Go to page
25of 45
  • 2 messages
  • October 30, 2014 22:10
October 30, 2014 22:10

Who can tell me more about a stamp issued for the 50th anniversary of Queen Wilhelmina.

Unfortunately cannot attach a photo.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • October 31, 2014 19:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Nommie66,

A postage stamp is not a postage stamp, I believe they stand under Cinderella's from misery and lack of anything better.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 31, 2014 19:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Here are the seals ...

In principle, a sealing stamp differs from a Cinderella in that a sealing stamp has no nominal value.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • October 31, 2014 19:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Arco,

In principle, a closing stamp differs from a Cinderella in that a closing stamp has no nominal value .

Eeeh are you serious now ????? Have you sent a letter in the last 3 years with a stamp that had a face value ????,

I really hope that CW does not use this as a serious definition because then we can use all real stamps and Cinderella's of the past years lost in stamps :) (PS. Arco who advises you at the moment regarding stamps?)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 31, 2014 20:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Thank you for receiving the first registration from people who want to cooperate in refining the definitions of Cinderellas and Seal Stamps. Bring it on!

As I happened to explain to the postmaster yesterday: stamps or butter ... I don't care. I just need to understand database structures. For the rest, we have the experts in-house. And they will pop up as soon as I make nitwit comments.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • November 01, 2014 23:50
November 01, 2014 23:50

I have put the stamp in the collection with seal stamps.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 12:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I am still looking for users who would like to help create watertight definitions for the manual for the terms Seal and Cinderella. Who will make the first attempt?

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • November 03, 2014 13:28
added
prices
info pages
reviews

The only watertight fact about Cinderellas is that there is no watertight definition of Cinderellas.

Cinderella is just a derogatory term used to cram all kinds of seals that are used by the user of the term Cinderella. used to indicate that what you collect is not a stamp or you are a bungler, in that sense Cinderella (the name says enough) is an insulting term to patronize another collector that he does not understand anything with his collection .

Cinderella = negative designation for anything that a conservative fillatelist thinks is not a postage, the conservative nature of the user determines how many stamps are not included according to his theory.

In the past ( in the 80s) 90% of the collectors belonged to the conservative club and the Cinderella's collectors were not taken seriously, however a turnaround has turned these roles, almost every collector has counter There are a few stamps that were labeled Cinderella in the 80s.

There is also no club or collective group that is still concerned about this nowadays, that it has been on CW for years (about the only one in the world) is one thing, is because the chief leadership at PZ is as conservative as the Pope and so is still concerned about this.

I say respect every collector - Cinderellas exist not (anymore) those who think it is a Cinderella just do not include it in their collection and those who do not find it Cinderella should just be able to take it in their collection in the relevant country (so no separate directory Cinderella's) because that already gives you indicates that you are not taking it seriously

Show original message
  • 42 messages
  • November 03, 2014 13:38

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm back on this forum after an absence of 3 years. Hopefully you remember me!

I haven't been sitting still for the past 3 years. I have further specialized in cinderellas. That is why I would like to respond to this topic as well.

At the end of 2013, at the International Stamp Fair in Hong Kong, I bumped into an Australian cinderella collector, Mr. Mark Scott. After drinking two cups of coffee, Mark took me to a special section of the fair. I saw a large sign with Chinese text hanging above the stand and I asked Mark what it said. According to Mark, I was now standing in front of the so-called " Sealing Seal " stand.

There I got talking to various foreign sealing seal dealers and they impressed upon me that a sealing stamp can indeed be qualified as a cinderella. They didn't stop talking about it. Before I knew it I was listening to them for hours and the fair was already over.

Perhaps a waste of the stock market, but my knowledge of the seal has been enriched to such an extent that I can rightfully confirm that a seal represents a cinderella.

If you have any further questions regarding this contribution, please feel free to contact me.

Vriendelijke groeten,

Wicky.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 13:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I totally agree, Sinbad, and that's how we're going to approach it. But that does not alter the fact that it must be established somewhere that it is a stamp that is not intended for postal traffic. As far as I can already judge, this will have to be done in the Type or Use type field. And it does not alter the fact that this requires a watertight (and value-free, Sinbad!) Definition to distinguish them from Sealing Stamps within Catawiki.

I would like to give you a first step, which we can build on further.

Sealing stamp: a piece of paper, serrated or gummed, reminiscent of a postage stamp, but with no printed country name and no face value.

Cinderella: a stamp that is not intended for postal traffic, but otherwise contains all the external characteristics of a stamp.

Fine tune it!

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • November 03, 2014 14:10
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Arco,

Cinderella: a stamp that is not intended for postal traffic, but otherwise contains all the external characteristics of a stamp.

That would mean that stamps from the Republic of Malukku Selatan, Viet-Cong, Darfur, Staffa, Viennese Prints from the Republic of Indonesia, Stamps from the government of Poland, Romania, Bulgarian and Albania from London (WWII) and Southern Sahara are no longer Cinderellas according to Catawiki? That would be a breakthrough, and the illegal spending of Haiti, Abkhazia and Turkmenistan?

Closing stamp: a jagged piece of paper, whether or not gummed, reminiscent of a postage stamp, but without printed country name and face value.

According to this definition, savings stamps from the AH, Shell, Rabobank, etc., but also various fiscal stamps or stamps that have completely different purposes, would fall under sealing stamps, which they clearly are not.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 14:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You misunderstand me, Sinbad. I am looking for formulations of watertight definitions and these are indeed created by carefully thinking about matters that may or may not be covered with the knowledge of today. So, listing exceptions alone is not enough, although they can be valuable in an argumentation in support of the definitions.

With savings stamps in mind,

Seal stamp could be for example:

Seal: a piece of paper, serrated or gummed, reminiscent of a postage stamp, but without a printed country name, no face value and no other value.

And so you keep going until it is waterproof.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • November 03, 2014 14:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Arco, I understand very well what you mean, but every definition I come up with to help you I then undermine myself with arguments and exceptions. (I am not only annoying for you but also for myself), I still think along with you :)

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 16:39
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That is why it may also be smart - in the interest of the Stamps section - to only make a definition for Seal Stamp. Everything that is not covered, belongs to Stamps. The term Cinderella will eventually disappear completely from that section. We only know stamps with characteristics that can be filtered.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • November 03, 2014 17:47
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It may be more sensible to define stamps. Everything that looks like stamps, but is not, are sealing stamps / cinderellas / decorations / savings stamps etc.

So the question arises: what is a stamp? The answer could be: A proof of prepayment of the postal carrier's services, to be attached to the object to be transported. Exception: the postage stamp, which indicates the underpaid .

A closing stamp is then something that is / can be used to seal an object with the intention of detecting whether it was opened during transport.

Sealing stamps can have a country name and / or value, but they are not postage stamps.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 17:56
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, Dick, that is going too far for me now, although you never know what the future will bring. Everything that is in Stamps will remain there for the time being. Catawiki has its own collection area for Seal Stamps and that area deserves a demarcation.

Do you really have examples of seal stamps with a country name AND value indication? And what does that value stand for?

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • November 03, 2014 18:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Well, I do not have any sealing stamps myself, but I believe to have seen sealing stamps from the Queen Wilhelmina Fund with value indication (10?), the proceeds of which were for the KWF, and therefore not intended to to pay for the transport of the mail.

The essence is, that a seal is not applied to pay for the transport of the object, but as a contribution to a good cause.

From I feel free to leave them with the stamps. After all, you asked for a clear description?

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,247 messages
  • November 03, 2014 18:15
added
info pages
reviews

How about this stamp?

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 18:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

But that's exactly what I mean. It has a country AND a value. Then it belongs to the Postage Stamps section, and it is there too. Whether the intention was to use it as a seal is irrelevant. For an ignorant collector it is a stamp and he will place it in that section. We can then add all the features we want and ensure that it is not standard in Mexico.

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,247 messages
  • November 03, 2014 18:56
added
info pages
reviews

Actually I should have added it in the seal stamps section, but I didn't know that at the time (that it existed). But if you want to place it with the stamps, you run a great risk that someone else will add the stamp to the seal section. Then the same item with different numbers and under different headings in the catalog.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 19:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, you don't run that risk if you add a watertight definition to that section. (;-)

And everything that does not fall under the heading Stamps. We will not change the rubric name for recognisability, but in fact it contains more than stamps. Well ... that's already the case now, so it's not that shocking. And that leaves something to think / wish for for Stamps 3.0.

Show original message
az60
VIP
  • 1,247 messages
  • November 03, 2014 19:55
added
info pages
reviews

Not shocking, no. I like the direction you want to take. But your definition is not yet watertight. We often do not find the name of the country on postage and service stamps. However, the use (postage, service) is often (always?) Indicated. Unfortunately, as Sinbad pointed out, it is easier to undermine a definition than to build it.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 20:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

(;-) We will really get there before the definition is absolutely necessary.

Show original message
  • 787 messages
  • November 03, 2014 21:21
November 03, 2014 21:21

closing seal :

"seal to close a telegram, a letter, etc.; sometimes printed with a text or representation to indicate an address, an exhibition, etc."

(van Dale Groot Dictionary of the Dutch language)

I have not (yet) found an equivalent (word with the same meaning and content) in another language.

NB Again to Sinbad before he flies out at me again if necessary:

From now on it is best to discuss with the editors of van Dale for what you think is "tendentious" and "incorrect" wording...and not with me.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • November 03, 2014 21:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Sinbad doesn't fly out, because he has plenty to think about now that 'First Day Cover' is nowhere to be found on Catawiki. (;-)

Good that you looked up that definition. It is true that we need a more finely crafted story for Catawiki, because this is about which items we do not admit to the Stamps section, and not about the narrower meaning that a dictionary gives them. But it is always good to know how someone else describes a concept.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 45