3of 3
  • 2 messages
  • November 06, 2014 21:14
November 06, 2014 21:14

Dear ,

I need some help. I collect stamps because my (deceased) father did this and I wanted to continue it in his name. The only problem is that I actually don't understand and don't know all that jargon and certainly not this website. :) Can someone please explain to me the difference between MNH and unused? And whether the value of a stamp as they are listed on it are the same as in the stamp catalog, the book? If it were to help, the stamps I have have never been glued to an envelope. (have a subscription) The stamps my father had are mixed, unused but some have been stuck on an envelope. (I think)

Mvg,

Asje2607

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,252 messages
  • November 06, 2014 21:45
added
info pages
reviews

Stamps without stamp on the front and with intact gum on the back are MNH. So they are like you buy them at the post office. In the past, these stamps were placed in an album with a sticker. If there is such a sticker or the remnants of it on the back, then you speak of unused. Sometimes you don't see any remnants, but there was a patch. By playing with the light and using a magnifying glass, you can usually determine that there has been a patch. You will then see the print (usually rectangular) or a slight damage. Canceled stamps have a stamp on the front, so like you can get them off a letter.

The value of a stamp is what the fool gives for it. Collectors often find the prices in catalogs too high. They point to the prices that sellers charge for it. These are often (considerably) lower. At Catawiki you can find both.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • November 07, 2014 09:51
November 07, 2014 09:51

Thank you, I am a little wiser again ..

Show original message
3of 3