9of 9
  • 2 messages
  • December 20, 2016 22:24
December 20, 2016 22:24

Recently picked up the stamp hobby again. And the gaps are slowly filling up. What strikes me are the large price differences for MNH stamps from before 1940. That makes us a bit suspicious.

So what about re-copying? Does that happen a lot? Can that be checked? And are there any sites / auctions / sellers that might be better avoided?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 554 messages
  • December 22, 2016 10:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Hello ottok, and welcome to Catawiki.

You should not take the catalog prices (at least in the Stamps section) on Catawiki equally literally everywhere. There have already been various discussions on this forum . In some areas they give a fairly good picture as far as I am concerned, but sometimes a new item is entered with a 'strange' catalog value when entered.

CataWIKI is a Wiki system, anyone can edit the data. If prices have not yet been entered, anyone can still adjust them. And I've seen examples of 'strange prices' ... Unfortunately, there are not enough administrators to keep an eye on that.

With my own stamps I do have the idea that some stamps have been re-gummed, because the gum is very different from other stamps from the same series; for example in color, shimmer and smoothness of the gum. Or because the gum just looks too smooth and neat for a 100 year old seal. Then I suspect that these have been gummed up. I think this is a matter of experience.

M.b.t. your last question; that seems to be based on some suspicion in advance;). You can view the reviews of a seller, I think that gives a nice picture of his or her performance.

Show original message
  • 294 messages
  • April 12, 2017 00:06

If I suspect that a seal has been re-gummed, I put it on the table and keep my hand on it for 1 minute. If I take away my hand and the seal is warped, then it is gummed for me. If it stays nice and straight, it is real. That is my experience.

Show original message
  • 326 messages
  • April 12, 2017 23:01
added
prices
reviews

funny. can you do that with many stamps at the same time?

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,255 messages
  • April 12, 2017 23:53
added
info pages
reviews
Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • August 14, 2017 10:13
prices
August 14, 2017 10:13

Hello Ottok,

In any case, recognizing after gummed stamps requires experience, that stamps of 100 years old have smooth gum is normal in various series and therefore no guarantee for gummed.

It is best to have your stamps viewed by someone with knowledge of this, people come to me monthly to have their stamps checked, this is a free service that we provide.

Greetings,

Matthew

Specialsale.nl

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • August 15, 2017 11:12
August 15, 2017 11:12

Sometimes I wonder if we're not messing around with MNH. With modern reproduction and re-gumming techniques, it becomes almost impossible for the simple layman to determine what is real and what is not. With the classic description "unused with neat patch or adhesive residue and original gum still present" there is a reasonable chance that the stamp comes from a collection and is probably genuine. My opinion for a better one!

Caulaincourt

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • August 15, 2017 16:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I have no understanding of stamps, however where something rare and expensive can be reproduced, a forger will be happy to make something look like the original, such as "showing" remnants of gum or stuck somewhere. Counterfeiting takes time and money, so I assume that common stamps are always genuine and it is only necessary to try to fit the "real amounts", especially if connoisseurs do not want to invest in some valuable stamps.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • August 15, 2017 17:07
August 15, 2017 17:07

Maybe you are right. I just believe that the trade often shamelessly takes advantage of that MNH.

As for myself: I like my antique ancient stamps most of all, pasted on a fresh letter with beautiful postal remarks and a historically interesting text. Those stamps were actually made for that too; Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with gum problems!

Caulaincouirt

Show original message
9of 9