sheet with the stamps, already in the clamp strips. Once you are satisfied with the 'looks' you can start sticking. With a decent ruler for support you can easily get the clamp strips straight (horizontal) stuck, while you can get the horizontal division neat by reading the ruler.

A good program could help. However: however you turn it, you will always have to specify the sizes of the stamps yourself. There is no program that knows this about all possible stamps.
You will also always have to choose the text you want to go with it (a title, a catalog code, an indication of the nominal value, an explanation, ...). input.
And then there is the straitjacket of such a program. It's just not what you want, but you don't get the icing on the cake. So you have to continue with a result that just doesn't meet your own wishes 100%.

If your search yields results, and you find an easy and solid program ... then I might even dare to try it .
Show original message
  • 72 messages
  • January 24, 2022 14:43
I thought maybe the blank sheets of Davo are still an option until I saw the prices per 20 pieces.
Would in any case look into using heavier paper than the standard A4. due to the increase in weight per page, this can never go well for long.
Show original message
  • 4,038 messages
  • January 24, 2022 15:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews
For certain countries (regions) I just use printer paper, and I put it in such plastic sleeves. Not in ring binders with 2 rings, because then they quickly hang crooked. 4 or more rings, and now and then a cardboard index sheet in between for firmness.

Sometimes you can buy a kind of postage stamp folder for a few cents where stamps in bulk are affixed with adhesive on blank pages. Once the seals are off you can also use such a thing as a base. Eg Victoria (Importa) albums.
If the content isn't up to par, then nobody should have it. Not me :)
For example, for 5 euros you sometimes already have a thick, sturdy screw band with more than 100 sheets.
Once the clamp strips are attached, no cat can see that there have been 'stickers' on the sheets. For example, I put together my stock albums for Rwanda myself. For Burundi too, but not for the last few years. It would cost me a fortune in clamp strips alone to keep up with Burundi's recent years like that.
Show original message
  • 72 messages
  • January 24, 2022 15:48
For certain countries (areas) I just use printer paper, and I put it in plastic sleeves. Not in ring binders with 2 rings, because then they quickly hang crooked. 4 or more rings, and an occasional cardboard index sheet in between for strength.
A good addition, that was also my concern that you have everything from your folder in no time.

Raoul62  Looks neat. you don't see anything anymore.
Show original message
9of 9