Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 08, 2014 17:55
added
prices
reviews

I find it very difficult to search for a specific stamp in CW. It is that I own a paper catalog or I would never get out.

Now take a regular stamp, it says a girl feeding ducks. No title, nix. Now I know that seal, but if you don't know that and are therefore totally dependent on CW alone, how should you find that seal again. Browse until you find the stamp like in a paper catalog is a bit tricky, too much info you have to go through, so you never do that for a long time she will not be alive for a long time.

I think about searching To make things easier, you should attach a dropdown box to each stamp, as is the case with books, in which you can enter the keywords for that stamp (girl, duck). I know, there are disadvantages here too, but now you have to know exactly what the title is (there is nix) otherwise you will never find it ...

And don't say that every self-respecting collector does have a paper catalog. How can Catawiki present itself as an independent catalog? That dependence is already shown by the inclusion of catalog numbers from various other catalogs. That is actually not possible, I really do not understand this. Why not use the Matla catalog with the comics too? In my opinion it is still better (I will get the necessary comments again), everyone has been swearing about it for more than 40 years, but everyone is so happy that it is there.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • January 08, 2014 18:21
January 08, 2014 18:21

A moment ago I looked in the Suriname catalog and, to my inexpressible surprise, saw the name of Queen Juliana under the 1946 stamp of Queen Wilmelmina. Then searching becomes very difficult.

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 08, 2014 21:04
added
prices
reviews

@Moritz

Shoemaker keep to your reading.

The stamps also have a "dropdown box", only it says there in Dutch.

All that comment always on the stamps becomes annoying.

Unfortunately that is allowed with a forum.

@Gerardkluck

Yes, it is still human work.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • January 08, 2014 21:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@RobAmse,

This is the umpteenth time that you have told fellow catawikiers that they ..

Shoemaker keep with you reading.

Mind you in your own toko ect ect

Why are other users who are not allowed to collect stamps as their main hobby or who are administrators of another department, not say anything, notice or ask about you without you makes it clear to them that they have no business here?

Do you have to take a kind of philatelic basic exam before you can say something on the stamp forum?

Unfortunately that is with a forum.

Unfortunately, it is apparently also allowed that a fellow user may say regret to other users that they do not believe they are qualified or to comment on philately on Catawiki.

Do you sometimes need Rene and Marco to keep the stamp forum safe from comic collectors and administrators reviewing records?

@Morits,

H In that case, Catawiki can present itself as an independent catalog, this dependence is already shown by the inclusion of catalog numbers from various other catalogs. That is actually not possible, I really do not understand this.

Morits over time, many collectors and administrators have volunteered a lot of time in this department, but fair is fair Catawiki Stamps does very sincere, but a good paper catalog cannot (unfortunately) replace it yet, if you are serious (and by that I mean deeper into the matter) you cannot (yet) do without a good paper catalog, it also takes time, Yvert and Michel have been around for almost 100 years and employ professional professionals, what a bunch of volunteers have managed to do together in a few years to the present day is already clever, the '' collect-a-rom '' legacy for Europe is a disaster , but yes there had to be a starting database, and we now have this problem.

If the catalog number of professional catalogs is removed, I and most collectors can no longer use Catawiki (properly), we have a reference needed 95% of the stamps I find catawiki because I either know the catalog number of Michel or the year from the Michel, without paper catalogs I would also be able to find almost nothing (or clicking back and forth for a long time).

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 08, 2014 22:11
added
prices
reviews

Ah Sinbad anyway.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 08, 2014 22:58
added
prices
reviews

@Robamse

You become or actually are very annoying, I have been a stamp collector since my 10th year, or I am obliged to tell Catawiki what I collect before I can participate. I can only tell you one more thing: (stay clean - moderator) .

Will be removed by a moderator again, I'll repeat it a lot more times.

Show original message
  • 800 messages
  • January 08, 2014 23:19
added
prices
info pages

Would be quite handy, mainly collect stamps of cats and felines yourself, but usually it says the dropbox theme: animals / fauna well and that is also difficult to find than if you are collecting a specific animal species.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 09, 2014 06:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Gerardkluck, Vision, Morits: With databasesis it is always so that the searcher will never find in it, which is not present is. This applies to Catawiki, but also "special" catalogs, and completely different types of files such as literature reviews of magazines.

That means that if no experienced collector adds the category "cats" to the cat stamps, you can also search for "cats", but can rarely find those stamps via that word (only if it appears in the title).

You can see the positive effect, for example, in all the work that Miris has done. He has already provided many thousands of stamps in the category "birds", and you will find them when searching. And so you need someone for each specific part to add a category. And those "motif managers" are unfortunately even more rare at Catawiki than "country managers". (Vision: sign up for "cats"!).

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 09, 2014 08:04
added
prices
reviews

@Morits

I've been saving stamps for a while, but that's not an issue.

All I wrote is that you should have looked first.

At Theme "dropdownbox" you can specify your search action. This has nothing to do with knowledge of stamps but with knowledge of the site.

Hence cobbler stick to your last.

Your tone is familiar to me.

Every bird sings like it is beaked and repetition is the power of advertising.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • January 09, 2014 08:16
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Rob Amse

repetition is the power of advertising.

That's why you say every time that people should salt up on the forum for the power.

Another one-liner of negative attention is also attention

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 09, 2014 09:06
added
prices
reviews

hi Sinbad

I'll talk to you, at least something useful will come out .. :-)

What I mean for example by seal 284099 , you know that that is a children's stamp, someone who does not yet know that will see a text on the stamp, but that text is not included anywhere near the stamp in CW. And that is precisely the only thing that the user knows, so how should that stamp be found easily, other than via the difficult route ...

Theme / motif is not a section where you can search specifically , the area is much too large, because the data is too vague ...

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 09, 2014 09:29
added
prices
reviews

No powder has been washed against this type of rack.

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • January 09, 2014 11:41

And no herb either!

Morits is clear enough! Apart from a seasoned NL collector, no one will be able to recognize this seal as a Children's Seal! Maybe someone is thinking of a surcharge stamp thanks to the + ???

Just enter the complete text on the seal in the details and make that field accessible via a text search function ...

Can the programmers of CW handle that? ??? In addition to perfecting the auctions, will they get time and money for it ??? Prior is prior, the bishop said to the Friar Minor ...

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 09, 2014 11:57
added
prices
reviews
Like 2474569 .
Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 09, 2014 12:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Morits,

What data are you assuming?

I know:

Country the Netherlands

Basic color: green

Text: probably contains "boy".

If I search for "Netherlands green boy" throughout Catawiki, I find 3 items, the third of which is your stamp. It is mainly a search for a combination of data, which everyone can already retrieve from the (unknown to him/her) seal. You will not always be able to derive sufficient basic information from the stamp, so it will not always work. But I still estimate that your scoring chance will be quite high.

My mistake, of course, is that I assume the searcher is smart enough to use the right combination of search terms...

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 09, 2014 13:14
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Starting points: Israel, Star of David. You will then find 1677505 and 2474569 (with and without tab), in the middle of about 60 stamps.

Show original message
  • 2,412 messages
  • January 09, 2014 13:47
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Vision: Just selected themes on the main page and then Cats selected. Here the result .

Or did you not mean that? ?

Show original message
  • 1,756 messages
  • January 09, 2014 14:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Just enter the complete text on the seal in the details and make that field accessible via a text search function ....

It seems more convenient to me to enter such text in the title field. There is a title field for that. A title is primarily something that appears on the object \ packaging and, failing that, something that describes the object.

The term "children's stamps" does neither. It's kind of a theme, whatever. But in any case not a proper title. And because that information is already included in the theme field, it is also completely unnecessary and you actually leave a complete identification possibility unused.

What happens here is in fact comparable to a book entitled "children's books "give it.

Show original message
  • 4,320 messages
  • January 09, 2014 15:04
added
prices
info pages

In almost all of Catawiki, the basic principle applies that the title is, in principle, the text on the object. Not with stamps. The handbook states:

All stamps in a series generally have the same title (first entry box).

In many cases, the title is also identical to the series name.

And why should that be?

(that is the quietest in the photo gallery, so you can immediately see what belongs together).

I'm glad I don't collect stamps.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • January 09, 2014 16:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews
The fact that the stamp is given the title of the series is unique in the philately catalogs and only at Catawiki and is very nice, the title of the series is indigenous images, the separate stamps are a temple, a dancer, a church and an owl, but they are all called indigenous images go and find your owl, but by the way that what is on the seal is not automatically the title of the seal the image can be a dove and the title 50 years of peace or the image is a Quran, the title introduction of the sharia, the image a monastery the title 1000 years city of Melk ect ect that what is depicted on the seal says nothing or the title of the seal and certainly nothing about the series to which the seal in question belongs.
Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 09, 2014 16:38
added
prices
reviews

Sinbad

but if there is a text on the stamp, then it makes sense to include that text as a title, then also include the theme / motif (just to add it call) the features of the seal like you say a temple or dancer. The series name will then be native images. To take that Star of David, there is also a text on it, an English text, which should then be placed in the title field and at characteristics 'Star of David'.

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 09, 2014 16:53
added
prices
reviews

See history

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 09, 2014 17:55
added
prices
reviews

I just looked at a piece of the stamps handbook, as a result of what book magazine has written and I was very shocked. The position that a title is violated just to benefit the presentation should never, ever. This goes against everything that has to do with automation. If a title is as it is, it should be filled in that way, not otherwise, and the programmers should ensure that it is properly presented. This is already taken into account throughout Catawiki. If you edit titles now, you can 'never' change them later once the presentation has been completed. Bad thing that this has been approved.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • January 09, 2014 18:05
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I totally agree, Morits. It is truly astonishing that in five years no one at Postzegels has risen to hold a terrible house in that area. Presumably it has to do with the once quite coercive domination of the Collectarom event?

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • January 09, 2014 18:31
added
prices
reviews

I wish I could understand comics as much as the comic people know about stamps.

Gosh, what a solution that will make and make life easier.

But yeah , Catawiki is simply comics. They even give away stamps and the strippers fight for it.

Nice right.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 82