7of 7
  • 6 messages
  • January 03, 2018 15:23
January 03, 2018 15:23

I think innocent posts are being deleted for no good reason.

A post of mine, asking how I analyze a collection and extract the good pieces from it, has been removed because it was said to be an advertisement.

Someone else who asks whether his inherited collection is worth it, or whether it can be thrown in the trash, will receive the response that these types of questions will henceforth be seen as advertisements and will be removed.

Legally it is unacceptable that deletion of such messages refers to the forum rule that no advertising is allowed. These messages are clearly not advertisements. Deleting messages on that basis is improper.

Apart from the rules: one-hit wonders that are just looking for some information can be found on all forums. Usually there is a short response if it is clear that they are doing their best themselves, and otherwise there is no response. It keeps your field open and accessible. Otherwise you will only be left with a closed circle, in people, information and collectibles.

And by no means everyone who comes up with these kinds of questions is only after money. I think it's underestimated what it's like to inherit the collection of someone dear to you, and who you know how much love he put into it. If you don't know what to do with it and sell the collection to someone with the feeling that your ignorance is being taken advantage of by definition. I have seldom felt as bad as when I sold the Dutch stamps to someone who took me by surprise with the offer to buy the collection. Ten minutes later I was outside crying because I felt like I had failed my grandfather. It's not that I'm so eager to get rich from other people's collecting rage. But in my opinion philately has a bad reputation and I have to go into battle more or less well armed or else let things rot away.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 03, 2018 15:38
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Precisely to prevent these kinds of discussions, we prefer not to let emotions play a role here and we draw the same line as much as possible.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 03, 2018 23:50
January 03, 2018 23:50

What kinds of discussions should be avoided? Discussions about governance? It is still good, and perfectly normal, that it is discussed whether rules are correctly applied in a forum.

And I see no explanation in this answer. It is irrelevant whether a line is drawn. If that one line doesn't line up with the forum rules, it's still wrong.

My argument was valid. The rules are being misapplied. I rather think that there is emotion behind the decision to delete these types of posts. Maybe annoyance? With my 'emotional' story I only wanted to indicate why that annoyance may not be justified. But keeping the emotion out is by far my preference.

Then I would like a non-emotional, logical, explanation why an ordinary question is labeled an advertisement.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 03, 2018 23:58
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Then you're out of luck, because I'm not going to have that discussion. You sell through your shop or you contact an auctioneer. Any extra attention to what you have to sell will be removed.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 04, 2018 00:32
January 04, 2018 00:32

You know my question wasn't about sales at all, but about what to do with my grandfather's collection, what to focus on. Attention to what I have to sell? I don't even have anything to sell. I don't even know what I have to sell, hence my question. There was not even a picture. This is just plain nonsense that you are selling here.

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 04, 2018 00:37
January 04, 2018 00:37

Why are there any forum rules if you, as a moderator, can do whatever you want without anyone checking?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 04, 2018 01:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

First sentence of deleted message: 'Hi, I have a collection from my grandpa that I want to sell ...' Q.E.D.

And now I am closing this topic.

Show original message
7of 7
This topic is locked