Go to page
25of 62
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 26, 2015 18:35
added
prices
reviews

It was known that collectors sometimes change items, different scan, different perforation, and that sometimes a completely new item is created.

but that this is also sometimes done by administrators was new for me.

I now have a customer who went completely crazy because I could not deliver an item.

and this is because after a year after introduction a watermark has changed ( see item 1717087 )

first it was stamp with watermark, and then suddenly no more.

without informing the adhering collectors.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, stop these changes.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • February 26, 2015 20:37
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Aart,

The aim is to keep / make the data correct. If you do not have the stamp in your hands, you have to rely on the (usually very brief) information provided by the first importer. If he already enters incorrect information, it all becomes a big gamble.

For example, it is often the case that the year and watermark are incorrect. It would then just read 1856 as the year of issue, and the elephant's head as the watermark (which was only introduced in 1865). Well, and then the big guesswork begins.

Usually the cause lies with the first importer, who simply takes the data from his printed catalog. He / she does not look further than his nose, in other words he / she takes over the data as shown in the first picture that he accidentally came across. Then a stamp first issued in green suddenly turns yellow and so on.

An administrator has to deal with such cases very frequently. It is impossible that, in addition to the many corrective work, they should also inform all adhering collectors. Earlier you would say that the supporters first have to analyze their stamps themselves, before they add a stamp to their collection or wish list with one click (only on the basis of a picture).

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, put a little more effort to do that analysis, and the complaints will naturally diminish. Even a "dedicated administrator" cannot change this kind of thing. Unless you do away with all administrators, I'm afraid the event in question will keep repeating. But then it is better to do away with the entire catalog idea.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • February 26, 2015 21:09
February 26, 2015 21:09

@aartinge

The change from watermark "Coat of arms" to "No watermark" was done correctly and does not change the other details of this item.

It was just an error from myself as an importer.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 26, 2015 22:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It's very simple: if this seal does not exist with Coat of Arms watermark, Tapir is right. If it does exist, then Aart is right and this stamp could have been changed indiscriminately after more than a year of never-never-never again.

Just say it ...

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • February 26, 2015 22:36
February 26, 2015 22:36

I let aartinge speak in his message to me on April 24, 2012:

" Dear tapir, As far as I read in the Yvert, the series of 1856 India has no watermark, you mention Coat of Arms in this series.
I only see that it is mentioned that the paper has a glaze layer.
There is also no reference to another year that this series exists without a watermark. I have enough of this series, and no watermark to be found anywhere.
otherwise check your entry of this stamp.
greetings aart
"

And I answered him the same day:

"Dear Archangel,

You're right. The series 1855-1860 and 1856-1864 (Y&T nos. 6 to 17) were issued without a watermark.
The adjustments have been made.

Greetings,
Tapir
"

Much Adore About Nothing?

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 26, 2015 22:57
added
prices
reviews

@Tapir, Even though it was a mistake on your part, changing a watermark after a year is unjustified, after all, people are already using it.

because of the change it will indeed be a different stamp, a stamp that has not been in the catalog before.

you could have changed the date, and you could have reintroduced that seal without the watermark or you could have informed people if you were going to change something important.

mistakes can be corrected, but then during the import, but not a year later without saying anything.

@Arco, they both exist, with and without watermark.

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 26, 2015 23:16
added
prices
reviews

@Tapir, this message you show has to do with the Half Anna item 1717081 and does not alter the fact that you should not inform other people that you are also suddenly applying a change to other items.

Apparently you changed the entire series after that, but you can not a year later without anyone knowing.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,192 messages
  • February 27, 2015 00:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Classic problem.

Admins have the option to message associated users (all at once), but it's not always obvious that the change justifies that extra effort.

The fact that the change was simply approved (by another administrator) also indicates that administrators do not have the time to review all changes in the history, but that they only base their review on the correctness of the latest version.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • February 27, 2015 01:04
February 27, 2015 01:04

There can be no misunderstanding in this case: the 1856 series has no watermark.

It's just a rectification of my mistake reported by aartinge.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 01:12
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It's a matter of peeling off, because you can't both be right. The stamps only exist without watermark or also with.

Why couldn't you deliver that stamp without watermark to your customer, Aart? Do you really have one with a watermark? According to Tapir, that is not possible. If you give a clear answer to this, the problem will be solved.

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,255 messages
  • February 27, 2015 02:15
added
info pages
reviews

The situation is complex. As it stands in Catawiki at the moment, Tapir is right in my opinion. According to my Yvert, the stamp of 1 Anna was only issued without watermark in 1856. In addition, a comparable 1 Anna with watermark appeared in 1865-1873. This stamp is in another series, namely 1865 Queen Victoria. The aforementioned stamp is from the series: 1856 Queen Victoria. The appointment of a separate series 1865 KV is debatable. In many cases the series remains 1856 KV and only the year (1865 instead of 1856) is adjusted. Seen from Catawiki, I think Tapir's rectification is justified.

Seen from the buyer, I can imagine the doubt. He knows the series and within the series of 1856 an unknown stamp with watermark is suddenly issued, where until now only stamps without watermark are known. I can imagine the interest. This situation is more common. In Indonesia, many stamps without luminescence are offered, while almost all stamps after 1962 are fluorescent. It is in Catawiki, but I think the buyer should have done some more preliminary work and checking here. that is actually offered. However, the fact that things are changing is inherent to Catawiki's system. It is still being renovated and tinkered with. It would be nice if there was an automatic warning system for changes, but we already had that discussion recently. Incidentally, it is good if there is improvement. A buyer can also order a non-existent stamp from you and get angry if you cannot deliver it.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • February 27, 2015 03:01
February 27, 2015 03:01

Again:

In this case there can be no misunderstanding: the series from 1856 has no watermark.

The only series with watermark "Coat of arms" is from 1854 and consists of imperforated stamps.

The series of 1865 is rightly mentioned separately for both Michel and Y & amp; T: all these stamps have the watermark "Elephant's head".

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 04:31
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@ az60: as far as the buyer is concerned, he did not come across an unknown stamp with a watermark, but one without. Therefore my question to Aart how a misunderstanding could have arisen anyway. Why did that buyer go nuts when the item has been in Catawiki correctly for almost three years?

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • February 27, 2015 09:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews

My Stanley Gibbons also confirms what Tapir says. The identification has therefore been correct since the beginning of 2012.

The problem for Aartinge and the customer remains. The buyer could (should?) Have taken the trouble to ask the seller if the offer matches what he / she wanted. The seller should have made sure that he was selling the right thing (what he was offering).

But if you look carefully, the cause of the conflict can be traced to the "wiki nature" the catalogue. After all, use is made of the data entered, without one (or rather two) persons considered to be competent in the matter who have checked it. That way you know in advance that things can go wrong.

There is no ready-made solution. The reason for this is the well-known song: manpower ........

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 523 messages
  • February 27, 2015 10:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

There is no solution, but you could think of an automatic listing with the item in the shop as

"This item was offered on February 4, 2011. The last catalog change was on January 2, 2015 . "

The buyer can then see in the history with which information the item was placed in the shop. If it then turns out that the watermark is very important to that buyer and has been changed after the item has arrived in the shop, he can ask the seller a question and does not have to go wild.
The seller can do it as use a disclaimer for changes made outside his field of vision.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 10:45
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@kdamme: Same comment as the one I addressed to az60: the buyer did not want a watermarked stamp, because that field had already been adjusted three years ago. Aart's story just can't be right. Storm in a glass of water.

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:03
added
prices
reviews

it is gone too deeply into it.

the stamps that were then in 2011 have been clicked by people, and I have done the same.

I have in different periods in 2011 clicked on stamps that I had.

also item 1717087 , which was then with a watermark.

later I have 2012 item 1717081 clicked, but it turned out that there was a watermark, this was not correct, and I mentioned that to Tapir.

however Tapir has changed all stamps equally . in itself that is good, but I say again that you can't just do that a year later without someone not knowing.

also item 1717087 he apparently changed. so changed from watermark to no watermark.

if a customer now so item 1717087 ordered, he expects to receive a stamp without watermark, but there may still be people who only have the stamp with watermark. as it used to be.

the essential aspects of a stamp such as perforations and watermarks cannot be changed after a year without people knowing. After all, you make very different stamps through those kinds of changes.

@Arco, the buyer went crazy, because I could not deliver the stamp as it is now stated because of that change.

that customer does not know about anything, he only sees that he can order that stamp without a watermark, and the seller also knows about nothing, he only sees that he suddenly cannot deliver that stamp because someone has changed the watermark .

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That is nonsense, isn't it, Aart? That stamp does not exist with a watermark, so it was correctly in your shop. Be clear and concrete, please. I will not go into too much detail, but just report / ask for the simple facts.

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:26
added
prices
reviews

@Arco, why can't it be true? Tapir nevertheless confirms that he has modified those stamps. either has changed.

I clicked on stamps in 2011 with the watermark mentioned. and not only I did that, but also other people.

a customer does not have to look in the history of a stamp, because it is in someone's shop, and just sees the stamp that wants to have.

and sees that that stamp has no watermark, and ordered.

he does not know that that stamp had a watermark before and that it was later changed to the stamp he is looking for.

Even a seller does not know that the stamp has been changed to another stamp.

and that is the point.

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:27
added
prices
reviews

That stamp does exist with watermark, and was also correctly in my shop.

but if it is changed, then it is no longer correctly in my shop.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:32
added
prices
info pages
reviews

But not from that year and in that series. You are now going to tell us that you had a very wrong item from another year in your shop anyway?

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,255 messages
  • February 27, 2015 11:40
added
info pages
reviews

@aartinge

but there may still be people who only have the stamp with watermark. as it was before.

We have established above that such a seal is unlikely to exist. If someone has such a stamp with a watermark and a cancellation from before 1865, then they have something unique (or probably a forgery) in their possession. So we prefer to state for the time being that that seal does not exist. And so no one can hang on to it. If they think they do have such a stamp, it is most likely the stamp from the series 1865 Queen Victoria: 1717109 and checked the wrong stamp. Incidentally, both stamps have been added to the catalog fifteen minutes after each other. And in the very early (or perhaps late) hours. There are quite a few night owls here at Catawiki, but the chance that someone ticked the stamp in that fifteen minutes and at that time is negligible.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • February 27, 2015 12:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What a story again guys

Show original message
  • 2,571 messages
  • February 27, 2015 13:41
added
prices
reviews

I'm very clear, I have that stamp with a watermark, and that's how it was in the catalogue, and that's why I clicked on it.

Arco you miss the point, you try to defend Tapir and that he did right, and another is wrong.

and whether this be a forgery, or a seal of perhaps another year, that does not alter the fact that a watermarked seal is made into another seal after one year.

When I look in the Gibbons, this series is only mentioned in 1855 with or without watermark, and 1865 does not appear.

and with this given that each catalog gives a different info, people place their stamps. or even without a catalog.

and that's why you can't just change an important detail without telling people.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • February 27, 2015 13:52
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As you can see from my initial response, my question was very clear, and devoid of any emotion or prejudice. Despite that, try to cover things up by writing entire novels in response.

My final conclusion with the information that is now available is very brief: you start a topic with an accusation, while the relevant administrators have just done their job. There is only one catalog that counts for everyone here and that is Catawiki. You have offered a stamp from a year other than 1856 for sale as a stamp from 1856 and that is not allowed at Catawiki. So there has only been one wrong and that is yourself.

Might be useful to think of these things in the future before you start a topic.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 62